“Absolutely beautiful place to unwind, would love to come back please!”

Cascina Cesarina B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Borgo Ticino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Cascina Cesarina is conveniently located less than 30 mins from Milan Malpensa airport. I really did not expect how pretty it would be, its got a very rustic feel to it and the minute you get there its impossible not to relax. The house itsself is great, with a large kitchen and 2 floors of bedrooms with balconies, but its also amazing because of the woodland grounds and of course, the swimming pool and basketball hoop area. The room was also very nice and comfortable with a more-than-decent en-suite bathroom. I would definitely recommend this place and would love to come back for another stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
lorrainebb, Proprietario at Cascina Cesarina B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. This year, in addition to our 'standard' tourist, here to visit the Italian Lakes (and enjoy some sunshine and good food), we have noticed an increase in British guests whose primary objective is 'chilling', enjoying everything Cascina Cesarina has to offer, interspersed with trips to the Borromeo Islands and the rest of Lake Maggiore, Lake Orta, or to nearby mountain/wilderness areas for short hikes. Glad you enjoyed yourselves and yes, come back anytime - budget airlines make it so easy even for a long weekend!

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed for a few nights at Cascina Cesarina and loved every minute of it. Lorraine and Franco, the owners, are so friendly and welcoming. Our room was an excellent size and very clean with tea and coffee facilities and a TV. We ate there one evening and had three fabulous courses with very authentic italian food. All of the vegetables came from their own garden so the food was very fresh. We rented a car at Malpensa airport and only took about 20 minutes to drive to the B & B. The nearest town, Arona, is beautiful with great views of the lake and lots of lively bars and restaurants. There is also the best ice cream shop I have ever been to nearby! Highly recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
lorrainebb, Owner at Cascina Cesarina B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us - and that our food went down so well. After years of people thinking we were a bit mad to be so keen on organic food and growing as much of our own food as possible, and buying the rest from local producers, it is nice to see that we were really just ahead of the city-dwellers' fashion! You are one of several guests who have mentioned how excellent the new ice-cream place in Arona is - I now have favourite gelaterias to suggest in Arona, Castelletto, Sesto Calende, Orta San Giulio..... and a mean selection of home-made fruit ice creams appear according to the season's production at Cascina Cesarina.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

There are many things about this wonderful authentic B&B that make it special but the one element that really made CASCINA CESARINA stand out for me were the hosts. And the food. Also, the fact that I think I might have actually discovered shangri la and it's in Italy.
A genuine family run business, you feel more welcomed than if you were to stay with your own relatives. I was greeted with the friendly Ciao! but fortunately they recognised the confused look on my face which resulted in the conversation switching to immaculate English.
Supper was always the ultimate treat. I have eaten well in my life, dining at fancy restaurants and in expensive hotels but genuinely nothing compares. Nothing! Truly the most magnificent home grown, seasonal and local ingredients came together in sumptuous Italian recipes to form dishes which made me think I had died and gone to heaven. A typical meal might consist of pasta arrabatia for starters, a fat trout caught hours earlier from an alpine river served with a mind meltingly delicious and home grown salad for the main, all finished off by a home made home grown summer fruit tart. Amazing!
During the day we had great plans to explore the area, being close to Arona, Lake Garda and Milan but we were a bit exhausted at this stage so spent a lot of time sunbathing by the pool or playing a little basket ball/table tennis. But mainly I lounged around in one of the hammocks pretending to read whist I actually snoozed the afternoon away waiting for the first glass of wine, board and card games to begin. Nirvana.

Difficult to find flaws really, I just wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Noise is so not an issue and the Italian countryside was beautiful in every direction
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

I try to answer all reviews, also to show I do take the time to read them and keep track of any suggestions guests may make.... but this time I confess I am lost for words: your review is so complimentary as to be quite embarrassing! Thanks so much. I am glad you and your friends had such a good time - there seemed to be a continual flurry of competitions and tournaments you organized in between your dips in the pool!

Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband & I stayed at Cascina Cesarina & will definitely be back again, more than once I'm sure! The hosts (Lorraine & Franco) have so much knowledge about the local area, and seemingly the whole of Italy! They were only too happy to point us in the right direction when we were looking for places to explore, whether to nearby places such as the beautiful Lago Maggiore or day trips slightly further afield. The food at Cesarina was simply delicious - all freshly prepared, much of which used produce from their own land. It is located approximately a 30 minute drive from Malpense airport, which is close enough to be very convenient, but is in a lovely quiet setting, just made for relaxation, and having a pool onsite is a definite bonus! We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
lorrainebb, Proprietario at Cascina Cesarina B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2011

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to share our love of the Italian Lake District with you. What a lovely photograph you took of the silver peacock at Isolabella - I think we should launch a photographic contest amongst our guests - there are so many photogenic sights to see!

Reviewed 5 June 2011

Everything about Cascina Cesarina is great & more, any assistance you may need to help make your stay more enjoyable is there. The food is second to none 5*****. & lots of it, if you are on a diet its not the place for you, having said that that I am sure Lorraine could conjure something up that would be fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
lorrainebb, Owner at Cascina Cesarina B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you and your wife here for a week, and to see how you enjoyed Italian cooking more each day - and how happy you were that on the last evening your wife persuaded you to try out the 'Ossobuco con risotto alla milanese'! As for dieters, no problem - you were tactful enough not to mention that I rarely ate the pasta and rice dishes I prepared for you, but joined in heartily with the home-produce-only 14-veg minestrone!
You came at an excellent time for our fresh fruit salads, too, packed with raspberries and strawberries, as well as mulberries and wild strawberries and the very first blueberries of the season. We hope you will return to see more of the Borromeo Islands and maybe try the Lago Maggiore Express trip right round/across the lake by boat and train. Franco and I compliment you on your 'off the beaten track' approach to our area. You are some of the few people who go out to discover the beautiful small villages away from the main tourist attractions, and to see how the locals live.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

I have stayed here three times now and highly recommend it for its friendliness, the fact that the lady of the house is English but has lived in Italy for thirty years, is married to an Italian and between them they can tell you anything - very lively chats over mealtimes. Her food is plentiful and excellent, with many ingredients coming from their own land. Feels like a real farm with animals around. There's a pool and also a huge garden for barbecuing or enjoying some Prosecco of a summer evening. Very close to Malpensa airport, so it's great for a short break (and you can check the flight status online before leaving). The house and bedrooms have real character. Stayed there as a couple for a romantic break and also alone when I needed some fresh country air. If you want to understand something about Italian politics, just ask a few questions at dinner! All in all, came away with batteries recharged.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. The fact that you have been to Cascina Cesarina three times, after an initial solo business trip to Italy, and included it on a romantic itinerary, speaks for itself. In addition to the Prosecco we have been buying directly from the same producer in Valdobbiadene for years, we now have local organic white and Rosé wines ('Passione Rosa' is strong, dry yet fragrant and my absolute favourite) and Franco recently went to replenish our supply of organic Dolcetto and other Piedmontese wines from neighbouring provinces. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2010

We found this B&B totally by accident. We were driving to Venice and found ourselves suddenly without a lodging in Aosta, so we got on line and luckily discovered this hidden treasure. Lorraine, the hostess, and her lovely husband Franco, gave us one of the most fond memories of our vacation. The room was quiet and comfortable, like home. The yard and grounds are relaxing, and if you're lucky the rasberries and blueberries will be fruiting. There are two goofy dogs which the kids loved. We only spent a night, but this location would be a perfect central point from which to launch day trips around Lago Maggiore and the surrounding countryside. Warning: without a car you wont get here. And, it is not in Novara at all, but about 25 km outside of town towards the southern tip of Lago Maggiore in a small village called "Borgo Ticino".

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

It was a pleasure having you, and the children were such fun too. A real shame you couldn't stay longer, so although you had a chance to sample our fruit and vegetables, you didn't manage to visit the many wonders of Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta, or to enjoy just relaxing around the pool, maybe after some intensive bargain-hunting at one of the weekly markets each town has! Remember us next time you come to Italy!

Been to Cascina Cesarina B&B? Share your experiences!