“Not 4 star quality - very poor house keeping!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calcot Manor

Calcot Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calcot
Lincolnshire, UK
“Not 4 star quality - very poor house keeping!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

We stayed the first weekend of October for my Fiance's birthday.
On arrival there was no one to carry bags to the room. The room looked quite nice at first but once being in there for a few minutes we noticed how dirty and run down the room was - we stayed in the Slimbridge family room. Stains on the carpet throughout the room was disgusting and I feel a hotel of this rating should not have stained carpets and should do something about it. The cobwebs above the bed had been there quite some time and so had the dust and fluff under the bedside table. The whole room was quite dusty to be honest. There was mould on the window blinds - this is definately not a 4 star hotel, I have stayed on much cleaner and nicer 3 star hotels and for less money. The bathroom was actually quite clean - however the paintwork was obvioulsy a bodge job. The cupboards and paintwork defiantely need maintenance. It is such a shame this was not the stay we had hoped for.
We travelled for 3½ hours in the car and spent £350 for the night for this place, it was not worth it!
The food in the Conservatory was quite good, the staff were very nice. Drinks are very expensice though.
I had two treatments in the Spa and I have to say the Spa was the best part of our stay. Although the Spa is very small it is quite nice but nothing compared to Ragdale Hall. The two ladies that did my treaments were so very pleasant and welcoming - thank you Amy and Becky you are both a credit to the Calcot Spa.
If you are looking for a luxury stay Calcot is NOT the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SquiggleFairy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed for a weekend in a family suite with my partner and two boys (aged six and two) with my mother in law in a separate room.

First thing to say is that the rooms are genuinely lovely - spacious, tastefully decorated, very comfortable bed for the adults (there's a 'but' coming), good fixtures and fittings. The family suite had the children's room (again, very spacious) upstairs next to the main bathroom. One of the best bathrooms I've seen in a hotel, by the way. The suite was in a separate building from the hotel, with its own front gate leading into a private garden with a patio. It was almost like hiring a holiday cottage. This is one aspect the hotel has got really right.

Now for that 'but', and it's not a big one - the children's bedroom was very stuffy, even without the heating on. Because my older son was ill the second night, I had to take his bed while he slept downstairs. It was very hard to sleep in that stuffy room with the (apparently) non-natural duvet, and I wonder how he had managed the night before. But he did, so as I say it's not a big 'but'.

As for the restaurants, the food was very good but I'm not sure it quite justified the price (this applies equally to the Conservatory and the Gumstool). In fact, this pretty much sums up Calcot Manor - you feel you're really in the lap of luxury, but there's this constant nagging doubt: does it really have to cost THIS much? That £30 surcharge for each child (see other reviews) was mentioned in our booking letter, so it didn't come as a surprise, but our children didn't use the play space nor did they have high tea (we prefer to eat together as a family) so we felt we were effectively paying an extra £60 a night for nothing. Surely the room could be priced with an allowance for, say, two children and the surcharge only if you have three or more?

One more thing: the staff were generally friendly, but their competence ranged from excellent to entertainingly hopeless. And, for those reviewers who have complained about wrong billing - we had the same fate. Our room rate included an allowance for dinner each night. When we checked out, we found that we'd been debited for dinner (an amount less than the allowance) and we'd ALSO been debited for the allowance. I pointed out that the allowance should be in the credits column. The girl on the desk ran it through the computer. The allowance disappeared completely from the bill, but we were still being debited the full amount for dinner. I pointed this out. The girl blamed the computer (hmm...) but eventually we got that debit removed as well. I THINK we paid the right amount in the end.

I'm making the place sound worse than it is. This is a fabulous hotel with beautiful grounds and surroundings. But do watch out for the hidden charges (God knows how much we'd have spent if we'd gone to the spa as well - we wouldn't have got any change out of two grand!) and bear in mind that a weekend here can cost as much as a longer holiday in the Med. If you're OK with that, then Calcot Manor won't disappoint (but do check the bill carefully when you leave).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ursulahx
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in August, 2010 and had a room overlooking the front lawn. It's an excellent hotel - our room was fantastic, very spacious and felt very modern, light and airy.

The hotel interior/exterior and surrounding buildings are all immaculate and we found the staff and service to be fantastic. We ate in both the less formal 'pub' restaurant and also a couple of times in the main restaurant and the food and service were very good both at dinner times and at breakfast.

We also made use of the gym/spa facilities which were, again, excellent both in terms of the equipment and in terms of staff and service - it's particularly hard not to like the outside warm jacuzzi near to the burning, open log fire.

I'd stay here again without hesitation - a great place to spend a few days away in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Wow what can I say about this hotel it is superb.... We stayed here for 2 nights after our wedding before our honeymoon and do not have a bad word to say about it.... The staff, the service, the rooms, the spa, the location... these are all second to none. The hotel is quite pricey however feel it is worth every penny... We are already looking forward to staying here again in the near future...

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

I've just returned from a weekend at this hotel and felt compelled to write a view (only ever written one before) as it was a perfect experience. It certainly wasn't a cheap break but really worth the money. The food and service were first class and the facilites brilliant especially the lovely spa area. Even though everything felt so luxurious, the atmosphere was also relaxed and I didn't feel like I had to be on my very best behaviour (as certain top notch hotels can make you feel). The staff were really accommodating and I felt like they genuinely wanted us to have a wonderful stay from the second we walked through the door to the moment we left. A real treat for anyone looking for a special weekend away.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four days with our eight year old son. The hotel was great, especially the service. The spa treatments were excellent and the facilities were extremely good. We would definitely go back. We had a great stay and felt very well looked after throughout. The only small complaints we have are that the indoor pool we felt should have been open for another hour in the morning for children and also the children's play zone for the over 8's was not open in the evening which given it has a cinema did not seem to make much sense. Overall however a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

I booked Calcot Manor for the first few days of my honeymoon with my new wife. We planned to chill out and relax before going abroad.

You could not ask for a better place. Calcot Manor is truly stunning in every sense of the word (including the price)

Location: Incredible. Set in 220 acres of Cotswolds countryside. Plenty of places to explore in the grounds. Well kept, interesting and romantic.

Hotel: I chose this over Lucknam Park as the decor seemed more to our preference, with lots of pastel and natural colours. Rustic chic within a traditional country hotel. Very impressive

Room: Huge, classy and a joy to stay in! Large, comfortable bed, Enormous bathroom with equally large bath. Attractive and elegant decor. Really quite impressive

Restaurant: I have eaten at a number of Michelin starred restaurants, and this is better. The cost of the room includes £40 credit per person for dinner, which encourages you to go overboard for dinner. Excellent seafood, good beef,all very well cooked with great flavours. Impressive wine list. Breakfast very palatable. Also recommend scone cream teas!

Spa: Excellent. Nice ambience, enjoyed champagne in the jacuzzi. Good range of treatments on offer.

Service: Really made the hotel. Every member of staff that we interacted with was helpful, friendly and courteous. Could not say a bad word about them, and they really made the stay feel special.

All in all, Calcot Manor is a remarkable place to stay. I went with my new wife as a romantic break, and it was everything we wished for. Very receptive to children, but if you don't want to be disturbed by other peoples brats, just avoid the spa pool between 4 and 5pm.

Recommend for romantic break, family breaks and mother daughter spa weekends

Excellent, excellent, excellent, but expensive. Worth every penny though

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcot
Ellenborough Park
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to Calcot Manor? Share your experiences!