“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 48 Morelia B&B and Inns
Sayulita, Mexico
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay with my two friends at Casa Rosa this last weekend. I travel often and reside in Mexico year round. I have never stayed anywhere quite like Casa Rosa. First, Rose's passion for indigenous art and culture in her decoration is fantastic. We joked that the profit she makes on her rentals must go into curating her folk art "museum", one that you can sleep in. Besides being lovely to look at, her home is comfortable, clean and inviting. We made a dinner with other guests staying there in her fully equipped kitchen. The location of her home is 2 blocks from the Catedral. Everything is a short distance away, including great restaurants. Rose is full of information and advice about the area. She accompanied us on a craft buying trip to Patzcuaro, and gave us background on the artists and craftsmen in the surrounding area. She has created something really unique in Morelia and I would encourage anyone to experience it for themselves. Already planning my next trip back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Dear Rosa, we can not begin to thank you enough for the warm hospitality we experienced during our stay at Casona Rosa, the highlight of our Mexico holiday. It was so much fun planning an impromptu dinner party and preparing it in your well equipped kitchen. A big bouquet to you for arranging the butterfly tour for me. Geraldo is an excellent driver, tour guide and a lovely man who shared so much about Morelia and the area. A big thank you to Lupie for going to get my sister in law the medicine and juice she required for her upset stomach. I can not find words to describe your beautifully appointed rooms and the art that fills Casona Rosa. Please give Susan a hug for me and I only hope one day I will be able to return.

Salute,
Sandy & Keith

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived after a very long day that began at 530 am. Our crew spent the entire day shooting footage for a movie on the Monarchs three hours away from Casona Rosa, So we were a real mixed bag of energies. Tired , inspired , hungry and a bit overwelmed. Rose opened the door and Welcomed us with a cheerful smile announcing that it was wine time. A welcome beyond words. Her first attention was getting us settled into our rooms. Her house assistant, Lupita is a lovely smiling welcoming woman, who was directed to take me to the Frieda Room. When she opened the door the loveliness of it took my breath away. Lupita showed me the private bathroom and gave me keys. I then joined the lively other guests in the private patio garden for wine. Her guests were interesting and a joy to get aquainted with. Rose was very helpful directing us to the local restaurants and seeing to our needs. After a long exciting day , it was just right. The room was dark and quiet and I had a wonderful night sleep. Rose and her staff are very good at what they do. and the coffee!!!!!. enjoy!

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the front and get morning sun. If you want to sleep in then ask for a room a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mari O
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Casona Rosa is more than a place to stay it is a delightful experience. The owner, Rosa Calderone, loves Morelia, her adopted home and does her best to make sure you have a great time in Morelia. She knows where to get the best fruit juices in town, what's happening when. Rosa can arrange tours for you with her excellent group of drivers cum tour guides. The rooms are delightful, breakfast is great. Also the location is ideal. You can walk to everything in the old town of Morelia.

Room Tip: Rose puts you in the best room for you.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Zinnia M
Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We have returned home from a February trip to Mexico that included a full week in Morelia. We stayed the entire seven days at Rose's Casona Rosa. The reviews we read on TripAdvisor almost sounded too good to be true but it truly is a wonderful place. I cannot imagine a place with more colorful decor. Rose was always friendly and seemed to be up on what was happening and where to go. Lupe was the friendly breakfast cook who also cleaned up the place. We totally enjoyed our stay and it seemed to even grow on us during our week. We had seen Morelia very well by the end of our week but we did not want to leave the casa.
The casa is only about three blocks away from the very center of the centro historico but on a street that was not very noisy. A beautiful entry with a cutout of Frida Kahlo greeted us next to Rose's office. The entry was partly covered and partly open to the elements and had chairs and tables and loads of plants.
There was a dining area for breakfast that was large enough to also have a sofa and chair and lots of reading material. In another part of the casa there was a room with a large screen TV and a computer for guests to use. There was free phone service to the US (and Canada?). Three of the suites were on the ground floor and two more were one floor upstairs.
Somehow Rose gave us the largest suite which consisted of a very large room with furniture that included a double bed as well as a single, a table and two chairs, and a sofa and another chair next to a coffee table. The other room in our suite included two more single beds. The only minor drawback was a very small bathroom. We did see three of the other suites after others had checked out and they were smaller but had larger bathrooms.
Breakfast was served starting at 8:30 and consisted of cut up fresh fruit (papaya, pineapple, bananas, and apple), coffee, and toast plus butter and jams. It became commonplace for guests to linger over breakfast and chat away an hour or more and Rose was usually on hand as well. While we were there the only guests were from the US and Canada but Rose mentioned that people from many countries had stayed with her.
Prices varied from suite to suite based at least partly on size. Our room could have accommodated five people but besides the two of us we would have had to pay a bit more had others been with us.
Our only concern ahead of time was how warm our room would be. Since it is still winter in February and we knew the morning lows would be in the 40s (5 to 10 Celcius) we hoped our room would be warm. It was and the blanket was also a very think and warm one.
Morelia is a terrific city with grand old Spanish architecture throughout the center of town. It deserves its UNESCO World Heritage Site honor.
This is one very attractive and grand place to stay. It was a splurge for us but we certainly enjoyed it very much. We give the casona our highest recommendation. Thanks Rose!
If anyone wants more information or has a question feel free to contact us through the TripAdvisor website.

Room Tip: Check with Rose on selecting which suite you would prefer.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank unclelouie
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The saying "mi casa et su casa" was born here! Not only did Rose provide us with a beautiful suite, but we also were welcomed into the main house where we had use of the kitchen , dining room, living room and TV room. Sitting around the table, enjoying a bottle of wine with Rose and the other guests, passing a guitar and sharing music and songs, our time at Casona Rosa was the highlight of our recent trip to Mexico. Rose actually accompanied us on our tour of the nearby artesan villages and introduced us to all the beautiful things made here. She sourced all the items I was looking for and I was confident that my purchases were from the best artists of that genre and my price range. We also spent a day with Jesus Lopez, who works with Rose when tourists want a guided trip and driver. Jesus was a wonderful source of knowledge of the area and as well as the history, gave us really good advice on where to eat, both in Morelia and out on tour. We visited and ate at places we would have walked right by without his help. I cannot wait to return to Morelia and Casona Rosa, as there is so much left to see and do in the area, and I will feel like i have come home. Muchas gracias Rosa!

Room Tip: The Patzcuaro suite was near the rear of the home and very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sheila B
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I went to Morelia on Thursday, Feb 6, 2014 with my girlfriend from Peru. The location was just two blocks from the center of Morelia. We stayed for 1 night in the Frida Kahlo room. Rosa very kindly let me park my motorcycle inside of the entrance so that it was as safe as could be during the night. The room was lovely with lots of Frida photos, books and objects, my girlfriend was very impressed. The bathroom was private for the room only and it felt very connected to the room due to a privacy curtain. The bathroom was very nice with lots of towels and organized just like one's home bathroom would be. Lots of hot water available. We slept great. Rosa was always available with information and ideas to help your stay in Morelia be pleasant.

Casa Rasona is like a home away from home in Morelia. I heartily recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple