“Beautiful all 'round”

Launceston Farm
Philomena7
“Beautiful all 'round”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Aside from the beautiful little village of Tarrant Monkton, just a short stroll from the front gate, Launceston Farm itself is simply delightful. Sarah is a wonderful host - and chef, with a delightful breakfast in the stylish breakfast room. Plenty of parking is available and both the grounds and house were lovely; my room was luxurious and well appointed, with a wonderful view to the fields beyond.

Very friendly, very good value and in a beautiful part of the countryside. I look forward to staying here again very soon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Wow! What fabulous photos. Thank you so much for your fantastic comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bucks
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Launceston Farm and would definately recommend it. The accommodation and service are of a high quality and the farmhouse is set in a beautiful, peaceful location. We stayed in the Orchard Room which has lovely views and a luxurious bathroom. Despite some reviews saying the host is a little abrupt, we found Sarah to be very pleasant and welcoming (the cake and tea on arrival was a nice touch). We'd recommend The Museum Inn for dinner - it's a short drive away (5 mins), but we thought the food was better than the Langton Arms (a 5 min walk away). There's a lot to do in the area so we'll be back again some time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was attending a training day in Poole and did not want to stay in the standard Premier Inn. I looked for a family-run local B&B and found Launceston on the FarmStay website. Since I was getting a single, it was the same price as the Premier Inn but luxurious instead of depressing. Do look at their website as it is informative and accurate as far as I could tell.

I was the only guest and it was glorious weather. I was provided tea and cake on the garden terrace and just sat out there in the sunshine, reading, wishing it would never end. The garden is large with one end open to the farm's fields, where sheep and lambs were contentedly grazing. Launceston is a working farm, and you can get a tour which I wish I had had time for. Look at the website for details.

The room was large and lovely, with a bathroom almost as big, and probably one of the nicest I've ever had the pleasure to use. It had a roll-top bath in the middle, an arm chair with magazines beside it, two sinks, and a shower in a corner. I wish I had had time to make better use of it.

For dinner, I was directed towards the nearby village. It was a lovely walk past picturesque thatched cottages and across a footbridge to the Langton Arms, about 5-10 minutes walk from the B&B. It was a perfect place for a meal, even on my own, though you may want to book ahead if you are a larger party during the busy season. It definitely seemed popular.

The breakfast I couldn't begin to do justice to. The proprietor is a good cook and the produce is usually local and homemade. I just wish there had been other people there to converse with. But it was still pleasant looking out to the garden, with Classic FM playing softly in the background.

I will definitely use this place again when I'm next having to go to Poole for business. It was only a half hour drive to my office.

My only tip is to liaise with the B&B owners regarding when you expect to arrive. My mobile was dead and I was unable to ring the number if no one answers the door, but I was only 5-10 minutes or so looking around before people turned up.

Room Tip: Only two rooms are singles, I believe. I loved the Orchard Room, and sat in the window seat looking...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Hi there

Thank you so much for your review. I hope you had a productive stay and your course proves very useful in the future.

All the best.

Sarah
Hampshire
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Thanks Sarah for a wonderful four days. Breakfast was delicious every morning and kept me going until evening, when Sarah cooked a wonderfully delicious three courses for me. (I needed this as was travelling alone and didnt want to be trawling around for something decent to eat each evening). Most importantly I got four really deep nights sleep - so peaceful, so quiet. The room was delightful especially the slipper bath in the bedroom - such luxury. Take time to look around the farm and if you are lucky bump into Sarah's family - Jimmi is so passionate about his work and took me to see a calf born that morning - such a priceless experience.

Out and about I went to Pythouse Walled Garden (so wished I hadnt eaten so much for breakfast and only had room for coffee), Lamer Tree Gardens and Kingston Lacy. Shaftesbury is great for the views, Sherbourne for shopping and is a lovely town. Take the road from Chettle to Shaftesbury and stop for stunning views across the downs.

I at out one evening - in the Langton Arms just down the road. Great recommendation,such great hosts and lovely food.

All in all, I am hoping for a revisit to Launceston Farm at some point. I loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your well-earned break with us and we hope you went home feeling much rested before resuming grandma duties.
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My husband and I spent only one night — not enough. We hope to return. The delicious fresh cake and tea, that Sarah served in the lounge, really hit the spot after our drive. If you love being out in the countryside, where there's not much traffic and noise, and appreciate the chance to stay in a lovely old (but with very modern bedrooms) farmhouse, this is perfect. It's an easy drive to other wonderful places to explore. Our room was clean; bed was comfy; breakfast was good; towels thick and fluffy. And an adorable, friendly little dog was on hand to greet us (and to "beg", very politely, for a tidbit or two of our breakfast). Wifi worked very well, which was important to us given our desire to stay in touch with an elderly parent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed one night at Launceston Farm in the Penfold room. On arrival we were greeted by Sarah, who could not have been more helpful, and gave us an excellent restaurant recommendation. Both the room and en-suite bathroom were well appointed, large and spotless. Breakfast met the same high standard. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
South West England
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I first wrote a review for Launceston Farm in 2009 and thought it time I updated it. My recent visit was in April 2013 and I am happy to say that the high standards continue. I stayed for B & B in Scraggs and the quality of the room, sleep and breakfast was excellent. The farm continues to look for ways to improve the customer experience - I noted on a recent email that evening meals are now available if booked - which is the sign of a good host. Sarah, as always, is charming and discreet.

Room Tip: Scraggs has a bath in the bedroom as well as a separate shower!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
#2 of 3 in Sixpenny Handley
No photo provided
The Anvil Inn
#7 of 22 in Blandford Forum

Been to Launceston Farm? Share your experiences!