“Paradise at La Punta”

Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
Toronto
“Paradise at La Punta”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We recently had the pleasure of staying at Casamar close to la Punta in Puerto Escondido. The minute we stepped through the gates of the small, boutique hotel, we knew we had picked the right place. Our room was #9- CONGA- beautifully appointed with everything a traveler could ask for...full kitchen, (we used the bender to make smoothies with mangoes that were falling from the trees), wifi, wonderful light, ceiling fans and a huge bathroom with a great shower. The hotel is tranquil, with a luxe private pool and wonderfully landscaped property. The owner, Will was friendly and helped us to save an injured bird we found on the beach. He drove us to the vet and then onto the Laguna where it was happily released into calm waters. The staff were also fantastic- our rooms were cleaned daily and Ulysses the manager was always available to advise. Two blocks from the beach- we swam at the point everyday and dined at local restaurants like Selva and Bugiganga. We also took the collectivo from the top of the road to the market to pick up local gifts, and delicious local foods. It was a great holiday and I look forward to bringing friends back. Thank you Casamar!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lela333
CasamarPuerto, Gerente at Casamar Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
We look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Zejtun, Malta
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Casamar has excellent service, food and the place is amazing. Just few metres from Zicatella beach and minutes from the town. I spent 4 weeks in paradise :)
It far exceeded my expectations and also those of other ppl attending the training course. The manager was helpful in the best way he could be and even took ppl to town..
The rooms are spotlessly cleaned everyday, free wifi, excellent food, the perfect stay at Puerto Escondido!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week. We originally had reservations for three nights and were so comfortable here that we decided to extend our stay. The owner and the property manager made us feel at home and were always very welcoming. The hotel offers great yoga and salsa aerobics classes. This place is great for family and couples. They have a nice garden, pool and family room. All rooms have kitchens. Overall this is by far one of the best values in town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pilar M
Chocowinity, NC
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Casamar far exceeded our expectations. The owner personally squired us around the environs of Puerto Escondido and a surrounding island, and the food and drink were magnificent. I WILL return!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I just returned from a three-month trip to Mexico, almost a month of which I spent at Casamar in Puerto Escondido. Despite what you might expect based on the news reports in the U.S., I never felt unsafe or threatened in any way during my time south of the border. In fact, if I could find a job in Puerto Escondido, I would move there permanently! Unlike vacations I’ve taken in larger Mexican resort areas like Cancun and Los Cabos, I didn’t feel separated from the local population in Puerto Escondido. Plus, I really enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere and un-crowded beaches of this smaller fishing town turned surf mecca.

Casamar is a lush oasis located just steps from Playa Zicatela and a short taxi- or collectivo- ride from the center of town. Tucked into a charming garden are two villas with a combined total of 12 beautifully-maintained guest suites, all of which have fully-equipped kitchens. I loved having the option of eating at local restaurants or cooking for myself after shopping at the open-air market downtown. (There’s also a supermarket for those less-adventurous travelers!) I stayed in two separate rooms during my time there, both of which were great: everything was kept incredibly clean, the rooms were stocked with a filtered water cooler, the beds were comfortable, and there were ceiling fans and air conditioning. The tile-work in the kitchen and bathroom areas as well as the bed linens were all made by local artisans.

Not only were the rooms themselves wonderful but the rest of the hotel’s amenities were as well. When I wasn’t at the beach or exploring the surrounding areas, I spent time on the secure property swimming in the pool, reading in the shade of the palapas, and relaxing in a hammock. Casamar even offered morning yoga and evening aerobics classes to guests free of charge. There was free wi-fi available throughout the property and also a lounge with satellite TV and a small lending library. Guests were introduced more formally at a weekly meet-and-greet but I got to know a number of lovely people – singles, couples, and families - simply hanging out at the pool.

Possibly the best part about my stay at Casamar though, was the staff. Every single person who worked there during my visit was amazing. From the moment I arrived, I felt very welcome and taken care of. Ulises, Casamar’s manager, absolutely made my stay. His English is perfect but he was willing to humor me practicing my Spanish. Any time I needed advice, he provided me with directions, information, or recommendations for beaches, restaurants, and activities. He can also arrange a variety of trips for guests with local guides. While I was there, I ventured outside of town a few times, canoeing in a lagoon, riding horse-back to natural hot springs, swimming with dolphins, and sunbathing at neighboring beaches.

If you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation in a beautiful setting where you have the opportunity to experience Mexican culture, book your trip to Casamar right away!

Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank OkayWhereToNext
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Very comfortable accommodations and a brilliant staff. Every question answered, every request fulfilled. The pool was a great asset, sparkling clean and lovely tile artwork and pleasant surroundings. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Zurich
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Casamar isn't in the Tourist Centre of Puerto Escondido, it is in a quiet area towards the end of the main Zicatela beach (la Punta). Given that there are taxis passing by the end of the road every 2 or 3 minutes who will run you into town for about USD2, this means you can have a nice quiet sleep and still be close to the action. Its also a safe 30 minute walk down the beach to town if you want the healthy option.
So we eventually decided that Casamar's location is an advantage - since we enjoyed the beach walks. There are also some OK local restaurants 10 minutes safe walk at La Punta, if you are willing to try local food. There is also a great upmarket beachside restaurant 5 minutes away called Guadua, which is worth a visit.
Unlike many suites, Casamar has a fully equipped kitchen with cutlery, crockery, coffee machine, fridge etc. The owners have a part of the hotel reserved just for them. This ensures that the whole hotel has a homely family-run feel with very helpful and happy staff who soon become friends.
We initially booked for 7 nights but extended for a further two. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.
Puerto Escondido is a great place to visit and in August had nice temperatures. We'd definitely go back there and back to Casamar too.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple