“IN LOVE IN PE!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Escondido
Hotel Flor de Maria
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 December 2004

I literally stayed at the FDM 2 years ago and I think about it all of the time. It is gorgeous, the owners amazingly helpful (we did not find them stand-offish in the least), and so relaxing. I would return in a heartbeat and have sent everyone going to PE there. Just one word of caution... I nearly drowned at the beach boogie-boarding in July. Be very careful, my gringa swimming non-skills nearly cost me my life! But at least I had the wonderful FDM to come back to!
The place across the dirt road IS amazing for breakfast, as another review also said. The french toast or fruit and granola was amazing, the staff slendid!
I miss Mexico!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 7 November 2004

We loved the hotel, it was very clean and the view that we got was awesome. Actually There is only one room that has a little balcony and we got it ;)
The restaurant was very good and totally inexpensive. The Canadian owners were very helpful and polite. The pool is the best!! Located on the roof of the 3 story hotel, has a great view of the beach Marinero and the hills behind Bahía Principal. There is like 5 hamocks next to the pool and underneath a palapa were you can relax and read a book or just take a peaceful nap.

The few downsides about the hotel were that there is not air conditioner, so it was extremely warm at night and even with the ceiling fan we were sweating a lot. Because we had lo leave the windows open to get some air current circulating we could hear all the noises from the little creatures on the beach. My wife had a problem with that since she is a light sleeper, but I actually liked hearing the sound of the waves crushing at the shore.

To get to the plata Marineros you have to go trough this unpaved alley that is very dirty and about 100 feet from the beach, be very careful walking barefoot since there is all kind af glass and gabage laying around. I was not impressed by Playa Marineros since it was also dirty, the boogie boarding was good though. I liked Zicatela much more for it's cleanliness and the surfer atmosfhere, but if you want to relax and swim in a nice and calm beach go to Playa Carrizalillo!! Here is a map so you can see what I'm talking about.

----------------------------------------

30  Thank Perrik77
Reviewed 15 August 2004

We just arrived from Mexico (August 14th). We spent 11 days at the Flor de Maria. We went with 3 kids and we have not ONE complain!! The food is excellent! Every night a different choice (HOMEMADE!! with fresh products from the market!). The hotel not only is CLEAN, it smells clean too!! The staff is friendly and always ready to help. THe owners make you feel at home and share tips about beaches and restaurants (YES! Even if they have a restaurant there they don't mind sharing with you who/where the other restaurantes are!). THe hotel in itself is an exposition of art... tasteful pictures painted on the walls, colorful columns decorating the interior patio.
On the top there is a little but very (VERY) inviting pool after a day at the beach. From the hammock you can enjoy the breeze with a view of the sea... I spent the late-afternoon hours there day dreaming!!
Flor de Maria... we will go back!!

18  Thank GENOVESA
Ames,IA
Reviewed 20 July 2004

We have stayed at the Flor de Maria for 10 winters.
What a great place to visit.
The owners and staff are our friends. We look forward to each visit. What a great place to relax.
It is great walking distance to all parts of town.
The resturant is a great place to eat.Alex and his bar is the place you want to spend a hot afternoon and gather to see people for a before dinner drink.
We have talked about our great vacation spot. We now have 3 other couples from Ames wanting information aout the area.
Across the street from the Maria-is a great coffee shop. Our friends think it like reading one of Hemingway's novels-because of the interesting people one meets in the little cafe-across the street from the Maria.
Don't expect posh-like Cancun. Flor de Maria is neat ,clean and quaint. A wonderful place to spend a relaxed vacation.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My wife and I returned yesterday from a week's stay at the Flor de Maria. It was a lovely place to stay. The layout of the hotels is traditional, with all rooms around a central courtyard. The food is a special treat, and some of the finest in PE. Our room was comfortable (two double beds, ceiling fan, bath room with a good shower). Even though temperatures were in the 90s, there was no need for A/C. The hotel is 1/2 block from Playa Marinero, a terrific beach. Flor de Maria is 5-to-10 minute walk on the beach from both the Playa Zicatela beach and restaurants and the shopping street, El Adoquin. The owners, Jo Anne and Paul were very helpful and everyone there couldn't have been nicer. It's a special place. Go there!

10  Thank kitso4458
Denver, CO
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My friend and I stayed in Puerto Escondido after spending a month in Oaxaca city. It was beautiful, the food was tasty, and the mojito (spelling???) drinks were perfect! I would agree with the point made be another reviewer that the owners were a little off-standish, but the staff seemed fine to us.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2003

A friend and I have just spent the best part of a week at the Hotel Flor de Maria and thought it was fabulous. Paul was very helpful and accomodating as were his entire team.

I could not speak highly enough either of the hotel or Puerto Escondido. In a couple of words, GET THERE !

Mark