“A little disappointing but great location” 2 of 5 bubbles

Calcot Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Calcot
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing but great location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Meal was let down by a number of errors, such as a raw camembert starter and the failure of half of the main course (the shepherds pie in the cannon of lamb and pie) which failed to justify the £27 price tag. Potatoes and other sides also did not arrive for main courses in certain cases even when someone had pointed out this was the case for their meal. However, the scallops starter was divine, as were a variety of the puddings I managed to try. Shame a few things overshadowed the meal somewhat, in a great location and atmosphere and at almost £50 per person, these sorts of problems are not usually anticipated.

• Visited February 2014

Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very friendly and welcoming.
The staff were excellent and my made our special evening unforgettable by going more than the extra mile with their excellent service. Well done to all!

• Visited February 2014
Stroud, United Kingdom
“lovey time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

relaxed refreshed ate well & service very good.Will be back food outstanding whole experience money well spent.

• Visited December 2013
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“Boxing Day Lunch at The Conservatory, Calcot Manor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I booked Boxing Day lunch for 11 people of various ages based on a fab visit to The Gumstool Inn and wasn’t disappointed.

From sending an email to Emma who replied promptly and courteously, to arrival on the day, went smoothly.

Plenty of parking and on level ground (elderly relatives need not worry), we made our way to the entrance which looked inviting with beautifully decorated Christmas trees aplenty. We went into the sitting area(s) for a pre-lunch drink which had Christmas cake and festive fayre on tables to which I think you help yourself (I was having lunch so didn’t really look).

Onto the Conservatory where the tables are near each other but not so close as to butt chairs. The staff were professional and friendly and above all efficient and accommodating especially when the beef was a little pink for the younger relatives. My vegetarian starter and main meal were superb, I had a rich Christmas lunch and didn’t want the same for Boxing Day and the portion size was just right. It was flavoursome without being heavy.

The rest of the party enjoyed their meal immensely with all of us walking away feeling full but not stuffed.

So I would like to say thank you for making our Boxing Day lunch more than a meal, it was an event.

• Visited December 2013
Sussex
“Family friendly, wobbly in places”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

As a treat for our little holiday in the Cotswolds we booked in for a half day spa which included lunch. When I say I lunch I mean £18 towards lunch, but other than that the discounted deal was reasonable value.
On entering the restaurant the strong smell of urine hit us, not a great start. Friendly service in the "golf club" styled setting, although its been a while since the delivery of the wine did not include opening the bottle and asking us if we'd like to taste it first. I guess that what you get for buying a screw top!
Starters great, although at £8 each an extra slice of bread for our parfait would have been ideal. My main however was no great. The ham hock pie lack filling and tasted like Gingsters had been involved. When I questioned the quality I was advised it indeed was not made on the premises and the pies were bought in, suspicion confirmed. To be fair the pie was removed from the bill.
Then the spa, which was great, dropped our little boy off in the crèche whilst we had time to ourselves.
Overall the venue has lots to offer, the restaurant just needs to sharpen up a little.

• Visited November 2013