“Fantastic Colonial Experience”

Casona Rosa, Morelia
Ranked #1 of 49 Morelia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a lovely stay and experienced wonderful friendly bi-lingual service and help with our touring questions. This small B&B like hotel has one of the finest locations in Morelia. Most of the attractions are only steps or blocks away.

All beds in Mexico are slightly shorter ( a few inches) because most Mexican tourists are shorter as well. In fact most of us living in Mexico (I live in Patzcuaro) have to read the sizes on bed sheets becauseU.S. sheets are a bit too long when it comes to fitted sheets. This is not the El Presidente Intercontinental, nor does it try to be.

Room Tip: All of the rooms Are A.O.K. Even one room where a small dog is gladly welcome!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlescasacoco

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Casona Rosa is a magic colorful posada in downtown Morelia decorated with handicrafts from Michoacán. Rose, the charismatic owner, has created this unique place and makes you feel at home from the moment you arrive. She is also a marvellous trip organizer and a real connoisseur of handicrafts of the region. The rooms are nice and spacious, and breakfast is delicious!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

While homely can be nice, this was a bit too much like we'd arrived at someone's house, perhaps unannounced so they hadn't had time to clean up. Too much stuff.bed a bit small, room stuffy, no aircon, dogs barking at night. Had to go outside room behind a curtain for bathroom. Also, the fact that the owner has lived here for years and has not learnt Spanish does bother me. Delicious fruit salad for breakfast, but some oj would be nice. Morelia is worth a visit. Tip to take taxi to Patzcuaro was a good one

Room Tip: Perhaps somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank reins76
CasonaRosa, Owner at Casona Rosa, Morelia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Gracias for your response. We appreciate our guests' input so we can work to continue to be #1 in Morelia with both TA and Lonely Planet.

If there is anything that we can do (same with any small b&b or hotel) all you have to do is ask and the staff will do what they can to make it happen. If breakfast isn't too one's liking...just make a request and we will provide it for you.

Casona Rosa does NOT have any animals that live here. No dogs, cats, birds, roosters or critters of any type! We do allow dogs in the Rosa Suite in back with it's own private courtyard. But the doggie wasn't ours and we had no visiitng guests with dogs during your visit.

We are in el centro Morelia and so there are city sounds to be sure! Including the rooster! Everytihing is in walking distance from our primo location and that is part of the charm
of being in an authentic 16th century building.

Some clarity about the Frida Suite: It does have a QUEEN size bed with box spring. Also, it has the most modern bathroom of all. Literally when you step one foot out of the bedroom door, the next foot is in the bathroom...that is how close it is. The curtain is up for privacy.

We do not have a/c but each room has a fan in both the bedroom and the den. Morelia is called
"the city of eternal spring" as it is cool. The only 2 warm to hot months are April and May. June starts our rainy season and it cools off.

Regarding your concern about my Spanish. I have 2 housekeepers who have been with me for 5 years and 1-1/2 years. They only speak Spanish, so my Spanish speaking guests are fine with that. Also, I communicate clearly with them in my semi-Spanish, as I do with my workers, staff, drivers, Spanish speaking guests and mercado people and other people I deal with on a daily basis. I do not speak well enough to have deep political nor philosphilcal converations yet I manage nicely day to day without a translator.

When I retire, one of the first thing I will do is takea Spanish immersion course!

Casona Rosa has the Galeria de Michocan, which sells the arts and crafts of our beautiful and reknowed state just in case people don't take the tours. And the house is a gallery for the pieces of the region. Most people appreciate being able to see the wares of the state, as the only other place to see it is at the Casa de las Artisanias.

One last note, I have a full-time housekeeping staff, and for only 5 suites...that is slightly overkill for a small place. So I promise you that each guest is expected and prepared for.....extensively, by me and the housekeeping and maintenace staff. There are sometimes walk-in guests, and Casona Rosa is clean, prepared and ready at every moment for our guests.

We all look forward to showing you a great time.....exceeding your expectations...and providing you a memorable vacation...that is our goal.

Enjoy the Magic of Michoacan! Viva la vida...
Gracias,
Rose, Proprietor
Casona Rosa

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Look no further for accommodation in Morelia! Casona Rosa is a very special place and owner Rose is a very special person. Rose has exquisite taste and the place is packed with beautiful hand-picked local art and artefacts. The courtyard is a lovely sun trap and is filled with beautiful plants The rooms are colourful, well adorned, spotless and well serviced. The vibe is warm, welcoming and inclusive. We met so many great, interesting people during our three week stay. It became home from home. Thank you Rose!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynton B
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay with my two friends at Casa Rosa this last weekend. I travel often and reside in Mexico year round. I have never stayed anywhere quite like Casa Rosa. First, Rose's passion for indigenous art and culture in her decoration is fantastic. We joked that the profit she makes on her rentals must go into curating her folk art "museum", one that you can sleep in. Besides being lovely to look at, her home is comfortable, clean and inviting. We made a dinner with other guests staying there in her fully equipped kitchen. The location of her home is 2 blocks from the Catedral. Everything is a short distance away, including great restaurants. Rose is full of information and advice about the area. She accompanied us on a craft buying trip to Patzcuaro, and gave us background on the artists and craftsmen in the surrounding area. She has created something really unique in Morelia and I would encourage anyone to experience it for themselves. Already planning my next trip back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Dear Rosa, we can not begin to thank you enough for the warm hospitality we experienced during our stay at Casona Rosa, the highlight of our Mexico holiday. It was so much fun planning an impromptu dinner party and preparing it in your well equipped kitchen. A big bouquet to you for arranging the butterfly tour for me. Geraldo is an excellent driver, tour guide and a lovely man who shared so much about Morelia and the area. A big thank you to Lupie for going to get my sister in law the medicine and juice she required for her upset stomach. I can not find words to describe your beautifully appointed rooms and the art that fills Casona Rosa. Please give Susan a hug for me and I only hope one day I will be able to return.

Salute,
Sandy & Keith

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived after a very long day that began at 530 am. Our crew spent the entire day shooting footage for a movie on the Monarchs three hours away from Casona Rosa, So we were a real mixed bag of energies. Tired , inspired , hungry and a bit overwelmed. Rose opened the door and Welcomed us with a cheerful smile announcing that it was wine time. A welcome beyond words. Her first attention was getting us settled into our rooms. Her house assistant, Lupita is a lovely smiling welcoming woman, who was directed to take me to the Frieda Room. When she opened the door the loveliness of it took my breath away. Lupita showed me the private bathroom and gave me keys. I then joined the lively other guests in the private patio garden for wine. Her guests were interesting and a joy to get aquainted with. Rose was very helpful directing us to the local restaurants and seeing to our needs. After a long exciting day , it was just right. The room was dark and quiet and I had a wonderful night sleep. Rose and her staff are very good at what they do. and the coffee!!!!!. enjoy!

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the front and get morning sun. If you want to sleep in then ask for a room a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business