“Homely, clean with beautiful rooftop deck”

Porthtowan Backpackers
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed at Porthtowan backpackers just for one night, but if I could I would stay much longer. Steve, the owner was very helpful in showing us around the house and finding out where to borrow surfing kit. The house itself was very clean and it had a rooftop terrace with an amazing view of the sea.
Porthotowan is a tiny town with 1 pub and 1 bar, though, so make sure that you arrive early enough for them to still serve some food. Do not expect crazy party, but you'll get good drinks and music in both bar and pub.
It's a great place for surfing beginners. Waves aren't too rough, so you can even stand up on the board :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jana K

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Redruth train station well past midnight, and Steve was actually waiting there to pick us up -- almost too friendly! I felt very welcome at the hostel. The kitchen on the ground floor was clean and cheerful, with fun beach themed decorations and plants. We stayed in a room with a bunk bed and private bathroom -- the bed was comfortable and had clean sheets and the bathroom was clean, although the shower didn't have the greatest pressure (due to being eco-friendly, I believe). The smell of fresh coffee woke me up in the morning. The place is very close to the beach, which is hugged between dramatic cliffs and a few miles away from neighboring villages. Great surfer hippie feel to the 'village', which consists of an off license, chippie, and a couple of pubs (perfectly decent food and booze).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We were looking for a low cost, short stay rental with room for 4 female friends and this was ideal.
The hostel offers a lovely informal stay for those on a budget.
We booked the 4 bedroom dorm with ensuite bathroom. The owner, Steve kindly put us into the 6 bed dorm as it was available which gave us a bit more room.
We loved the location about 200 metres from the beach. It also had a small chill out/TV lounge with guitar, use of a kitchen and a sun terrace with a sea view. We even had a very nice continental breakfast for the price.
We thought it was very good value for money in a quiet area with a blue flag beach. It was a great base for exploring the north of Cornwall.
If you are looking for an affordable short stay in Cornwall I would reccommend this hostel.
We would definately stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I will start by noting anyone who gives this place a bad review should arrive in a limo not like the outside and tell Jeeves to drive to the nearest Hilton and don"t spare the horses.
My wife and 2 children spent the weekend here, and i stayed on for a following week by my self in the front room of the hostel, room 2 to be exact, it had 3 bunk beds en suite loo and shower and lots of light in the room, a shared lounge massive flat screen Tv, lots of DVD's plenty of room and a spare bunk in the lounge, for the odd party overflow, the is a kitchen in the back and a sun terrace out back for barbeque's.
the breakfast was supplied but we didn't bother as we were up to early 7ish to go out surfing/body boarding, the also rent suits boards and fins if needed for very inexpensive prices, the owner steve and his lovely wife were one of the most hospitable people i have ever met and were so accomodating, even with the 2 kids wound up by all the fresh air, or was it the candy/ pop diet we feed them on holiday.
the local area has everything you need for a great holiday or a short stop over, for long stays over you may need lots of sun, but there are buses that run to bigger towns.

will be back there for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have never written a negative review before and I feel bad doing this so I will start by listing the positives. 1) The owner was very friendly and helpful. 2) The breakfast was plentiful. 3) The sheets looked washed. 4) The toilet was clean.
The negatives. 1) The whole place was so cluttered it had to be seen to be believed. 2) It stank of cigarette smoke. 3) The electrics seemed decidedly dodgy - in our bedroom we had one extension lead with four sockets hanging from the wall and various other sockets plugged into each other by the bed. 4) I never saw a fire extinguisher but there could have been one underneath some of the clutter. If there had been a fire we would have been in big trouble. 5) The lounge consisted of a few clapped out chairs and two bunk beds from which to watch the television. 6) There was no way I would have used the utensils/crockery in the residents kitchen - I would have died of thirst first.
I could go on but suffice to say that my friend and I needed a stiff drink in the Unicorn (nice pub) before we could face spending the night there and even then we slept with our backpacks up against the door and the light on. I know this hostel has had good reviews but I have never stayed in such a dire place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed a couple of nights at the Backpackers and were greeted by the friendly Steve and Jane. We stayed in the double room which was a bit like staying at your Nan's but it was cozy and had an en suite bathroom. Continental breakfast is included and it is quite an amusing experience to eat it in the middle of Janes flower shop!! The kitchen down the hall is a bonus and it would be possible to cook a full meal if desired, it is always nice to have a fridge to keep the beer cold and have tea and coffee on tap. A few minutes stroll down the main (!) street and you are on a beautiful surfers beach with cliff top walks in both directions. There are two pubs in the village The Blue quite young and trendy with decent food at London prices and the Unicorn which was very friendly although we didn't eat there. Next door to the Backpackers is the village store and a chippie!! They have surfing equipment for hire and they are very informative on the surrounding area.

Room Tip: There is only one double room the rest are dorms.