“A little paradise far from the traffic of a tourist town”

Osa Mariposa Hotelito
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I got in Puerto Escondido travelling from Lake Atitlan in Guatemala at around 11am. After almost 30 hours travelling, I was welcomed by David and Silvia with a big smile, with a well decorated, clean simple place on the background: a nice common area, a restaurant (my first meal was "Chilaquiles en salsa roja" -- INCREIBLE!), hammocks, clean and spacious toilets and showers with large mirrors. The rooms are big enough to keep your stuff, very simple and cozy: mosquito nets, fans and hooks.. it is about all you might need, specially being only two blocks from the beach! The mezcal bar was the reason I decided to come here, and I wasn't disappointed: a good variety of "mezcales artesanales", some made in the hostel by the stuff (cinnamon flavoured mezcal is a fantastic medicine!). The location is perfect, 20 minutes walk from the over populated Zicatela and only few minutes from La Punta. Coletivos into town are cheap and taxis too. I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

the hostel is nice but i wouldn't call it a botiqe hotel. the cabins are very basic, plenty of mosquitos with no proper mosquito net. also the toilets are located far from the rooms. the place could have been nice if it was cheaper but you can get so much more value for your money in zicatela beach.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I came to visit Osa Mariposa Hostel with my friend days ago and Jade welcomed us with a big smile even she was busy.
The peaceful and nice atmosphere are combined with a beautiful garden.
Vegetarian and homemade food are so tasty too or you can order a cold drink.
The owner Dan is very friendly as well
Thanks for your hospitality! and see you around amigos
Cheers

Room Tip: private cabins are much better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank betour02
Reviewed 15 August 2013

osa.mariposa is a glorious getaway!!...
the staff...the scenery...the service...are all ideal!.
you feel like you have found family away from home!!!!
the food is fabulous!...vegetarian and! all homemade with lots of love!!!.
nothing beats their sensational smoothies!
the garden is beyond beautiful!!!.
and! the place is immaculately clean. ...always.
oh! it.s literally a skip to the beach...
these bungalows are the best for any beach bum coming to surf both zicatela and la punta!!
stay here!!! you will be enchanted by everything!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jade c
Reviewed 26 July 2013

What can I say…I LOVE OSA Mariposl! So much in fact that I stayed at this lovely hostel for ~2months (05/13-07/13). From day one Dave, Silvia & Aquiles (Osa’s Staff) treated me like “familia” and after that I just couldn’t leave, except to go surfing.
Speaking of surfing, one of my favorite things about Osa is that it is perfectly located between “La Punta:” a nice left (point break) that almost never fails and the world famous Zicatela (aka The Mexican Pipeline). So depending on your mood, barrels or no barrels, the waves are just a short walk away. ALSO, when it is really small (~under 1meter) & glassy you can actually surf the beach break in front of Osa = no crowd, an occasional barrel & loads of fun.
Regarding “la comida”…the food at Osa is amazing. ”WOW!” is definitely an under statement. All the food is freshly made from scratch and they only use/buy locally grown or produced products. My favorite items on the menu are the Falafel sandwich, followed by a close second is the Black Bean Burger and the hummus plate is also very yummy! .
During my stay at Osa I also did some traveling around Oaxaca and to Chiapas. I luckily turned to the folks at Osa for advice pertaining to my sought destinations and they where SO helpful. They provided me with great advice on where to go but and how to get there (as economically & comfortably as possible). Last note, Osa’s facilities where very well kept and the bathrooms & showers where always spotless. And the garden is very impressive! Dave spent many months planning his beautiful garden and all his hard work has certainly paid off.

If you are in or headed to Puerto Escondido, check out Osa Mariposa!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Martinlandia
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I love this place. Delicious food and a great atmosphere. Always good music and very nice staff. The garden is so beautiful and you can get lost in a hammock staring at the flowers. I think there are the cleanest bathrooms of Puerto Escondido, jaja! Every time you are in Puerto Escondido, you should check out Osa Mariposa. Go for it. And maybe you'll stay there a long time...

Room Tip: You can ask for a mosquito nat if they bother you. Actually the rooms are really nice. Basic, but pr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JorgeGranMono
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Nice place with nice owners. Typical hostal style with bar and restaurant. The restaurant serves good vegetarian food. The wooden cabañas are very basic but clean. Only that they are very close together therefore you can hear every single word from the neightbors. It's very hot inside, we could'nt find any sleep, but since the party was going on almost all night long there was anyway not sleep. The location is close to the beach and aprox. 2 kms away from main part of Playa Zicatela (Bars & Restaurants). We move to another place because it was to isolated for us and we wanted to get some sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KPeetersen
OsaMariposaPE, Manager at Osa Mariposa Hotelito, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm sorry to know that you weren't able to sleep well here. Of course there are some seasons and nights in Puerto Escondido where the heat is intense. Usually the fan is enough to keep cool at night, but the climate does take some time to get used to.

As far as noise, we start to close down the bar at 11 p.m. and should be silent by midnight. Sometimes there is a party in the neighborhood that can be heard in the hostel. It's rare, but it can happen. But we can assure our guests that Osa Mariposa maintains a strict "no noise past midnight" rule. We all like a little party, but we love to sleep, too!

Thank you for the comments. It helps us stay on our toes and provide the best service we can.

Happy travels!