Leeward House B&B
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The George Hotel(Portsmouth)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ownerfull englishroom was cleanb blong weekendhearty breakfastcomplimentary toiletriestea and coffeestayed one nighttoasthome from homegreat bedwalk in showerminute walk from the sea frontfamily room was largebed and breakfastfruit juice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 April 2014

warm welcome by hosts and would recommend this bed and breakfast as i got a good nights sleep and good hearty breakfast will stop again if i am ever back in the area.
there was plenty of parking outside.
the room was very warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave D
Reviewed 26 February 2014

So realised sheets hadnt been washed in the 2 weeks that id stayed there, as there were still marks ob them from the week before, and they smelt vile,there is mould and cob webs all over the place, clearly hasnt been cleaned.
So i stripped my bed the following morning to be washed, only to get grief from the rudest and angry, owner, and then get kicked out the following day,if i could mark this place with minus stars i would!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Tylertronic
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Worst place I have ever been. The owner was a nasty bully, I’ve never had an experience like it and have stayed in some dodgy/cheap places over the years.

Booked direct and the email showed check in time was 2pm, booking.com showed 4pm so I thought I’d done myself a favour by going direct and was getting better treatment. Big mistake. After trying to get in to the place several times after 2pm and going away as no one answered the door I finally rang at 3.45pm to see what was going on. The owners were out shopping apparently and arrived just after 4pm with George(?) in a foul mood, “4.30 – 4.30 is the check in time on our website - I don’t care what Booking.com says – our website says 4.30”

Their website does NOT state 4.30pm – it say the ‘standard check-in time’ so when I saw 2pm check in on my confirmation I believed it. 4.30pm check-in is far from standard.

Pointing out the website discrepancies made matters worse as he continued to rant at us all the way in to the office area. Despite none of this being my fault I apologised to try and calm him down but he got more irate - “you shouldn’t be sorry - you should change your bad attitude….. we aren’t the Ritz you know’ – hold on i thought– this is YOUR mistake on YOUR website and I am a paying customer but had to grit my teeth and put up with his abuse as we needed a bed for the night and had paid upfront especially as he then aggressively asked if we wanted to find ourselves another B & B – well yes – we did at that point – but I saw no chance of getting the money back from this unpleasant man.

He would not listen to me at all – very, very rude. No chance of any apology, he was just trying to bully me into submission.

Got in a room eventually but he returned THREE times knocking on the door as he couldn’t find any record that we had paid and wanted us to settle up in cash there and then. We felt really unwelcome and as if he was trying to find any reason to get rid of us but he was proved merely incompetent as he had not recorded the payment properly but this annoyingly took 30 minutes for him to figure out – useless.

Another thing to consider is the ‘flexibility’ about times mentioned on their website is a complete farce. It was one of the reasons we chose this place as we were going to be out late the night before. Breakfast could only be 8am or 9am and we asked for a later checkout time were told he ‘didn’t want us lounging around in bed all day’ - booking.com shows you can have a 10am-12noon checkout – utter rubbish - he 'graciously' gave us till 10.30am. He really couldn’t care less about customer service although maybe at that point he could guess the review his place was going to be getting so didn’t make any effort.

Rude, aggressive and incompetent combined with a dated and very noisy room – avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Violet F
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at this B&B over Xmas for 3nights and thought it was great. Plenty of parking outside and our room was warm, cosy and clean. Hosts George & Maureen were very welcoming but at the same time left their guests alone so that you didn’t feel like you were intruding in someone else’s home.

There aren’t many good B&Bs out there that take dogs but Leeward House was more than happy to accommodate our little Jack Russell. However there was no sign that this was a ‘doggy’ B&B as it was clean, quiet and serviced well.

The breakfast room is a little small but as long as you stagger your breakfast times with the other guests this is a not a problem. I know this area very well as have family living nearby and this B&B is on a nice quiet road but still very close to shops and the seafront. We would definitely stay again if we needed somewhere that took dogs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lexy D
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Just spent there very good nights at this B&B, we stayed in the family room which was very comfortable and clean a large bathroom again clean and tidy cleaned every day with fresh towels, breakfast was very good with a nice selection, I recommend the full English.
Will recommend this place I will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family