“On main drag but in construction area.”
Review of Casa Chips

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barra de Navidad
Casa Chips
Kelowna, Canada
“On main drag but in construction area.”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I found this hotel on a Sunday when it was nice and quite. It is right on the main drag and on the waters edge.\Being my first trip to the area, I didn't know where to go and this was one of the first places I saw from arriving by bus that was on the waters edge. The rooms where very clean and nicely laid out.Everything in good shape . There is a little balcony that you can sit out on and watch the people on the street. Unfortunatly, the woman who showed /gave me the room said I could use the little kitchen between the two rooms on my floor. The next day the younger woman sent her husband up to tell me I was not to use it and it wasn't included. I had to empty out the stuff I had just bought from the fridge which ment it was going to spoil.They where very rude about it. (And the fact that I paid twice as much as I should have).The next day, the construction started at 7 am. on both sides of this hotel and on the lower floor where the hurrican washed it away. It went on all day!The whole building shaking. Then I found out I was only one of 3 people staying there, and she wouldn't let me use the fridge? I found this so rude .Geez..anyways I left the next day when I finally found the place that I should have. On the other side , by the canal where the fishing boats are. Very quite and friendly on that side and half the price! It's too bad,this is a nice little hotel but it will take at least a year to fix the damage on both sides and basement to this hotel, and then there will always be some constuction rebuilding the washed out buildings down the beach.

Room Tip: Second or third floor. Away from the beach on the street side to reduse the construction noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank abfab40plus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
camano island wa
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My wife and I recently took a trip to Barra De Navida and stayed at Casa Chips Hotel. We were a little worried about what condition the hotel would be in after hurricane Jova hit several weeks back. When we arrived we were happy to see the hotel in good shape. The Sky Suiete we stayed in was very nice. Two large decks overlooking to ocean, Nice room! really nice bathroom. And very clean. The sunsets from the deck were awesome! Emarita and staff were more then helpful, and very polite. During our stay we noticed that they were doing some nice up grades to the rooms new fridges, Big flat sreen TVs. Also nice kitchen area was handy as we steamed or 5:00$ lobster, Barra De navida is a beautiful place with plenty of activitys. We have been to Manzanillo, Cancun, Cobo, and Barra De Navida is much more of a real Mexican town, Laid back and fun. Food in town is awesome also, i recommend Ramones, very tasty, One night four of us ate at a resturant on the street, Tacos, Carne Asada, enchiladas, beer and pop came to 14:00$ US for all four! We will for sure go back to Casa Chips again sometime. Phil and Debbie Dore, Camano Island wa

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank phillip d
seattle
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Really love this small hotel. It's sad that the hurricane has washed away most of the beach.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 20 November 2011

First of all, the location is perfect. It is right on the beach and close to everything in town. There is a taxi stand right in front in case you want to arrange a taxi to take you to the nearby towns. Marlena's Restaurant is also connected to the hotel and you can eat there or be served down at the beach for lunch and adult beverages. Secondly,making reservations is very easy as Charles, the owner, is very good about returning your emails.
The rooms are all great and choosing the one that best suits your needs is easy as long as it is available. If you just want a room that is inexpensive to sleep and it has a bathroom, they have one for you. If you want a place that is bigger and you save some money and eat inside, there is a room for you. Our favorite thing about Casa Chips is Charles and his staff. We have been there four times now and each time, we feel more and more like family. The last trip was during the hurricane. Charles immediately, arranged for our safety and we were well taken care of. We will always be forever grateful for his and his family's hospitality.

Room Tip: The Sky Suite #7 is on the third floor and is the best all around. It is very spacious and has a kit...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kibblesbaby
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 21 July 2011

It was my first time in Barra and it was great, no complaints. The hotel is right on the beach, in the middle of town, so it is close to everything. This hotel had some bigger and nicer rooms upstairs with views and balconies. However, we stayed in the cheapest room, which sadly had no windows...at all - probably the most disappointing aspect of this stay. The room was small but decent enough: clean, nice bathroom and shower. (One of the paintings on the wall was obviously hung 90 degrees sideways...which made us laugh). Good deal for your money and probably better than some other places for the same cost in Barra. The water right in front of the hotel was great for swimming for adults swimmers. Not for young children as the water gets deep quickly and some big waves can sneak up on you. One morning I saw a group of whales really close to shore, maybe 100 feet off shore or so. Swimming best in the morning, waves get bigger in the afternoon. We only spent 3 nights here and spent a lot of time driving to surrounding areas and beaches, but overall, good memories about this place. It would have been great to have one of the upstairs rooms with the balcony.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Manzanillo, Mexico
Reviewed 18 May 2011

After reading the reviews and knowing the area, Casa Chips delivered exactly what we expected. It was our anniversary and I wanted to find something a little special. Something with a nice view, privacy and comfort. Seeing that the owners where American i knew we could expect good value for our money. As we live in Manzanillo we know very well how somethings don't deliver what they advertise. I made my reservations by contacting the email provided on the website, quick reply with the appropriate information requested. i made a deposit (as per the norm in Mexico) and scanned the verification and returned an email. Again quick reply and all was good, or so i thought. When arriving the front desk personal had no information regarding our reservation, she simply told me the room that i wanted was available and how much it would be for the night. Lucky it was a Monday, the room was available and i had my deposit receipt.
Ok, time for constructive criticism.
1. The kitchenette seems to be an addition to the original building and there is a gap where the two roofs meet, not a big deal except for the birds that lived in the gap, thus birds and poop on the kitchen floor in the morning. Upon inspection, it looked like someone had once tried to fix the problem by placing a piece of cardboard in the gap.
2. The lower deck has some pieces of the railing missing, not dangerous yet, but we where drinking and could have been.
3. The master bathroom, the towels are old and need to be replaced, there are no beach towels, the toilet paper dispenser is loose and the roll falls off as soon as you go to grab some, the sign informing you to not to put your toilet paper in the toilet is taped on the wall (not a big deal, just looks bad, old tape has turned color and is peeling, wouldn't take much to have it in a frame). Last but certainly not least, the website says there is a double headed shower, not the case, there used to be a double headed shower, but not anymore and i probably know why, not enough water pressure, gravity fed water from the roofs water tank wont allow enough pressure for two shower heads to work at the same time. Also, there was not hot water, not a big deal for this time of year, since it is really hot and a cool shower is fine, but if it was during cooler weather i would not be happy.
4. There didn't seem to be any beach umbrellas and chairs for the hotel guests. There are photos of chairs and umbrellas on the web site, i just assumed that being a beach front hotel it would be something offered to guests.

I know there is a long list of nit picking. Nothing from the above list ruined our stay, we knew what to expect in sea side hotels, this is a step above most. We had a great time watching the sun set (well i did, the wife took a well deserved after noon siesta).
All in all, we will be back, if the owner/management reads this we would like to book again for the fallowing year. I saw that the owner had replied to previous guests reviews and would hope he still does, email me for my confirmation of next years reservation.

Room Tip: The Sky Suite is pretty sweet.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sim S
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Casa Chips is a great little seaside hotel in the center of Barra de Navidad, a small but charming seaside town. (Ask for Room #5, it is worth the extra fare.) The town comprises quiet cobblestone streets with interesting shops and a few good restaurants (Many don't accept credit cards, so be prepared.). Take a lagoon cruise for an interesting diversion.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Barra de Navidad
Club Nautico El Dorado
Club Nautico El Dorado
#381 of 620 in Pacific Coast

Been to Casa Chips? Share your experiences!