“Beautiful place for a relaxing holiday”
Review of Launceston Farm

and 1 more site!
Launceston Farm
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Would highly recommend a stay at Launceston Farm, the surroundings are stunningly beautiful and a short walk from a picturesque village and pub. The rooms were lovely and the breakfast was fantastic - every little detail taken care of. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Launceston Farm was excellent in every way. Fabulous cooked breakfast (black pudding was wonderful) served around a massive table, beautiful comfortable bedroom with lovely and spotlessly clean bathroom. The furnishing of the house and rooms is lovely and feels more like a boutique hotel than a B and B and working farm. The slipper bath in our room was great and I enjoyed soaking in it whilst looking at the lovely views. Sarah was so welcoming and helpful, making you feel very comfortable, she had great suggestions for places to eat and gave you space just to enjoy the house and grounds without you feeling like you were intruding. The swimming pool was a real bonus as in the afternoon it's a sun trap. Sitting dipping your toes and reading a book was great and we almost felt (with the wonderful weather) that we were abroad. Beautiful, peaceful place to stay, great for exploring little villages and nearby Dorset attractions. Hope to come back later in the year! We would have liked to look around the farm, maybe next time!

Room Tip: Scraggs and Penfold are at the front of the house overlooking fields and are really spacious. Scrag...
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We have just spent a delightful three nights In launceston farmhouse, not nearly long enough! Such comfort and every extra you would expect in a boutique hotel. Sarah was so welcoming and friendly with great suggestions for filling our days. We will miss the stunning views from our room and look forward to returning.

1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We have just returned from a truly wonderful relaxing 7 nights at ‘The Bothy’. This was our first visit to Dorset and with hindsight we should have booked 2 weeks! The cottage is a real home from home, well equipped and finished to a high specification. We especially appreciated the welcome pack to get us started, which included a delicious homemade banana & chocolate chip cake! Sarah (the owner) was most hospitable and ensured our stay was both comfortable and enjoyable. The outside bath is a must, pure decadence especially when enjoying a candle-lit night time hot soak in bubbles and gazing at the stars with a chilled bottle of Engelmann Cuvee sparkling wine from the English Oak boutique vineyard at Lytchett Matravers. We definitely recommend eating at the Langton Arms and ‘The Museum Inn’, or simply popping in for a drink with the locals. We tried the full English breakfast pack and Sarah cooked a delicious goat tagine dinner on our last evening. The provided local information folder was really useful, but sadly despite our best efforts we had insufficient time to get around all the suggestions. We feel that we have only scratched the surface as there are lots of places to explore and things to do in Dorset, hopefully we will return to Launceston Farm soon. P.S. The Chestnut tree sapling now has pride of place in our garden, a lovely gesture, thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

What stunning photos! The bath and courtyard look amazing...On your recommendation we are heading down to the vineyard at Lytchett Matravers for a tasting. Top tip. We are so pleased you found a spot for your horse chestnut, I am sure it will be well looked after.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Aside from the beautiful little village of Tarrant Monkton, just a short stroll from the front gate, Launceston Farm itself is simply delightful. Sarah is a wonderful host - and chef, with a delightful breakfast in the stylish breakfast room. Plenty of parking is available and both the grounds and house were lovely; my room was luxurious and well appointed, with a wonderful view to the fields beyond.

Very friendly, very good value and in a beautiful part of the countryside. I look forward to staying here again very soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Wow! What fabulous photos. Thank you so much for your fantastic comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Launceston Farm and would definately recommend it. The accommodation and service are of a high quality and the farmhouse is set in a beautiful, peaceful location. We stayed in the Orchard Room which has lovely views and a luxurious bathroom. Despite some reviews saying the host is a little abrupt, we found Sarah to be very pleasant and welcoming (the cake and tea on arrival was a nice touch). We'd recommend The Museum Inn for dinner - it's a short drive away (5 mins), but we thought the food was better than the Langton Arms (a 5 min walk away). There's a lot to do in the area so we'll be back again some time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was attending a training day in Poole and did not want to stay in the standard Premier Inn. I looked for a family-run local B&B and found Launceston on the FarmStay website. Since I was getting a single, it was the same price as the Premier Inn but luxurious instead of depressing. Do look at their website as it is informative and accurate as far as I could tell.

I was the only guest and it was glorious weather. I was provided tea and cake on the garden terrace and just sat out there in the sunshine, reading, wishing it would never end. The garden is large with one end open to the farm's fields, where sheep and lambs were contentedly grazing. Launceston is a working farm, and you can get a tour which I wish I had had time for. Look at the website for details.

The room was large and lovely, with a bathroom almost as big, and probably one of the nicest I've ever had the pleasure to use. It had a roll-top bath in the middle, an arm chair with magazines beside it, two sinks, and a shower in a corner. I wish I had had time to make better use of it.

For dinner, I was directed towards the nearby village. It was a lovely walk past picturesque thatched cottages and across a footbridge to the Langton Arms, about 5-10 minutes walk from the B&B. It was a perfect place for a meal, even on my own, though you may want to book ahead if you are a larger party during the busy season. It definitely seemed popular.

The breakfast I couldn't begin to do justice to. The proprietor is a good cook and the produce is usually local and homemade. I just wish there had been other people there to converse with. But it was still pleasant looking out to the garden, with Classic FM playing softly in the background.

I will definitely use this place again when I'm next having to go to Poole for business. It was only a half hour drive to my office.

My only tip is to liaise with the B&B owners regarding when you expect to arrive. My mobile was dead and I was unable to ring the number if no one answers the door, but I was only 5-10 minutes or so looking around before people turned up.

Room Tip: Only two rooms are singles, I believe. I loved the Orchard Room, and sat in the window seat looking...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Cathleen_Dorset, Owner at Launceston Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Hi there

Thank you so much for your review. I hope you had a productive stay and your course proves very useful in the future.

All the best.

Sarah

Been to Launceston Farm? Share your experiences!