“Great views, amazing value”
Review of Hotel Buena Vista

and 1 more site!
Hotel Buena Vista
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Air con, wifi, hot water and nice views from the balcony over the pacific, all for less than 30 bucks a night? You cant really go wrong can you? We stayed for a few days, initially in a different hotel which i forget the name of and thought we would check this place out because its name seemed to claim it had a nice view. It did and it was cheaper than our other hotel and came with AC too! Really good option for people who travel on a budget but still demand comfort.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wilmaxwell
There are newer reviews for Hotel Buena Vista

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I loved this place!

I was planning to stay in Zicatela for 8 nights, so I took a cheap room in a hostel for my first night, and spent some time walking down the Zicatela strip, looking at rooms in quite a few places and comparing value-for-money.

Buena Vista seemed like a nice place and the best value, so I took it for a week.

I was certainly not disappointed, and everything was great.
---> Simple no-uneccesary-frills room with a great location and views!
And that flight of steps is really not as bad as it sounds :-)

Additionally, I can't understand that a previous reviewer* can state that the woman who runs the hotel is rude. The rules are clear (and in English) about (left-)luggage. And I can't imagine she would've been strict about the rules, if things were not done behind her back.

Anyway, the manager was always very friendly, and the cleaning staff too.

(* This is what is unfortunate about Tripadvisor - anybody can unfairly rate down an establishment based on a bad experience. Sure, the staff can be rated down after a bad experience, but for example, why should the "Location" or "Sleep Quality" be rated down in such an example?).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Rolandinho10
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I've stayed here several times and have mastered the 73-step stairway leading from Zicatela Beach to this simple, clean and affordable hotel's mid-level rooms. Hot showers, mini fridge, wide patios, and cold Pacificos at Merlin's right next door. Sometimes my room costs $35, other times it's $55. What matters most are the Buena Vista's cool vibe, fantastic location and super-fast ceiling fans.

Room Tip: Load up on cervezas at Merlin's.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John V
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I have never met a women so rude as the lady who runs this hotel. She was extremely unfriendly when we arrived, basically throwing our keys at us and pointing us in the direction of our rooms.

After spending three relative quiet nights at the hotel, we needed to leave our bags there until 7pm so we could go on a trip before getting the bus. The lady who runs the place refused to let us leave our bags any later than 5pm. A bit unreasonable I thought but not a problem as I had a friend staying in a different room who was stay an extra night. We could just leave our bags in the friend’s room for a couple of hours til we got back. Well it turns out you can not even leave one bag in a friends room for 2 hours. Said friend got thrown out of the hotel too. The owner went completely crazy at us because there were two extra bags in a friends room for 2 hours….i still have no idea why, but to be honest it was quite a frightening experience, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank threeminutehero
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This place is awesome - super cheap and absolutely no frills but great location and views! This would definitely be the best budget place on Zicatela.

Just a flight of steps away from a shop for groceries, plenty of restaurants (Los Tios is the best!), bars and taxis come by all the time to take you to other areas of the town.

Definitely get a room with air conditioning - while loud, it's so hot there that you'd struggle to sleep without it + it's so nice after hiking up those stairs.

We almost didn't stay here because we couldn't book online and we don't speak Spanish but after some searching I found a website for them and they got back to me really quickly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Appleetty
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Good rooms opposite the Zicatela beach. The rooms were very clean and well equipped with a basic kithenette, and the hot water showers in the en suite bathrooms had good water pressure. All the rooms are facing the beach and have balconies with outside seating which was nice. There was free wifi but only available closer to the main office- not in the rooms.

Overall, good value and a great budget place to stay and chill out.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Buena Vista was a great place for me and my fiance to stay on our honeymoon (luna de Miel). It had a beautiful view as the name suggests, and the staff and owners were very pleasant. I loved seeing the iguana's in the trees off our deck everyday. They were fun to watch. We had a room that was $40/ night, with a/c and a kitchenette. This helped us to save money and experience cooking with the local foods. We stayed pretty close to the beach most of the time, since it was hard to want to go traveling knowing that a heavenly place was right out your door. It wasn't a far walk to go to a great restaurant. Every day we ate at Mango's at least once, either for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The staff was very nice and the food was always delicious and reasonably priced. TWO 4 1 Happy Hour was our daily treat. The local musicians would play outside, and a torch juggler would perform almost every night. It was pretty entertaining.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sarahville