“Lovely lunch”

The Plough Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Rosemarkie
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Newly renovated lounge and restaurant offering the finest of local food and drink. Exciting new menu accommodating vegan, vegetarian, GF and kids. Our lounge bar has an extensive range of north of Scotland gin, vodka, beer and whisky. Our public bar is in its original form, we celebrate its listed status as one of the very few traditional horse shoe bars offering a vast range of drinks to suit all tastes. We welcome dogs into the public bar. We have ample parking and are on the main bus route through the Blackisle.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Decided to drop in for lunch .... Lovely meal, nice staff. Large car park, which has a path that leads to the beach. Great for friends, family, and the dog(s) ....

1  Thank sheilro

Reviewed 30 July 2017

So happy to have this place so close to the car park from the Glen! After walking the Fairy Glen it was so nice to have this quaint place to have some food! I tried my first IronBru it is like a Creme and Orange soda combined! Really tasty and refreshing and my new favorite soda! I had the cheese fries! the cheese was so fresh and delicious and the chips were delicious! it really it the spot at the end of a long hike! I don't know what the other people on the tour ate but I heard NO complaints!! And it appeared as though the locals enjoyed coming there! A really nice place to eat!!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Not a good evening at all. Started with the barman (who appeared to have had a sense of humour bypass) failing to mange to pour a beer and not understanding what "Is it dead, then?" meant.

Continued with my chum's order of haddock, home made tartare sauce, chips ..." (as the menu stated) not having the tartare sauce. When asked for it, waitress said "Sorry, there's no tartare sauce." Could have told him when he ordered.

My macaroni cheese (Scotland's national dish) was poor. P*ss poor. Could have been made by a nursery class.

Friends' beef burgers could have been incinerated less to make them suitable for a crematorium end-product.

Then we ordered four more drinks. 10 minutes later reminded waitress and eventually glum barman comes and makes a big show of opening and serving the small, one serving bottle. I gave up and snatched mine in the end as I couldn't bear the drama, especially as we'd finished our food by then.

When we paid, we didn't leave a tip partially because it was all so bad and partially in protest as the people who'd come in late next to us (only other ones in the place) were told their drinks (a slimline tonic and a ginger beer) would be on the house because of the delay in cooking their food. AND they waited ages more ... Terrible. Hope they didn't leave a tip, either.

Three of us paid cash and the fourth went to Glum Barman, tried to explain that the waitress had taken cash from us and only wanted to pay his portion on a card. When that finally got through after several attempts at explaining, he used the contactless machine. Friend asked for receipt to check the amount he'd paid and was told the machine doesn't do receipts. Machine then proceeds to print out receipt. Egg on face look from the Glum.

Redeeming factor? The chips were OK.

Won't be going back even though it's close by and we tour round the eateries on a monthly basis. Give this a wide berth until something happens to improve the overall quality of the place. Shame that the owner has a wonderful cafe in the next town and could transfer something to this dire pub.

5  Thank jeremy_hotpepper
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Family of 8 made very welcome for lunch. Staff helpful and coming. Pub food and generous portions. Good value

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Waited ages to get our order taken ...sat near the kitchen and our server had put out wrong order to a table so all we could hear was her swearing....not good or professional when we had a minor with us...

2  Thank Tracy C
Fortrose C, Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Hi Tracy. Thankyou for taking the time to review us. Apologies that your experience was not great. I would like to take this matter further with the member of staff who was swearing as this is a great concern to us and certainly should not happen. Would you mind emailing me on plough.rosemarkie@gmail.com detailing the time and date you visited.
Kindest regards