“Gem!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Rosemarkie easter 2014 so this was the perfect place to eat. We were staying a very short walk away! Decent bottled ales, good wine choices and a varied menu make this a great place to eat. Would go again when in the area.

2  Thank Debbie G

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our last trip here was a year ago, my wife and friends come up here once a year to stay in the picturesque village of Rosemarkie. We came last year to Crofters Bistro to see what it was like under the new ownership. I'm glad to report they have gone from strength to strength, we came up for the Easter weekend and booked well in advance to eat at the bistro on Easter Friday for lunch and on the Saturday for dinner. The bistro has got a slight refurb this year, with a lovely brick built bbq area outside, which was absolutely heaving on the Friday, with the sun shining, it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon, the food was fantastic too, all cooked on the bbq, pork chorizo and fennel burgers, Cajun chicken, prawn skewers, salads, and chips, and a home made roasted tomato sauce.
We went inside to order another round of drinks and it was packed inside too, so the new owners have clearly set their mark here. Saturdays meal was just as amazing, I had the partridge terrine with tomato and apple chutney, followed by the sea bass with pesto and white wine mustard sauce, and my wife had the pork belly, the rest of our group each had something different, and we were all very satisfied, the presentation is amazing, with lovely little micro herbs, and parma wrapped asparagus. These guys clearly know what they are doing, and Saturday was packed too, I'm glad we booked. I got talking to the owner who is also the head chef as we went to pay our bill, he was re stocking the new deli corner shop that they have installed which looks fantastic, where they bake and sell their own, breads, pies, pates, cured bacons, an array of cheeses, and condiments, as well as local beers and whiskeys. He was a lovely polite chap, we all told him what a great job he is doing, and we look forward to visiting again next year!!

3  Thank isleoffood
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We visited this restaurant after reading great reviews. The waiting staff were very attentive and welcoming. We ordered fish and chips, the presentation was lovely as was the home made chips, but the fish should have never been served as it was well overcooked. The batter was so crisp it was inedible and the haddock was completely dry and tasteless. We are not normally complainers but by the end of the meal we felt we had to say something. We were asked how did we enjoy the meal, we said how disappointed we were as the fish was terrible. Expecting some sort of response from the kitchen when we went to pay, nothing was said and we had to pay our tab in full. Obviously customer care is not important in the restaurant and for this reason we shall not be visiting this eatery again!

3  Thank CMack2014
Crofters B, Owner at Crofter's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Please check your message inbox. Many thanks.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

After a terribly disappointing meal at Sutherlands in Dornoch we nearly didn't go out at all in Rosemarkie. Thankfully the wardens on the C &C club site said that Crofters was very good so we decided to give it a try. Wow ! I eat fish and fowl, the whitebait starter and Sea Beam were both cooked to perfection and so good. My partner's vegetarian food was exquisite too. When it came to afters we asked if we could have spare plates so that we could share a pud and also a cheese board. It was no trouble. Lovely atmosphere, superb setting, attentive staff and even appropriate and non intrusive music all made for a first rate night. We will go back as soon as we are in the area next. Such a pity that we live 300 miles away !

2  Thank Martyn H
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited the bistro during our 3 night stay at the Rosemarkie camping and caravan club site and could not have been made more welcome. The staff were very polite, enthusiastic and friendly and their knowledge regarding the food and the local area was very useful. We had prawns with chilli, white wine and herbs as a starter and my OH said it was fab, he paired this with a Happy Chappy beer from the Cromarty brewery. For mains I had the rib-eye steak with onion rings, asparagus wrapped in bacon, hand cut fries and green beans with a mushroom sauce. I have to say this steak was amongst the best I have eaten in a restaurant in the UK, and the rest of the meal was excellent too. My OH's venison stew was incredibly tasty as were the vegetables served with it, he had another Cromarty ale with this, a Hop your Cherry, he said it went really well together. Puddings! well I'm glad I didn't have a starter, it would have been a crime to miss out on the delicious sticky toffee pudding and my OH had to try the treacle tart, they were awesome, not a crumb left! Didn't eat the next day lol. The portions were very generous. The view over the water set the scene for a really great evening and we would definitely eat there again.

1  Thank kj52_10