“Good value for money, compared to the other hotels nearby.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Arco Iris

Hotel Arco Iris
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
“Good value for money, compared to the other hotels nearby.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

Stayed at Arco Iris several times during a low budget surf trip in September 2009. After having stayed for two nights at the poor bungalows at Rockaway, we decided to look for something better. We got a bargain price of $45 (low season) for a double room, which was way better standard than the crappy bungalow that did cost $30. Nice oceanview and good breakfast at the restaurant. Friendly host. The hotel had signs of lack of maintenance and could be cleaner, but overall we had a nice stay for a desent amount of Pesos. We used this hotel as our "base" during this trip. Good hooks on the balcony for your hammock, as well:-) Note: The hotel did not take credit card, so we had to take a taxi to Puerto Escondido to find an ATM.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Norsurfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

We have stayed at the Arco Iris, Santa Fe, Hotel Ines -- and prefer the Arco Iris. We have been many times. It's the best combination of value and comfort. Facing the surfing beach, Zicatela, it is well-located and a short walk to many great places to eat. I have had no trouble making reservations by emailing Rebeca at [--]. She responds promptly and we have always gotten the rooms we liked. The restaurant has a great view and is a convenient place for breakfast, even though we usually eat elsewhere for lunch or dinner. We usually pay $65 - 80 a night depending on how many people we have in our room (we have kids), which is about half the price at the tonier Santa Fe. The rooms are furnished with wooden beds, Saltillo tile floors, bright talavera tiled bathrooms and all the furniture you need. Many rooms have refrigerators, cooktops and sinks. Some have nice porches. Check out the huge balcony in room 301. We have always met nice people there from Mexico, Canada, the US and Europe. The pool is big enough for laps and the location is perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank chuckches
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

Arco Iris was very clean, has beautiful gardens and pool. The room with 2 double beds was cute, with sconce wall lights plus lamps, a small refrigerator, air conditioning (which we needed!), and a pretty tiled bathroom. Great balconies with a good view of Zicatela. Good restaurant, also with a view. Only downside was walking up 5 levels to get to the room with a view!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoadBrenner
san francsico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

We arrived at the hotel, not having booked in advance and were told that they had rooms available for the week and that they also had Internet connection throughout the hotel. It was crucial for me to be able to connect to the Internet for work while I was there.
They told us that we had to pay upfront for the room, for the whole week. I was very nervous about doing this, and did not think it was a good idea. But my friend assured me that it would be fine.

As soon as we checked in I checked for internet service, and there was none. So I went down to the front desk guy again and told him that the Internet was not working. He said that he would call a guy about it, and that it should be working by that evening. To make a long story short, by the next afternoon there was still, and had not been Internet service at the hotel. And I was already a day and a half behind in my work.

We found another hotel down the street that did in fact have internet connection and decided to move down there. Hotel Ines, which we loved by the way!

When we checked out of Hotel Arco Iris the (same) guy who checked us in said he completely understood the circumstances and would refund us our money minus the first nights stay, plus a late fee for checking out after noon, plus a cc fee. So we said that was fine we would pay for those things and he refunded my card for the remainder.

But when we left he must have canceled the refund transaction, because still today 4 months later I do not have my money back and my credit card company is trying to get it back.
I have emailed them several times asking for my money back, and they have ignored each one.

And to top it off my friend's bed had bed bugs, and she had bites all over her legs!

So by no means would I ever recommend such a horrible hotel, where they steal your money!!

Please stay somewhere else!

• Disliked — They stole my money.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank 4fawn
pipsqueak22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2007

We originally booked our stay in Escondido at the Villa Bel mar Down the street.
It was terrible and I gladly gave up a nights fee there to look for better digs.
We came across the Arco Iris and experienced Jupiter( day manager) He said he had a room available but we looked around the strip anyway only to come back and book for a week.
It was a great stay! Ocean Views, a great restaurant for sunsets and an attentive staff.
I really have nothing bad to say about the place.
Great location, service, crashing waves day and night and affordable rooms.
Jupiter, Pronounced "Hoopiter, like the planet" ( pointing skyward)
was the best. He got us everything we needed!!!
Will return soon!
F&R

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pipsqueak22
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2006

My daughter and I stayed here in July 2005. Aside from the view, which is tremendous, we were very unhappy. The room was $80 -- a price at which I expect at least cleanliness, drinking glasses, and decent towels.

Our bathroom and shower were dirty, including sand and spiders in the shower. We were given only two very flimsy, nearly ragged towels, and when I asked for another towel the housekeeper said, "Well, how many of you are there?" "Two," I said. "Well then, you only get two towels," she said, and walked away. !! (and I am bilingual in Spanish, very friendly, and was travelling with a seven-year old!) I had to ask for water glasses, and she brought only two (no surprise there). The overhead fan did not work well and we sweltered throughout both our nights there (we cut our stay short because it was so unpleasant). Also, the discos down the street were blaring into the early hours of the morning.

Oh yes, and when we arrived, there was a hammock hanging on our balcony. The housekeeper (who had showed us to our room) started taking it down. I said we would like to keep it there. "You have to pay for it," she said. "It's two dollars a day." "That's fine," I said, "just have it added to our bill." An hour later when we returned from walking on the beach, the hammock had been removed.

In sum, we found the Arco Iris unfriendly, unclean, and overpriced.

Go to the restaurant for the view of the beach and surfers. Skip the hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank tumblingwater
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2006

After a nightmare the day before, we toured Puerto looking for another hotel. We saw quite a few.
Hotel Arco Iris were prepared to deal on the price.
Rooms are a little shabby, but very clean and neat.
Place has a warm familiar feel to it.
Walkways and gardens are lovely. Restaurant has excellent food - wait staff are ok but need to be a little friendlier.
Reception staff were good - Julietta in particular, was a very sweet person and extremely helpful.
Be careful of the bug screens - we had mosquitoes in the room and discovered they were coming in under the screen door / door. This was easily remedied by placing a rug between door and screen door - blocking the gap.
Hotel has a nice pool. A very quiet peaceful place.
Our room faced the street and we had no problems with noise. The only constant loud noise was the large waves crashing on shore - NO problem !!!
Our room had no A/C, but with the fan on high and the windows open it was fine. There was a nice breeze from the ocean. Room had a refrigerator, hot plate and utensils.
People we spoke to have been coming here for 12 years or more. There is a very good reason for that.
If you are looking for some creature comforts, value for money, quietness, but close to everything. This is the best place on Zicatela beach.
We thoroughly recommend it and will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2006