“Don't be dazzled” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Stoke Canon B&B and Inns
Darmstadt, Germany
“Don't be dazzled”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I can clearly reinforce the opinion of ramz_2011. It's still old and dirty here, the rooms have a smell, the urin-spot is still there, the old shower is dribbling softly and we had several clothes moths in our room (the golden one). We thought, we booked ensuite, but hadn't. Our mistake, so we had to use the facilities with a (sorry) dirty old man. The toilet had spots of, I dare not tell, on it, and of course the hostess could not go in there every hour if, well, this person had a go, but it still was repelling. Maybe the ensuite room is clean, we cannot tell.

The hostess didn't introduce herself at our arrival, but was apart from that friendly enough. The breakfast took a bit long and the fried egg wasn't properly done. I don't know why this is a 3* B&B. Maybe someone got dazzled by the nice surroundings - the garden, the pool, pictures of the rooms. We were, that's why we booked and wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

this place has central heating but it has no effect, we we freezing the whole time we stayed.
and that was at the beginning of may.
we were given the rosey room its like a time warp- 1970's sink and furniture and no en suite
you could put up with that, but the beds are terrible(all three of them in in this room) and should have been scrapped years ago.

the place is clean and the breakfast was ok we booked by internet for two nights but left ASAP and stayed in a premier inn in newton abbott.

the lady who runs culm vale seemed pleasant enough but the room/bed experience is my worst
in 30 years travelling round th UK

do yourself a favour spend a few quid more and use a premier inn

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alan o
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

A very warm welcome, we stayed in the Chalet, which actually is over the garage, it was clean and comfortable, my wife loved it," very quirky". The breakfast was excellent and set you up for the day. The pool was clean though weather wasn't up to much, so never actually had a swim......

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

We have stayed at the Culm Vale B&B several times over the years while visiting family. The hosts are always pleasant and helpful. The rooms accommodate families nicely and the traditional English breakfast is cooked to perfection. Great location to Exeter. I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Otter18
North Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stayed here 2 nights. Room fine and a very good breakfast choice. Pleasant hostess.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Toadqueen
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

Stayed 3 nights excellent value we were made very welcome it's a Pefect B&B lovely room (pink room) realy clean bathroom and house throughout.
Breakfast was superb and we were given a chioce of what we wanted.
We found this B&B straight away with the aid of our Sat Nav.
Wi Fi was available and worked as well as mine at home.
The Country house is surrounded with a realy pleasent well maintained garden.
This was our first time in a B&B and We found the experence first class and would defently recomend this B&B to others and would stay there again ourselves.
Thanks again Culm Vale Country House your the best.
Ian & Anne Felton

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ian4688
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Avoid at all costs! After reading the previous reviews, I thought I'd found a decent place to say at a very reasonable price. However, after staying there (unfortunately) for two nights, I have to say that it was definitely not worth it! I wish I'd gone somewhere else, but couldn't because there was nothing available at that short notice.

This family-run hotel is a lovely English country house, not far from Exeter town. It's a lovely house with pleasant gardens and surroundings. One of my main reasons for booking this hotel in the first place was its location – only 3 miles away from Exeter, and a nice drive into town. However the pleasantries end there! The hotel is run by a husband and wife team, with 2 small children. The woman of the house seems pleasant enough and hospitable in nature, but can't say the same about the husband, due to the way he dealt with my complaint.

Even with the 'central heating' on full blast during the night, the room was icy cold. I went downstairs to their living room (which by the way was lovely and warm and cosy), and complained that my room ('The Pink Room') was very cold. The man of the house first sent up his 10-yr old child to look at my room. The boy agreed that my room was cold and informed me that he'd go down and tell his parents. I told him that a small portable heater would solve the problem and again he said he'd "tell them downstairs". After a while, he came back to 'check for drafts', after which he said he'd "tell them downstairs again". I again re-iterated that a small portable heater would solve the problem.

After a few minutes, the man himself came up. He had a very quick look around and concluded that that there was nothing wrong. The room was 'reasonably fine' in his opinion. Again I asked for a portable heater, and again he said that I didn't need one and also they didn't have one anyway! He told me to fill up the hot-water bottle and sit with that in my lap!

The woman of the house said that they turned off the heating during the day to save costs. That's fair enough, as I was out during the day anyway. However, if they had had it running throughout the day, maybe the upstairs guest rooms wouldn't be so cold. 'Guest' being the operative word, but not to these hoteliers! The woman told me that they had free Wi-Fi available, and after switching on my laptop, I discovered that indeed there was. However, it might as well not even be there. The speed was ridiculously slow. My phone's GPRS was faster, so I used that to check my emails.

Other annoyances include the shared bathroom; the hygiene was appalling. There were patches of urine on the toilet seat! As for the bathroom shower, it was more like a 'light warm rain', with hardly any pressure in the water. Suffice to say, I only had one shower and decided to have a proper clean when I got home.

It was a cheap hotel, however even at these prices there have to be standards surely! I will definitely be complaining to the AA regarding the undeserved star rating. To conclude, I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone, unless you want to experience life back in the dark ages!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,483 reviews
Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Exeter

Been to Culm Vale Country House? Share your experiences!