“Blessing in disguise”

The Weld Arms
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Party of eight hungery travellers after visiting the castle wanting to have some food. What could possibly go wrong. Well they refused to serve us. Looking on the Web after and the prices it was a lucky escape.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The fact that I have awarded only 1 star is not in any way representative of the QUALITY of the food. That 1 star is based on service and value.
So let's get the positives out of the way first.
I ordered the chilli with rice which was absolutely delicious - not too hot but full of flavour. My partner opted for the steak pie with vegetables and again, the quality was first class - so full marks to the chef for his culinary skills.
So what are my gripes for there are many?
The helpings were not that generous but the steak pie itself was almost totally lacking in any meat. What was there, was, as I have said, delicious, but one would expect an awful lot more in the filling.
The two staff members serving (the man may have been the manager, I couldn't say for certain) were hardly friendly. While the lady was taking my order a customer had returned to complain that he had been over-charged, which I assuume was corrected. I raise this point because after ordering our meal and 2 drinks I was a little startled at the bill. I checked the price of the 2 meals again and returned to the bar to ascertain the costs of those drinks and was flaberghasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A pint of Guinness (I had requested a half but didn't want to complain at the time but wished I had made her serve me what I had asked for) was £4.85 and a medium glass of wine - Pinot Grigio - was a whopping £6.90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On visiting 3 other pubs in a relatively small surrounding area over the course of the next few days, I had not been charged more than £4.50 for the same wine so why does this establishment think it right to rip-off customers like this?!
When you combined that with the total lack of substance to the steak pie for which I was charged £12.50 (recently dined at The Fountain Inn in Gloucester for the same thing and was served a steak pie FULL of delicious meat at a price of £8.95) this really is somewhere to avoid.
So I issue this WARNING. Do not dine or drink here unless you are prepared to be charged EXTORTIONATE prices by pretty sombre staff members.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Arrived around 630 pm for a Birthday meal, had a table resereved and was placed in the back room. I had to pick bit of white stuff of my knife on the table and had concerns straight away. The menus were old bits of paper which had gone yellow through age. We decided to order the Fish liguine, which was served with squid, mussels and Prawns. Did not have to wait long for the food to come out which was served on plates with inside tin foil. Once opened we notices you got 4 or 5 shelled mussels, a few bits of squid and the prawns were not prawns but 4 or 5 shrimp.

No vegetables were added, so was not a filling dish for £13.95, when we received the bill they tried to charge us £39.99 for 2 dinners and 2 pints of cider, which worked out to be just under£28 for the for food and £12 for the pints which I thought cannot be right. When we asked the lady behind the bar she said the food was£15.95 so we had to show her what it cost in the menu, She then called the landlord who then looked at the mistake and remibursed us the £4 they had overcharged, so beware of that if you visit. Also where we parked at the back in the corner at the back of the pub their was trash of abandoned fridge freezers with old paint pots chucked their too. Only gave this and extra mark as the cider was nice, but overall ran by amatuers in a busy tourist area in Dorset.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I would avoid this pub at all costs - appalling management and service.

We had our wedding on Saturday and agreed to have an after party once Lulworth Castle had closed. 40 guests arrived and the pub shut.... 2 hour wait for cabs what a nightmare....

Andy - manger then emails me the next day saying looking forward to you guys coming.... are you joking?

Avoid staying there or using it especially if your getting married at Lulworth Castle.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went there for a dinner and a drink. The food was wonderful, the staff were very helpful and I was ever so impressed with their service. Their service was very good and old fashioned, all smiley and very polite. The general public in the pub seemed very happy. The food and the drink was quite pricey.