“Like a night at home with good friends for company”

Casona Rosa, Morelia
Ranked #1 of 49 Morelia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The saying "mi casa et su casa" was born here! Not only did Rose provide us with a beautiful suite, but we also were welcomed into the main house where we had use of the kitchen , dining room, living room and TV room. Sitting around the table, enjoying a bottle of wine with Rose and the other guests, passing a guitar and sharing music and songs, our time at Casona Rosa was the highlight of our recent trip to Mexico. Rose actually accompanied us on our tour of the nearby artesan villages and introduced us to all the beautiful things made here. She sourced all the items I was looking for and I was confident that my purchases were from the best artists of that genre and my price range. We also spent a day with Jesus Lopez, who works with Rose when tourists want a guided trip and driver. Jesus was a wonderful source of knowledge of the area and as well as the history, gave us really good advice on where to eat, both in Morelia and out on tour. We visited and ate at places we would have walked right by without his help. I cannot wait to return to Morelia and Casona Rosa, as there is so much left to see and do in the area, and I will feel like i have come home. Muchas gracias Rosa!

Room Tip: The Patzcuaro suite was near the rear of the home and very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sheila B

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I went to Morelia on Thursday, Feb 6, 2014 with my girlfriend from Peru. The location was just two blocks from the center of Morelia. We stayed for 1 night in the Frida Kahlo room. Rosa very kindly let me park my motorcycle inside of the entrance so that it was as safe as could be during the night. The room was lovely with lots of Frida photos, books and objects, my girlfriend was very impressed. The bathroom was private for the room only and it felt very connected to the room due to a privacy curtain. The bathroom was very nice with lots of towels and organized just like one's home bathroom would be. Lots of hot water available. We slept great. Rosa was always available with information and ideas to help your stay in Morelia be pleasant.

Casa Rasona is like a home away from home in Morelia. I heartily recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee H
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've been coming to Morelia for the past seven years, primarily for the Film Festival that takes place in October, but to also explore the area a bit more. I've stayed in every nice hotel in Morelia from the Virrey de Mendoza to Cantera Diez to Juaninos, Casa Madrona and Villa Montana. All nice in their own way . . . but staying with Rose Calderone at her home was a very special treat, indeed. The best part about Casa Rosa is, well . . . Rose! What a beautiful person she is . . . warm, caring, hospitable, respectful . . . and a great resource if you've never been to Morelia or Michoacan. Rose went out of her way not only for us but each of her guests to make sure we were well taken care of, providing insight into not only how to get around and about in Morelia, but incredible one-of-a-kind suggestions for day trips, travel, art, culture, music, food . . . you get not only a great place to stay at Casa Rosa, you get a personalized vacation that not everyone gets when they come to Morelia. Rose has drivers, tour guides, artists, and local residents that can provide you a unique insight into the REAL Michoacan --- a magical place. We actually occupied a good portion of the house during our stay. There were 5 of us staying at one point plus our two dogs. We had use of the back of the house and the Patzcuaro suite, which included our own dining room and office. This came in VERY handy as we were able to kill several birds with one stone: we could have our pets with us, we had our nanny's with us, we could watch movies all day at the festival, we could conduct business, we could have our privacy or engage with other guests . . . it was ideal for our needs. The rooms themselves were well tended to . . . each with its own unique flair, all from Rose's travels and collections throughout Mexico. Some rooms are definitely better than others so make sure you email Rose and let her know specifically what you are looking for . . . trust me . . . she will do her absolute best to accommodate you. You can't beat the location, the hospitality, the insight into Michoacan, the comfort and amazing time you will have at Casa Rosa. Personally, we are looking forward to going back and spending more time with Rose and her team of wonderful staff and friends. Fer, myself, "Piccola" Frida aka the Piranha and little Miss Mocha all send you our love Rose. Come visit us as well!!! We would love to host you too!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon L
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am a terrible procrastinator, so I am writing this review several months after my family's stay at Casona Rosa (it was March 2013)...
We had a wonderful time at the house. we stayed I believe in the Frida suite, which was perfect as our small daughter could have the adjoining little bedroom, and it was so bright and colourful. Rose was very good with our little one, Leila from the start, and spoke to her in a kind, respectful way- as opposed to a goo goo gaga over the top sweet sort of way.

We met a good friend of Rose's who was staying on the main floor, and over the course of our stay met other guests of the house and had a lot of nice chats over wine in the beautiful dining room. The house is often full of people, chatter and music, which we loved. That being said, if you want to keep to yourself, hear no one and be heard by no one, than this isn't the place for you as you sort of have no choice but to join the party!

The food, which can be prepared at an extra cost, is plentiful, delicious and well worth it- as well there are several amazing restaurants nearby that Rose can recommend you. Complimentary coffee was also wonderful. One thing I will mention- laundry service is available on site, but we found the price a bit steep- there may be somewhere in town where you can get it done cheaper, although for convenience it can't be beat.

Funnily, it turned out we have a mutual friend with Rose in the city whom we trust, so when one night Rose offered to babysit Leila so we could have a bit of time out on the town, we happily accepted- and Leila had a blast watching a movie and chatting with Rose, who very graciously let Leila stay in her room for the night (which was just down the hall-with several check-ins- also, Rose did this purely as a favour and at no charge)

After a side trip to Patzcuaro, we stayed another night at Rose's and wanted to bring some friends along...this was no problem, Rose gave us a discounted rate and set us up in an enormous double suite on the main floor ( the Patzcuaro, I believe) We left there with a great feeling about the place, and Rose, and her very friendly staff, and are happy knowing that we would be truly welcomed back at any time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen O
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I have been on an extensive trip (2 1/2 months) through Mexico and were so glad that we took time away from the beach to visit the fascinating city of Morelia in the central highlands of Mexico. Rose Calderon, our host at the lively B&B, Casona Rosa, is dedicated to the arts and culture of Michoacan. Her B&B is a showcase of the rich heritage of the arts and crafts to be found in the region. Casona Rosa is located in the historic district of Morelia which is SAFE and fascinating with its blocks of colonial era buildings, plazas, murals, AND (to our delight) delicious restaurants.
Housekeeping staff are very sweet and Jesus, the driver and tour guide, speaks excellent English and is very well informed.
It's an easy trip from the beautiful beaches of Zihuatanejo to Morelia and then to the fascinating district of Lago de Patzcuaro. This is a part of Mexico that is not to be missed.
Hint: be sure to bring (or get) warm clothes if travelling from the coast - days are mild and sunny - temps drop at night in the mountains.

Room Tip: It was unusually cold when we were in Morelia so Rose put us in the Freida rooms upstairs which wer...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LilyKate
Reviewed 8 January 2014

When you enter Casona Rosa you are treated to a patio filled with flowers, plants, and beautiful artifacts made by artisans of Michoacan.

Our hostess, Rose Calderone, is well read on the arts of Michoacan and its artesans. I have a big interest in this, living in Patzcuaro about an hour away. Morelia is a wonderful "city" experience for me and Rose helped me get to know it better. I am planning to go there at least once a month and, of course, will stay at Casona Rosa. It is just a couple of blocks from the main cathedral and plazas with marvelous restaurants and great people watching.
I stayed in the Patzcuaro room which was perfect for me. Rose arranged for me to be picked up at the Morelia airport at 4:00 a.m. by a very sweet and professional driver. The darker room two in the Patzcuaro Suite was perfect for me to sleep until almost mid day.

Everything was great...from the breakfast coffee and food to the chance to meet interesting guests and locals. I recommend it highly...I know you'll love the Casona Rosa and my new friend, Rose Calderone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank dolores402014
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was so bowled over by all of the very positive reviews that I didn't even read the couple of reviews that were less than stellar. I wish I had paid them some attention. Even before we arrived there were problems with first making the required deposit (Casona Rosa's paypal account was on the fritz) and then getting someone to confirm the deposit I made by personally depositing the money in a branch of Rose's bank here in the states. Nothing serious. I figured that the extra work making the reservation would be outweighed by the b&b described in the 4 star reviews.
However, when we arrived, I thought we must be in the wrong place. The living and dining room were very dark, the carpeting was dirty and worn, there was an odd smell. Our room was on the second floor and is advertised as having a private bath but it is the one with the bath in the hall (Frida Kahlo suite). We had to leave our bedroom and walk into the hall to get to the bathroom.

The Casona is well located just a few blocks from the main street through colonial downtown. It is quiet and the bed was comfortable. On the other hand, breakfast is, at best, an afterthought. The first morning - mail and paperwork were simply swept off the dining room table and we were told to have a seat. Coffee, fruit salad and a slice of toast. By the last morning, the table was actually set for breakfast which was a nice surprise. We did stay 4 nights - why? you might ask...mostly because we were simply too lazy to try and find another spot. However, we were glad that we had made reservations at a different b&b for our return trip to Morelia a few weeks later.

Room Tip: There is a room at the end of the hall on the second floor that has a true private bath. I'm not...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PamChicago
CasonaRosa, Owner at Casona Rosa, Morelia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2015

Hola,
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay here. If you had said anything
directly to me at the time, I would have done whatever I could, or recommended you
to another place more to your liking.

FYI: We do advertise as being an old (16th century) Colonial house on our website.

I thought you were enjoying yourselves, especially with the bride and groom for their private wedding here at the same time. It was so sweet of you and your husband to agree to be witnesses so they could complete their legal paperwork. Muchas gracias! For them it was
a meticulously planned once in a lifetime experience (review below yours).

Your flight was changed due to weather, and your time here was moved up by 3 days and you extended your stay by an extra few days, so you overlapped with the wedding couple. I wanted to hold the 5 suite Casona privately for them, yet I also wanted to keep your reservation for you, despite the big change in arrival and departure times during a wedding and at Christmas.

We do our best but north of the border winter weather & airlines can throw us some curve balls.

The strange smell you mentioned was COPAL, an indigenous insense that is burned in the churches here for purification; and from pre-Hispanic times the belief is that it clears evil spirits. The local Purepecha village of Santa Fe de Laguna specializes in the black pottery insense holders for generations.

We burn one stick every morning in the open-air courtyard, yet we never burn it in the interior rooms. I apologize as I didn't know that the copal insense offended you.

I am on a forum with 1,000 B&B owners and innkeepers around the world, all small businesses and given that we are not large hotels, we have more flexibility and are able to, and will go out of our way to change or to honor any request that is made directly to us at the time.

I hope Mexico is on your vacation list...as there are many states to discover, explore and enjoy.