“Hostel or Dormitory Quality... at Best”

Vista Express Morelia
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Morelia
IntrepidMiami
“Hostel or Dormitory Quality... at Best”
Reviewed 17 January 2009

Have high degree of trust in Tripadvisor so when I saw this place ranked at #5 in Morelia I thought it would be fine but boy was I wrong! My first instinct was to stay at the Virrey de Mendoza but I was seeing over $200.00 a night and didn't want to pay that.

But, when me and my partner got to the Arancazu I realized we'd made a mistake ...but still I thought, well, just 3 nights in Morelia so we ought to be able to handle the cheap institutional look and dirty carpets. At $55.00 a night however the room was not a particularly good deal. After a long first day of touring around the city and experiencing nightlife to boot we repaired very late to our room for much needed rest but no rest for the weary here due to the uncomfortable bed (too short and I'm only 5'9"), sounds of slamming doors and voices from adjacent rooms all night, poor ventilation and then construction on a room below beginning at 8am.

After breakfast we returned to the Aranzazu, packed up our things and moved to Virrey de Mendoza for the rest of our stay in Morelia
(see also Virrey review). Our visit to Morelia was saved as we were very happy with the move!

• Liked — The bellhop was very helpful and professional - a far cry from front desk personnel
  • Disliked — If I had been expecting a school dormitory or hostel-type environment I wouldn't have been so disappointed
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank IntrepidMiami

jacksonville, fl
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Following the suggestion of another T/A member, I booked my room using the Sidestep booking agent. It did generate a very attractive rate for this city, which, for some reason, has very high hotel rates.

The location was a block from the main drag between the city's center and the aqueduct and Santuario de Guadalupe (which was perfect for 12 December). The room, on balance, was comfortable and quiet -- probably more so than many of the more expensive places near the Cathedral.

On the minus side, there was not a lot of charm in the place -- it appears to be a place that caters to business travelers and meetings. Also, there was a hefty charge for Internet use and I couldn't even figure out how to get it to work.

The little groovy bar across the street has Wi-Fi (unrestricted) as do many other eating/drinking places, so it' was only a minor inconvenience for me.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lack of decent and free internet.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Carolina
Reviewed 31 October 2008

Hotel Aranzazu in Morelia is one of a small Mexican chain. I booked through a travel website on Sidestep.com and the price was great compared to their rack rates. The hotel is well located, a few blocks from the main squares/catheddral yet on a quieter street. A big market is just a block away and there are two other hotels next door with handsome restaurants. The Aranzazu was very clean, had a pleasant restaurant (although the breakfast prices were out of line) and a very nice lobby area. I was given Room 205 which was a kind of suite, with a large room with a table and a nice bedroom with 2 queen beds. The bathroom was very large, had a great tub and shower. It had large windows facing the inner patio but it was never noisy even with the windows open for fresh air. I really enjoyed my stay at the Aranzazu and highly recommend it.

• Liked — comfort and price
  • Disliked — no internet access
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Travellers also viewed these Morelia hotels
City Express Morelia
Hotel & Suites Campestre Morelia
Hotel Horizon Morelia
Hotel Horizon Morelia
#8 of 65 in Morelia

Been to Vista Express Morelia? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Vista Express Morelia

Property: Vista Express Morelia
Address: Calle Aquiles Serdan 647 | Col. Centro Morelia Michoacán, Morelia 58000, Mexico (Formerly Vista Express)
Region: Mexico > Central Mexico and Gulf Coast > Michoacan > Morelia
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Wheelchair access
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Morelia
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2 star — Vista Express Morelia 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Vista Express Morelia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Aranzazu Acueducto Morelia