“Good food & good atmosphere”
Review of Luna Oro - CLOSED

Luna Oro
Price range: US$11 - US$22
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Morelia, Mexico
“Good food & good atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

A lovely place to have some good food at fair prices. The restaurant sits inside a patio area surrounded by small, individual shops full of one-of-a-kind offerings. It's all very festival and not noisy at all. I had lunch with 2 other people and we all very much enjoyed our food. While none of us had any of the Mexican offerings, we enjoyed pizza, salad and soup, and a huge hamburger. One little complaint: service is friendly but not speedy so sit back, enjoy a drink and the atmosphere.

• Visited November 2013

Erongarícuaro, Michoacán, Mexico
“Beautiful space full of treasures”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Luna Oro is a space full of beauty and tranquility. It is a small café on a shady patio that is surrounded by a fantastic store with esoteric books and natural fabric clothes and art objects of high quality. The people who staff and run the place are friendly and helpful. It was a delight just to wander through the place and feel the atmosphere. If you want an alternative to the noise and hubbub of Morelia, this is the place to get it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank chazdews
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“very good food, charming setting”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

this lovely little restaurant in situated in the patio of an old house surrounded by a gift shop. It sounds a bit mundane, but it´s very charming especially with the water fountain in the midst of everything. the food is interesting and not too pricey. I had Morelian quesadillas and my friend, witch pasta. Both dishes were good and well served. We paid around $15 with each including a drink.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank calie
guadalajara, mexico
“Awesome magical place in the heart of Morelia!”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I recently had the opportunity to visit Morelia on business, which I often do. I usually have lunch or dinner in one of the many places you can find all around the central 'Plaza', by the Cathedral; they are in general quite average, good places to stop by and go on. Nothing to tell back at home. But what a wonderful surprise was awaiting this time! This Luna Oro is a recent opening downtown, located just steps from the main Ave. Madero, half a block away from Hotel de la Soledad, and has very particular features which I really loved. It occupies a beautiful old colonial building which has been masterly adapted by its owners, Silvia and Sergio, a very nice couple whom I had the opportunity to chat with for a while. No doubt they know their business! The restaurant is located in the central patio, where you can find a beautiful traditional fountain. And the food!! OMG, this is where you really notice the difference with the nearby places. It is very well presented, yet umpresumptiously, and with enough variety to suit every taste. I was in a visit for lunch, which was very good, so good in fact that I decided to return for dinner! No dissapointment at all!! These guys have someone in the kitchen who really knows his/her job. Beautifully appointed dishes, scrumptiously prepared, at very reasonable prices and in a lovely environment. What else can you ask for? Even if you're not in for a meal it is quite worthwhile to pay them a visit, since the coffee they prepare is to die for!
Of special interest is to mention there's a very unique library at the entrance, very well appointed as well, but what I really liked is that the restaurant is surrounded by, in the aisles and in the back, the most interesting variety of mexican folk art as well by beautiful garments (mainly from India is my guess).
This is all to say Luna Oro is kind of eclectic, yet with the particular touch of good taste not found very often, in Morelia or anywhere else.
I can't wait to go back on my next visit! I truly recommend it.

• Visited May 2011