“Unique Historic Lodge in the middle of things” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meson de Jobito

Meson de Jobito
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Zacatecas
London
“Unique Historic Lodge in the middle of things”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

about $100 usd for a good size loft, nice large bed and linens, friendly staff, we received a small discount which resulted in zero breakfast, not exactly thrilled about that, but walking around Zacatecas is a treat in itself and lots of very economical places to eat, 20 cents for fresh bakery items, who cares about silly hotel management making silly rules. The hotels own dotcom was unattended as so often with Mexican companies who hire some cousin web "master" and
your email will never be seen again, so when we arrived they knew nothing about our reservation,
suggest to make a reservation via 3rd party sites.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cineasta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

We go to Jerez which is about an hour away all the time. This time we decided to go and check out Zacatecas so we stayed here for a night. The hotel was really nice! It has an old feel to it but was very comfortable. It was in a great location to get around the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

POSITIVES

o Very central – right in the center of the historic town.
o A large room with king bed
o Wifi and coffee maker in the room.
o Desk in the room (no light – so dark to read the guidebook)
o Fresh orange juice with breakfast

NEGATIVES

o Room damp – not mildly damp but the type that has clearly existed for some time with a very musty smell. At night the room was cold and damp.
o Bed cover has a stain, the sheets have a stain and the linens are old and cheap.
o The room feels like a mix of a 1970s motel and an English county hotel (Basil Fawlty is alive and working!) – you wouldn’t want to stay in either of them.
o The air conditioner sounds like a large industrial plant and took 5 hours but the room didn’t reach 23 Celsius – but the musty small remained.
o A rambling hotel with poor signage – lots of staircases up to small groups of rooms. No sign for reception, the restaurant etc.
o A strange room layout with the TV sited 7 yards from the sofa (I paced it out). Fewer stations than at my last hotel and very few in English. The desk is stuck in alcove (when there is plenty of space elsewhere in the room). With not much furniture the large room looks bare.
o Room has 6 dim lights – none of the room is very bright. 2 of the lamps have no switch and have to be turned on and off by pulling the cable out of the wall.
o The bathroom is dated with a Jacuzzi style bath (well worn – I have never seen a hotel that can get all the complicated plumbing clean – so I didn’t try it).
o Americano breakfast was included and I now know what Americans eat for breakfast. It featured 2 slices of processed ham – fried with plenty of oil, 2 eggs, a portion of vegetables (slightly warm) and some mole. The coffee was weak and almost tasteless. However the dining room was large and stylish. It opened late – I was treated to loud muzak but there was no heating. I sat in my jacket and I noticed waiters rubbing their hands from the cold.
o The receptionist was not able to give me basic information or a city map.

CONCLUSIONS

A depressing hotel to stay in. If I can tell that there is a problem with dampness 30 seconds after arriving in the room – that the management haven’t identified that there is a problem speaks volumes about them. The hotel doesn’t deliver old world charm and is dated and not well run. The business model appears to be to give as little as possible and charge as much as possible. I regretted that I’d booked 4 nights here and would never stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Joe_33
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The hotel was delightful. The building, over 200 years old, is beautiful. Our room had a bathtub which was great. Also the hotel has heat and since it was quite chilly when we were there, that was very welcome. Also the restaurant is very good. It's right downtown, close to everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathtub.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peg L
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a fabulous spot - centrally located in this beautiful and interesting city. The rooms are large and beautifully decorated. There was a man playing a grand piano at breakfast - that was elegant. The staff is very helpful. If you come by car - arrive at the back entrance as the front entrance is on a beautiful plaza which is pedestrian/walking only. The staff are warm and welcoming and very helpful.

Room Tip: We took the mid price room - king suite - large and 2 level - one level for bed and bathroom (with j...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank margueriteOttawa
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

One of my favorite hotels that I have ever stay at. Rooms are all unique and really big. Really cool setup. Great service and location...can not go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank torontolive
Cancun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

We arrived to Zacatecas at nightfall so we were looking for a nice, relaxing and centered hotel. We came to "El Meson del Jobito"and we were given a very reasonable rate so we decided to stay here. At the front desk the guys were pretty amazing, the woman who was in charge told us a story about the hotel which was supposedly haunted. We asked for the room which had been the scene of strange things, and of course it was available. We entered the room and the paintings and lamps were like if they had fallen and then reaccomodated in a strange position, I thought this was just to make the client believe that the room was really haunted so I straightened them up, and went off to sleep. The next day I woke up and what asurprise!... the lamps and paintings were exactly as I had left them. We left the Hotel after an incredible breakfast which was REALLY good, and started visiting the wonderful town of Zacatecas (which is for me one of the most beautiful places in Mexico). We came back in the night and we were very tired, but when we enter the room the paintings and lamps had been moved again, I told my frien "man, this is probably a bad joke, don't pay attention to it.". And so we got to our beds and fell asleep while watching a horror film. At 2 or 3 in the morning I felt something underneath my bed so I got up and there was nothing, I went to the bath and returned to bed, but when I returned the light were on. I didn't remember if I had left them on or not, so I turned them off and layed in my bed untill I fell asleep again. After an hour or half an hour maybe I heard a noise so I woke up my friend and asked if he had heard it to, he told me he had, it was a strange noise, like if there were horses out there. I told him it was nothing but right after that we heard a woman's voice saying strange things in spanish. That's when the thing got creepy... We stayed up watching the T.V. untill sunrise and after a bath we went to the front desk to tell the lady in charge, she told us that other customers had also felt a strange presence in that room and that it was nothing to worry about. So to finish, the holet is great, the service is pretty good, the rooms are full of antiques and confortable, and the food is EXCELENT. But this hotel has a particular story which is interesting to experience it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends