“Almost perfect but......”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calcot
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect but......”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have just returned from a family holiday/30th celebration to Calcot manner which overall was very good however their are number of issues we experienced which certainly tainted our visit.

The range of facilities on offer are really good within the site, both the Gumstool and the conservatory restaurants are superb, especially the conservatory where we ate 3 nights running. The staff are also very good here. The Spa is exceptional and the treatments worth every penny. A huge thumbs up for the creche and the staff, our 1.5 year old spent 4 hours in here over a couple of days and loved it! Really nice as parents to get this free time for relaxing and spending time together with the confidence little one is safe and sound. In conjunction with this the listening service from your room is a brilliant perk.

Tetbury is well worth a visit and Bath is only 30 min away, local countryside is beautiful.

Now for the not so good. We stayed in a Large family suite (Woodchester) The room is really worn! The decorative pillows on the bed were filthy, huge oily marks and also split. The carpet around the bed has large stains on it, their were hair grips and a drinks mixer on the floor from previous guests, the fabric covered pelmet over the curtain rail is ripped, we had a broken kettle and the hairdryer was missing, their were also resident spiders and spider webs in both the main room and downstairs bath room. The kids room is really quite small in the woodchester, if you have a travel cot its a real struggle with literally no room left at all, also the base of our supplied travel cot was terrible, Premier Inn's supply better. The staff changed the kettle and provided the hairdryer as soon as we notified them however I'm not confident the other points will be addressed and these certainly would make us doubt returning to what could be an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Luke S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was treated to a one night pamper break at this pretty country hotel.
I would describe it as contemporary country chic and has excellent facilities , catering for all types, particularly those with young children
I had a day of spa treatments booked which were very enjoyable although the treatment room i was in had a little bit of outdoor noise . The outdoor hot tub was amazing as were the grounds and the walking trails. Bikes are also available to hire.
The relaxation room in the spa would benefit from air conditioning as would the room I was staying in. As the UK doesnt get this hot that often, it doesnt really apply to the rest of the year!
I didnt have breakfast so I cant comment on that but I did have room service which was very nice and there is no charge to have it delivered to your room, which makes a nice change!
I was lucky enough to get a good mid week rate for a deluxe room , which isnt cheap but definatey worth the money
Just a few little niggles - the tea / coffee tray in my room was in need of a good clean and a laundry bag in the wardrobe would have been a nice touch. Beautiful toiletries and products in my room
All the staff I came in contact with were very courteous and helpful , particularly the ladies working in the spa
I would definately return to this hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SHwick
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently spent a weekend at Calcot Manor. The cost was £425 a night including dinner, which I believe is too expensive for what it is. I have stayed in more beautiful places, with better service, location and food that have cost a lot less. Perhaps if I had paid less, I would've been less critical but you expect a lot for that much money.

The positives: The grounds are delightful and a joy to explore. The front lawn is an idyllic spot for a sundowner and the main house itself is very grand and picturesque.

The spa is of a very nice standard, with a lovely outdoor jacuzzi and the log fire burning outside was a nice touch. The inside is very good also, with a relaxation area and steam room/sauna. Both the outdoor and indoor pools were great.

Dogs are welcome in rooms outside of the main building. This is a great bonus and would make me return despite the cost.

My room was of a good size with a very comfy, four poster bed and the bathroom was fantastic - powerful rain shower and sumptuous bath. Luxurious toiletries to use also.

In terms of atmosphere, both the bar and restaurant are lovely and the food was good - not brilliant and was, to my taste, under-seasoned, but enjoyable. There is a good wine list also.

Large golf umbrellas are on hand throughout the hotel and grounds, a thoughtful and appreciated touch.

The negatives: The car park was a bit of a walk to my room and I was not offered any help with my luggage, despite arriving on my own as a woman. When you're paying almost £500 a night, the offer of assistance should be made.

Service was slow - I waited 30 minutes for a cocktail and similar waits for other items ordered.

The coffee at breakfast was abysmal. So weak it looked like tea. I had to send it back twice. We were not offered any toast on each day either.

We were on a dinner bed and breakfast package, but no explanation was offered as to how this worked. I had to make enquiries myself and found out that each guest is allowed a generous £40 a night for food (not drinks). However, it was hard to spend this much on the night we dined in the bar instead of restaurant.

There was no way to play any music in your room, unless you wanted Radio 1 through the television, no Classic FM or Radio 3. There is a DAB radio in your room, but I could not get a signal and there is an iPod dock, but no-one has iPod's anymore, so was of no use.

There was no fresh coffee-making facilities in the room, just instant. A hotel of that price should have a cafetier or similar and there was no fresh milk.

When I arrived in my room, there was a huge snail on the floor in the bathroom.

The hotel literature in the room said we would get a turndown service, which we didn't either day we were there. I asked about this and they said it was because we had a dog. However, my dog was never left alone in the room so I cannot see why nobody asked us or told us about this policy.

Overall, I know I am being nit-picky but this is purely because of the cost. I think around the £250-£300 mark would be a fairer price - for example, I have stayed in nearby Cowley Manor, which I think is far superior and that is cheaper by a long way.

2 Thank eleanorlavish
Witney, Oxfordshire
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Have just returned from an overnight stay and this place was amazing in every way. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary so wanted to stay somewhere nice with a warm, relaxed, rustic feel and this place ticked all the boxes. We stayed on a midweek Spa package which included a Deluxe Room (we stayed in the Cambridge Room), Dinner Bed & Breakfast and £70.00 towards Spa Treatments per couple. We enjoyed a full body massage (which is probably the best I've had) in the Spa and took advantage of the outdoor hot tub. We were running slightly late as we had taken a wrong turn and would be about 15 mins late for our massage and I phoned the hotel to explain and they said no problem they would speak to the Spa. When we arrived they had kindly moved our treatments back an hour so that we can relax and check in / chill before the treatment. I have to compliment all the Staff at the hotel as we found every single person we dealt with to be very friendly and welcoming. We were greeted by Asha on Reception who showed us to our room and offered to help with our bags and she was lovely. The Cambridge Room was amazing, on split levels with a large bathroom on the ground floor with wet room style shower, free standing bath and double vanity sinks. upstairs was a lovely king size bed with high quality linen. As we had mentioned it was our Wedding Anniversary a complimentary bottle of champagne and a card greeted us on arrival in our room. There was a flat screen TV, tea & coffee making facilities & water. The room was tastefully decorated to a high standard with quality furnishings. I cannot find anything negative to say about this place and would highly recommend it and would return for a special occasion in the future. It's well worth the extra expense to have such a high quality experience and in our opinion is value for money.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be very nice here, some back out onto the main road which creates some t...
Cheltenham
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Love this place stopped for a coffee in the lounge after eating at the Gumstool Inn next door. Awesome place great atmosphere and service plus lovely coffee quite reasonably priced at c 2.40.

Will be back.

Tip - not the cheapest for food and accommodation but lovely. A little road noise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We took a "four nights for three" mid-week package at Calcot Manor this June, selecting it because of its spa and indoor pool. We were not disappointed. The hotel itself suited us very well, with its choice of two restaurants - the Gumstool and the Conservatory, and a very comfortable and roomy bedroom with high beamed ceiling, immaculate bathroom and gentle décor. We ate most evenings in the Gumstool, an old coaching inn/pub style brasserie restaurant with a wide choice of good dishes using local and seasonal ingredients. The slightly more formal Conservatory, where breakfast is also served, offered similarly eclectic and delicious choices.

The staff were, to a man and woman terrific. We enjoyed the warmth and friendliness of local staff at breakfast times and appreciated the assistance given by the reception staff at various points during our stay.

We used the spa for a couple of massages, some exercise classes - pilates; aqua; yoga; dance; and manicure. It was also an ideal place to enjoy a coffee, sit in the sunshine and read the papers, or use the hot steam tub. Here too the staff were helpful and the right mix of friendly and professional.

Families with young children; there were four such families during our stay; seemed to enjoy the special dinner menus laid on for little ones, which were served at around 5.30-6.00 pm. There is also a playroom for children and the special attention paid to providing facilities for families really seemed to work well. Although we are elderly and retired, preferring a fairly quiet time, we did not at any time feel discomfited and positively enjoyed being alongside these young families. The Manor catered for our different needs and tastes very effectively.

Oh - and the setting. We must mention the setting. It's bliss. Yawning great pastures and meadows stretching off to the horizon, rolling Gloucestershire hills and vales, lawns to make a mole excited and well-tended gardens. I dead-headed a few geraniums. Happy Stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank unfinishedjourney
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay and, for us, it was a perfect combination of luxury, fabulous food and wine, excellent service and great facilities. There is no pretentiousness here and somehow the hotel has managed to successfully meet the needs of families and couples alike .... Children eat in the Gumstool pub early evening and whilst they have limited access to the spa pool (to keep it as a grown up space), there are indoor and outdoor playgrounds, an outdoor pool and acres of space to let off steam..... To the point that we only saw or heard children at breakfast time! Our large standard bedroom may not have had a brilliant view but the room was so comfortable and peaceful (no passing people traffic or slamming doors) that it was a perfect place to chill out. We loved the spa and the aromatherapy treatments are thoroughly recommended. The staff were friendly and professional, anticipating our every need, and.... There is no room service charge!!!!

Only one criticism ..... The extortionate bar and wine prices - do they really have to be that much?

We shall definitely return ..... Once we have saved our pennies!

Room Tip: Couples tend to be booked into the manor itself and families in the outer buildings - good system!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcot
Ellenborough Park
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Cowley Manor
Cowley Manor
#1 of 1 in Cowley

Been to Calcot Manor? Share your experiences!