“Chaplins - Family Friendly Dining”
Review of Waterfront Brasserie - CLOSED

Waterfront Brasserie
Cuisines: British, French, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: You already have The Bluebird Cafe listed for Lee-on-the-Solent. The Waterfront Brasserie is just over the road.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Chaplins - Family Friendly Dining”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We noticed that the Waterfront Brassiere had a new name and signage displaying they now offered family friendly dining, we were playing at the park and thought we would go in for lunch. It was May half term week and the beach was busy, at midday we entered the restaurant and there was only one other occupied table. In hindsight this was a good indication to what we could expect as was the lukewarm reception. We had a waitress who wasn't able to answer our questions about the menu, and it took an hour for the food to arrive. Drinks service was slow and came in parts. The children (aged 1) started to get bit agitated waiting so long (they were hungry), so when we were finally served the food we were told we could now be quiet and stop scaring away the other customers (there were now two occupied tables!). One meal came without the peas that were part of the meal, the chicken pie came with beef gravy and the childrens came with peas instead of the beans we asked for. The burger was dry and spicy, the pies pastry was barely edible and in fact we left most of it. The lady at the table next to us sent hers back and it was returned to her with advise that the pastry was supposed to be like that and she should cover it in gravy. In short, it is not a family friendly experience and it was expense for the quality of the food. A real shame because it is a fantastic venue.

• Visited May 2014
13 Thank purple_fs

south east england
“shockingly disappointing!!!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Went for a romantic walk with husband thought wed pop in. First and last time. Only a few tables occupied, plenty staff. Tables dirty and uncleared. After waiting over 20 mins for someone anyone to come and take order we walked out!!! Such a shame. Great location nice building could be rocking...sadly the only thing we were left with feeling was shocking!!!!! Clearly unmanaged and staff dont give a hoot....

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank debbie m
Fareham
“Extremely disappointing :-(”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Went there having heard it was now a pancake house, assumed it would be similar to center parcs - how wrong was I?!! Hardly anyone in there and sat waiting for ages for waitress to come over. She had no customer service skills and I felt like we were putting her out. Again sat waiting for ages and a slovenley, unkept looking man bought a chocolate pancake to the table (I'd ordered savoury) I said it wasn't mine, no apology just an annoyed looked from him as sloped off. He went outside and was looking for the waitress, came back in and informed me he didnt know what was going on or where she had gone but someone would be with us soon! After more waiting I approached said man and said I wanted the bill, he sat down! Waitress then appeared and said food was ready so we stayed. Oh my goodness wish we hadn't, pale, limp, cold pancakes with soggy lettuce nestled next to it (my pet rabbit would have been disgusted!) need I go on! Warning to anyone with babies, theres no baby change facility, I had to change my baby on the floor of the corridor and then no bins to be found anywhere to dispose of nappy - far from child friendly. As others have said this could be an absolute money pit, great location with lots of passing trade but the people running it are clueless on every level!

2 Thank Lovehols124
Northampton, UK
“a shambles”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After an invigorating walk on the prom we were ready for a bite of lunch. This place is perfectly located on the seafront, next to an attractive playground and a unique building. Downhill from here I am sorry to say. A scruffy interior, menus on the floor, several tables with cardboard laid out on top of them (Why?). No greeting on arrival and slow to take the order from a very limited menu. There was a scruffily dressed chap who seemed to be serving. clueless might best describe him. The pancakes were modestly edible but the salad was clearly very tired. We couldn't wait to get out. The management (?) seem to have no idea, inspiration or commitment and one wonders why they bother.

4 Thank Crookedbillet
Hampshire
“Dreadful, just dreadful. Such a waste of a great location.”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just been to the pancake house for the third time for lunch. You'd think that on a busy half term, sunny afternoon, with a packed children's play park next door, the place would be heaving. Sadly not - there were just two tables in, and now I know why.

Despite being so empty, no-one came to take our order and after nearly 20 minutes we had to go and ask in the kitchen if we could order something. The kids wanted waffles. No waffles today. The kids wanted apple juice. No apple juice. Orange juice? Er, no. Bottle of water then. Sorry, no bottled water. We eventually had lemonade, which tasted of beer - perhaps they had used the beer hose for the lemonade without cleaning it? Who knows. Coffee was cold.

The food took ages to arrive. ("I'm sorry, there are only 3 of us in the kitchen today." - yes, and you've only got 6 people in the whole restaurant!!!)

When it finally did arrive it was barely edible. My daughter's pancake wasn't even visible beneath a thick black goo that was meant to be chocolate. She took one mouthful and left it. (Our kids aren't fussy eaters.)

Savoury pancakes were slightly better, but let down by being cold and accompanied by a dry, curling salad from a bag.

When I needed to take my toddler to the toilet during the meal, there was no toilet paper in any of the cubicles. I actually had to bring a soiled child out into the restaurant to ask for paper. There were no apologies of any kind, just a shrug.

When it was time to pay, it was another 20 mins before anyone would take our money. Personally I would have walked out and refused to pay, but it wasn't me paying.

This is such a shame - a restaurant right on the beach with panoramic views, next to a children's play park should be a little goldmine, permanently full and with a queue, like the wonderful Pebbles and Bay House Cafe just a mile down the road. The owners here have no idea how to run a restaurant and clearly no interest in it being a success.

Bad food, shoddy service. Will not return and would advise people to avoid at all costs.

2 Thank Jodles123UK