“Miserable Reception Staff”

Ranked #1 of 2 Winkfield B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes
“Miserable Reception Staff”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed here for work, colleague was also staying here. I arrived to be greated by 'your 1 of the 2 then', that was my welcome! - I had room 3. The warms are very charming, with a cottage feel to them, well appointed, nice furnishings. Breakfast was laid out on my table with two cereals bowls for two. One of them was dirty! The room was heated and was very warm (no complaints from me here!). My colleague and I had a meal in the restaurant, it was nothing special (Fish & Chips & Rissotto) - excellent service though. Colleague and I returned to my room, which had an interconnecting door, my neighbour was very loud and had her television loud. I went to bed, read my book until 11.15 pm could not sleep becuase of the noise so I finally tapped on the inter connecting door to ask for it to be turned down, it was. My surprise was this morning when I had my shower, the window in the bathroom was broken and as it was right next to the shower, I was cold and it was not very private!!! I tried to close it but it was jammed. Lots of spiders in the bathroom (5!!) and lots of spiders in the bedroom. But the room and bathroom gave the appearance of being clean.

On Check out there was a lady on reception (glasses and blond hair) she obviously does NOT ENJOY HER JOB! she did not smile or acknowledge my colleauge or I when we were settling our bill - no please, no thank you, no communication and no enquiry as to whether we enjoyed our stay. Very poor and YES I DID MAKE A COMMENT TO HER WHEN I LEFT.

To be customer care is extremely important and I feel the place is let down by this, plus my broken window, I was a single lady in a room on my own in a ground floor room and this was a security issue. Glad I did not know when I arrived otherwise I would not have stayed. I personally would not stay here, the previous weeks when styaing in the area I stayed in main chained room hotels for the same price and had a much better experience.

Room Tip: Dont chose room 3 - broken window and interconnecting door which can be noisey from room 2
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ThomasG67, Owner at The Winning Post, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit a review. It is disappointing that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

Normally our receptionists are extremely jolly and professional, however, the lady who interacted with you has informed me that she was having a very bad day and wanted to personally apologise for her rudeness.

Unfortunately the window had for some reason got jammed. It was fixed the next day and will not cause any more problems. We have a placed a a large sheet of wood between the interconnecting doors in order to make sure there is no disturbance.

I am delighted that you thought the service in the restaurant was good as it is an area that we put a lot of focus into.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed here one night for our first wedding anniversary. Lovely, comfortable, cosy room, unfortunately we stayed on a Sunday night which meant that the restaurant was not open but the menu looked fantastic. Staff were so helpful, could not do enough to help, especially when I left some trousers in the room and they posted them back to me without any charge. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after. We definitely like to make the extra effort!

I hope you are able to visit again on another night of the week so that you can try the restaurant.
warrington, cheshire
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Some of the staff at the Cottage Inn have been there a long time, which says a lot about the place and the area of Ascot. They were friendly, welcoming and generally happy to do what they could for you. Wesley, who is new, was very keen to impress with his knowledge and service over dinner on Friday night after our long journey from Cheshire. He did just that. The food is about the right price for us - £15 for a main course - for the quality, though the specials at £35 seemed expensive? The wine list, comprehensive and champagne by the glass is always a good idea.

The twin room we had was the right amount of country, bejou, boutique. The beds, comfy and clean. The breakfast is available in the room which is a great bonus. We chose continental which was yoghurt, juice and muffins. Just enough.

Room service in a B&B is unusual. However I suppose being attached to a good restaurant helps and we had good food served on the saturday in our room after a busy day.

Situation 10 minutes from the racecourse, I can see it attracts lots of racegoers and I can recommend it as value for money if you are staying around Ascot or Windsor for any reason.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We recently returned to the Cottage Inn on the strength of is excellent restaurant alone, having stayed overnight last year and not been particularly impressed by the rooms. What a delight to discover that the rooms had just been redesigned and decorated in the most charming style: elegance and taste wedded to cosy, cottage comfort. We managed a peek in one other room but were told that all ten rooms were individually designed as variations on the same theme. With the excellence of the restaurant menu, this is now a hidden gem in the Berkshire countryside not to be missed if you are looking for a romantic and charming stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winkfield
Stirrups Country House Hotel
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell

Been to The Winning Post? Share your experiences!