“Could not be happier”

Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had an incredible time in our trip. Our room was breathtaking and the service was even better. On our first night we ordered a romantice room service dinner which made the Aman's hotel's look insuficient. The pool, the food, spa and the facilities were more than what we could have hoped for. If you go don't miss the "food market" were you can pick your catch of the day and how tha have it prepared. The only thing that was not spectacurar but was good was the desserts and meager wine menú. But then again you are in the beach where you will probably be drinking a nice tequila.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Perhaps the best, most relaxing establishment I have ever visited. Staff are totally attentive to the minutest details necessary to please even the pickiest (me)! Very few children and those that are here are well behaved and quiet. Accommodations provide very large indoor and outdoor space, huge bathroom, private heated infinity plunge pool, impeccable views of the Pacific, complete privacy in your room, good food, and property easy to navigate. Warning: If flights connect in Mexico City, watch out for slow immigration processing and very few if any people who can speak English or provide reliable directions to your gate.

Quick facts I couldn't easily find scanning other reviews: property has standard US 110v power, has box fans available if needed, room safes, large plush bathrooms, nice showers with descent but fluctuating water pressure, ceiling fans in bedroom and bathroom, fridge in room, free bottled water, free in room Wi-Fi, complementary his/her bicycles, amazing nature trail nearby, in room LED TV with available HDMI inputs you can connect Apple TV or games to, a fair number of English broadcast TV stations, descent currency exchange rate at desk ($1 US= 11.80 Pesos), and lots of grocery stores en-route from airport if you want to pick up some snacks for your stay. The ocean view is breathtaking, with many very large rocky island outcroppings. Bugs are not a problem. The property appears brand new in every detail except for many two bulb light fixtures with only one operating in hallways and one piece of gym equipment not working properly. On the down side, no air conditioning in the bathroom, no tub, limited food choices, and no beach.

Two days prior to leaving for 5 day/4 night trip I contacted the hotel via the Tripadvisor property link. Christian was quick to respond and answered numerous questions for me. We exchanged numerous e-mails and in the end I prearranged round trip transport from the airport to the hotel for $117. While at the Atlanta airport, I exchanged $200 US for 2,150 Pesos so I could buy groceries and tip our driver and service staff. I exchanged an additional $100 at the hotel and this provided enough cash for what staff seemed to feel were very generous tips.

We flew from Atlanta to Mexico City where we had a 90 minute layover before our flight to Ixtapa and we almost missed our connection. The line for immigration was extremely long and disorganized. No one was available to direct the queue, answer questions, or confirm we were really in the correct line. Signs in the airport are confusing and no one at the airport speaks English. I recommend you prepare ahead of time for navigating this place! After clearing immigration we passed through customs easily (we were not picked for inspection), but we then had to go through airport security which was slow. We asked for directions to our gate and were given wrong info by 5 different people. The domestic terminal is huge and we had to walk the entire length of this horseshoe shaped terminal due to poor communication with airport officials! This was really inexplicable and inexcusable considering this airport’s status as an International Airport! Also, be prepared to see armed soldiers at both airports.

Christian gave explicit directions on how to navigate the Ixtapa airport and where to make contact with the hotel representative who escorted us to our taxi. Beware the many people trying to offer you rides. They are actually trying to rope you into a time share tour from what I was told. In any case, they were annoying. Though I didn't have a lot of time to analyze the situation, I didn't feel it would be very easy or perhaps safe to find a cab on my own. I definitely recommend booking transportation through the hotel!

The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 30 minutes. You can tell the area has been economically challenged, but it is clean and the roads seem well maintained. Christian prearranged for our driver to stop at a market for me to pick up some snacks. The store we visited was like a mini Walmart and sold everything from motor scooters to all food/drink, produce, wine, liquor, pharmacy, etc. We gave our driver a generous tip for allowing us the time for this stop. As we approached the hotel property, we were very impressed with how well maintained the roads were, most with adjacent, nicely maintained biking/walking trails and nicely maintained plantings in the center medians.

Once we arrived at the property we were greeted warmly and escorted to check-in. We were basically given a private tour of the property with explanations of all the amenities by Antonio. He is very gracious and spent a great deal of time with us, even taking us to our room and explaining all its intricate lighting controls, plunge pool heating, and other amenities. We were very impressed to find balloons on either side of the bed with “Happy Birthday” spelled out with rose petals and leaves on the bed! In my correspondence with Christian, he asked if there was any special occasion for our trip and I let him know it was a landmark birthday for me. This place is serious about exceeding all expectations! Our luggage was already in our room and arranged for easy unpacking in the enormous closet/bathroom area when we arrived and Christian had already placed an HDMI cable in the TV for me to use in case I didn't bring one!

I want to provide some clarity on the hotel layout. The hotel consists of approximately 60 suites, all facing south toward the ocean. If standing facing the ocean, the area to the right of check-in is often referred to as the “main pool” area in other reviews. This is where you will find the largest fresh water pool and most of the restaurants and rooms with more privacy and sun on the outside living space. The hotel structure to the left is on a bit more of a curve and may receive less sun and may have less privacy due to the curve. That side of the hotel has its own, smaller salt water infinity pool. Basic amenities of all the rooms are similar from what I understand.

My room reservation was for a Capella Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite. We had room 55, a corner room that Antonio says has one of the largest bathrooms on the property. Everything looks brand new and works as it should. Our outside area consists of a double sofa, chair, ottoman, and other small tables, along with our infinity pool. There is a partial roof overhead so you can retract out of the sun if desired. The area is completely private except for a distant property where no details are visible. We received direct sunlight from late morning through the afternoon, but the sun is high enough that it doesn’t shine into the bedroom and heat it up.

The living space is large with approximately 2/3s bedroom 1/3 bathroom. There is on air conditioner in the main bedroom. The bathroom gets very warm and steamy and we solved the problem by getting a box fan from the hotel to blow air from the bedroom into the bathroom. We always travel with a small box fan and used it to further distribute air in the bathroom during the day and then to blow air on us while sleeping at night. Yes, all this is a minor drawback of the property, but a trivial inconvenience in the scope of things.

The infinity pools are amazing and are surrounded by umbrellas and cabanas to stay out of the sun if desired. There are various areas you can access that are private for ocean viewing and you do have access to the ocean, but the area is very rocky and difficult to maneuver. The spa is fabulous with many treatment rooms in direct view of the ocean. The massage therapists are great. Whale spotting is an occasional treat according to staff.

The food quality and service is good but the menus are limited. We found the kitchen willing to make just about anything we could think of, so your imagination seems to be the only limiting issue. Room service is available 24/7 and you can get anything served on the property without limitation. Two custom lobster dinners cost $120. Hamburger was not that great. Our package included daily breakfast. We ate in the restaurant and anything on the menu was provided at no cost. The hotel makes its own pastries, jams, and fresh fruit drinks that are awesome. The hotel adds a modest service charge to all other food/drink orders but I always provided extra tip in Pesos and received truly exceptional service consistently.

All in all, a great place to visit and we will be back! Many thanks to all the staff who made this such an outstanding retreat!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on right side are very private and large. We had room 55 on the fifth floor. I'm...
7  Thank Mark_Thebaut
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My girlfriend took me for a long birthday weekend. We are quite familiar with Capella Pedregal ad love the Capella brand. The hotel is built into the cliff with every room having an amazing view. We had a penthouse which was so incredibly comfortable we never felt like leaving. We did on occasion leave the room to visit all of the great inning experiences. My favorite was the fish market restaurant. I ad some of the best sashimi I have ever had. The staff is fantastic, the entire property is well pet and lean. I would recommend this place all day long. Enjoy!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I took my wife for her B-day for a short 4days/3 nights trip. Excellent property. over a cliff. There are three room categories and you would not go wrong with any of them. Junior Suite, Ocean Front Suite and the Penthouse. Every suite has its own pool, the rooms and the walking closets are pretty much the same size, the difference is the outdoor living area which is part of your suite. If you like a lot of Sun, I would go for the Penthouse or Ocean front, if you want less sun go for the Junior suite. If you have a family or need a connecting room, there are no connecting rooms but you can get an oceanfront and a junior suite across each other. If you want to stay in the penthouse, try #77.. Guaranteed, you wont leave your room, no wonder so many couples and honeymooners , go there very cordial staff, ask for Malenia or Mariam, Luce at room service for better English. They are definitely rated 10. Also very flexible with late check outs, they advertise "No Rules" property..... Will certainly go back and will use this property for some of our private jet tours.... Be sure to go out at 3-4am on your deck and observe the sky. It is a jaw dropping experience with so many stars.....

Room Tip: read the above description, There are only 59 rooms total that includes five penthouses.
3  Thank Yekta3
Reviewed 15 February 2014

we came for six nights just after new years for my wife's birthday. we had stayed at another capella property (pedregal) four times previously and had always wanted to try ixtapa. we were not disappointed. the location is beautiful, the rooms are large and nicely appointed and the staff are fantastic. thanks very much to margarita, chef miguel, luz and all the wonderful breakfast staff at las rocas. you made our stay a real pleasure and we were very sad to leave. we intend to come back next year for another birthday/new years vacation.

things that are great about capella ixtapa:

the rooms and the sense of privacy. the rooms are fairly large and depending upon where you stay (we had a 6th floor room) the plunge pools and balconies can give you a good amount of privacy which we wanted. also, it sometimes seemed like we were the only people there even though the hotel had quite a few other guests.

the staff from the people who clean your room to margarita who can and will organize anything for you. they are all great and extremely friendly and helpful.

the location where you are away from the main tourist trap area of ixtapa. the views are fantastic and the hotel area is just beautiful. also there is a lovely ecological preserve if you follow the bike trail/running trail out from the hotel. my wife and i enjoyed taking the bikes or running there almost daily.

the restaurants are great and the breakfasts keep you going until dinner. we mostly skipped lunch while there as we didn't need it after a capella breakfast. also they serve breakfast up until 12 pm which is great if you want to run/bike ride before you head out for the day.

we did the cooking class with chef miguel which was well worth it. he took us into town to shop at the zihuatanejo market and then we returned and learned how to make authentic salsa's, ceviche's, tortillas and and a quick chocolate dessert which was scrumptious. thank you chef miguel and the pastry dessert chef (i'm sorry but i forgot your name) for a wonderful class. by the way, if you do this, eat a really light breakfast because you will be eating what you prepare and it is A LOT of food.

all in all a fantastic experience and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: we were on the 6th floor to the far left of the complex and it seemed very private.
3  Thank wellingtontraveler
Reviewed 11 February 2014

You can't go wrong with a place with reviews like this and that's exactly why we chose Capella. It not only met, but exceeded our expectations. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was over the top, the architecture and decor of the hotel were stunning, the hotel was immaculate and even the outdoor spaces had a glorious floral spa scent. The room amenities and toiletries were wonderful and especially appreciated since we only packed carry-on luggage. Our advice would be to dine only at Capella. Everything from dinner at A Mares to room service was a culinary work of art and absolutely scrumptious. You won't get bored of the menus and we really felt that it was very good value. We were disappointed every time we ate anywhere else.
We loved our little corner of paradise so much that we sometimes had trouble justifying leaving our room. We did really enjoy the Picante Sunset Cruise, and if we are fortunate enough to return, we will book a daytime cruise with the same company.
Thanks to everyone at Capella for making this such a memorable trip.
My apologies for the photos; they really got cropped when I uploaded them.

Room Tip: Some terraces (and pools) are completely shaded and some are not. Decide what you would prefer and t...
1  Thank JAO38
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Appreciated guest:

On behalf of all the team at Capella Ixtapa, I would like to thank you for sharing this positive review. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful time during your stay and that you enjoyed the entire resort. Your feedback is very valuable to us!!!

We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Eliezer Quinones

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We recently returned to the frozen tundra that is the Midwest this winter, after spending a delightful week at Capella, Ixtapa. Of course, we wanted to share our experience with friends and family when we returned but finding exactly the right words escaped us a little. Lots of superlatives come to mind but beyond the simple beauty of the property and the panoramic views of the ocean, the jewel in the crown of this hotel, is the unsurpassed level of customer service. To the person, from housekeeping up to the manager of the property, this is a well trained team that seeks to exceed expectations. Kudos and thank you to the staff for making our stay memorable. The restaurants here are also great...fresh fish that tastes amazing. Additionally, I took a cooking class with Chef Miguel which was an extraordinary experience. This is a talented professional who has a passion for his work which shines through. Capella Ixtapa is a quiet upscale resort, peaceful and relaxing. If you are looking for a wild party spot this is not it. But if you want to unwind, enjoy the peace and tranquility of the space, this is the best.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hola Amigos,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.
On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valuable feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that the service and staff exceeded your expectations. Chef Miguel will be glad to see your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in the future.

Eliezer Quinones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 23 in Ixtapa
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa

Been to Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa? Share your experiences!