“Best hotel experience I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Capella Ixtapa

Capella Ixtapa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Houston, Texas
“Best hotel experience I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's not cheap to visit Capella Ixtapa btwn Christmas and New Year's, but it was worth every penny. When the bellman opened the door to our room, I almost cried. Our balcony overlooking the ocean had a plunge pool and big couch, and flowers were scattered perfectly to make it extra romantic. This is the perfect place to impress a lady. The staff were incredible everywhere. Margarita helped my fiancée plan the perfect surprise for me and I can't thank all the staff enough for making it one of the most memorable trips of my life.
Take advantage of the activities! The bike ride, salsa lesson, and movie under the stars were so memorable.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Sara G
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapas as your getaway. I am delighted to know that you had a great time with us. I am also glad that you enjoyed the salsa lesson, the bike ride and the movie under the stars!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Eliezer Quinones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our challenge in reading the various reviews is we don't know the backgrounds or standards of the authors. After 5 days at Capella Extapa, regardless of whether your standards are a Four Seasons, Luxury Boutique Hotel, or any more modest hotel, this is an extraordinary property. The rooms are stunning, built into the side of a hill, the staff goes out of its way to assist and take an interest in you, and customize for your needs. All of this plus the experience of only 59 rooms makes Capella Ixtapa a truly wonderful location It's romantic and built around couples and not families or children in any way...which was great. Take the Margarita class with Miguel......and enjoy the food and service. Luz, our "personal assistant" called us before we arrived and then worked to make sure everything was special while we were there. And when arrived to celebrate our 32nd anniversary our bed was covered with flowers....wow!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Farewell2BL
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Appreciated Guest:

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing with us such an important celebration as your anniversary. Thank you very much for your positive feedback, we really appreciate your time. We are delighted that you had enjoyed your stay and that we created a memorable experience for you.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is hands down the most beautiful place to stay in Ixtapa. The service is impeccable, the food is delicious, and the views and rooms are to die for! We spent a week for my birthday and the staff was so sweet that on the morning of my birthday I woke up to a handmade bracelet as a gift from the hotel for my birthday! It was one of the best trips ever! We got a deal using Jetsetter. I would highly recommend checking with them on pricing because we had a $750/night room for $300/night! We even had a private pool on our balcony!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JenSamaria2014
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you very much for selecting Capella Ixtapa as your vacation destination and thank you for sharing this important celebration with us. I am indeed glad to know that you consider our service impeccable.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We just returned from a lovely spring break, with our two children ages 7 and 10, at the Capella Ixtapa. The rooms are beautiful, the pool fantastic, the view from every room was breathtaking, but the best thing about the hotel is the service. I have never stayed at a hotel with a more sincere staff. Even though Capella Ixtapa is normally an adult only hotel with a couple weeks where they allow kids, we felt completely comfortable and welcome. We were sad to leave because we honestly felt we were going to miss our friends we made during our visit. It was a home away from home.

Room Tip: Every room is fabulous. We enjoyed the pool on our patio and our comfy bed the most.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hpchicago
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Appreciated guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Your feedback is very valuable to us.

We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My husband and I went to Capella Ixtapa for our Honeymoon only a week ago and it was everything we could imagine and more! Not only was the resort amazing but the whole town! Everyone there was so very nice. We were greeted warmly everywhere we went.

We had booked the ocean front junior suite. And if you are debating whether you should upgrade your room, please consider how to plan to utilize your vacation. For instance, my husband and I LOVED our room but we were always on an adventure or at the pool. So spending extra money for an infinity pool or more space wasn't necessarily our priority.

Speaking of adventures, while we were in Ixtapa, our personal assistant Luz set up multiple excursions such as a sunset cruise, canopy & zip lining, scuba diving and a day at the spa. Plus, whenever we had one of our many impulsive urges to go into town, she had a cab ready for us in less than 2 minutes. And if you don't want to take a cab, there are free bikes you can use. We actually used the bikes to go to the beach (which was only approx. 2 kilometers away)

Other amazing facts:
-frequent and excellent room service
-restocked beverages everyday
-plunge pool is heated upon request (and it heats up fast)
-amazing staff
-the list goes on and on

The reason, why I give this hotel a 4 out of 5 is for two reasons. The food was overpriced, even though that was not my issue. My issue is that it was overpriced and the food did not taste as good as I expected. So, we would go to town to eat most nights or just order a burger via room service. But I have to give some props, their breakfast was good and all their juices were made fresh. My second reason for the score is because we set up for a taxi ride round trip to the resort via email approximately two weeks before we arrived to Ixtapa. However, no taxi was there when we arrived. There was a lady who was in charge of all Capella Ixtapa pick ups and our name was not on the list. We had to end up taking a taxi at the airport, which at the time made us a little apprehensive (understandably!), because this was our first time in Mexico. But! We came to find out that we had nothing to fear and we made friends with everyone in Ixtapa including the cab drivers! Plus the cost was $15 USD less than if we were to have a ride with the resort.

Overall, we loved the place. I have already recommended it to someone. And we would love to come back one day!

Room Tip: get the junior suite. Its still more luxurious than most hotels' presidential suites.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle M
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Appreciated Guest:

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for visiting Capella Ixtapa and thank you for sharing this important celebration with us.

We regret to hear you were disappointed in some aspects of your visit; thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important for us to obtain this kind of information from our guests in an effort to improve. We are glad to know that overall, you had a great time with us.

Thank you again, we look forward to your visit in the near future.

mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My Russian wife is deeply in love with Cancun. We go there 4 times a year. It is true that the color of the sea and the white beaches are just magnificent.

However, it has some drawbacks: Even though it is not cold in winter, it is just not a tropical climate. The second one is high chances of rain throughout the year. If you want 87 degrees ALL year long, and I mean 365 days a year, you only have 2 choices: Acapulco or Ixtapa.
I still haven’t figured out this, but they have a perfect temperature regardless of the month. If you don’t believe me, look into the statistics over the internet. It is just amazing.

Having said this, I decided that Ixtapa would be the choice. I had not stayed there for a while, but had read great things about the Capella Hotels. My other option was Viceroy.

You have two alternatives if you visit Ixtapa Zihuatanejo. Zihua used to be a fishermen’s village and has a fantastic natural small bay. Viceroy is on the beach at Zihua. The bay is like a very big swimming pool with warm water. About 20 miles from Zihua, you drive past Ixtapa (the town) and drive up on a cliff, next to the best residential zone is Capella.

Actually we spend time in both, but stayed to sleep at Capella and just rented a beach villa at Viceroy to spend the day. If you are into swimming in a very nice location and good european service, you want to stay at Viceroy. If you are for the top notch service, in a more gringo environment, Capella is the place for you.

Capella has become one of my favorite hotels. I have to say I stayed at a penthouse which has a huge terrace that makes you want to stay there forever in your personal hammock.

You will take a long, long morning shower with the bathroom window open and will have a wonderful view of the ocean. It’s just out of this world. Never mind the mirror, I’ll shave myself looking out the window even if I cut myself to death.

The staff will not become your friends; they become an extension of your family. (I might take that back, my relatives are not as cooperative). You are pampered from the moment you step down your taxi and you will not want to leave. You’ve heard about a “buttler”. Here they call it a personal assistant. It is true. I asked for snorkel equipment and she went all the way to town and bought what we needed, for a minimal charge. Amazing.

Food is very good, but the Chef might have tried a little too hard to make a nouvelle cuisine that mixes local ingredients with European culinary. I’d stick with more regular local or international dishes, but it’s still worth trying it. My wife loved the seafood speciality restaurant. Great views too.

Breakfast is good, but don’t expect a huge selection. It’s a la carte, not a buffet. You will kind of miss a good cheese selection or a big variety of fruits, that you might find in your regular Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, but don’t get me wrong, you will have enough alternatives.

One of the best things about Capella is that there is no check in-check out fixed schedule. Yes, you could check in at 6am and leave at 11pm! I understand they spare an additional day of every reservation, thus allowing every guest to arrange their arrival and check out as they please. This is one of the best options I’ve seen in any hotel chain; of course you pay a hefty price per day, but is totally worth it
This hotel stands midway between a luxury chain hotel and a boutique hotel. Service is more personal, rooms are great and it is very well run.

My personal favorite in Mexico is Ventanas al Paraiso in Los Cabos, a Rosewood property, but Capella is the new kid on the block, and even though I have not stayed at their Los Cabos property I have only read great things. I need to book a room at their Maroma Beach property ASAP in the Mayan Riviera.

So if you need a beach and want to swim in a nice warm swimming pool every day (a.k.a, as Zihua) pick Viceroy. If the view, the details, attention and sophistication is your thing, stay at Capella. I hope we could have a Capella-Viceroy fusion plate coming our way in the future.

Mexico is becoming a top destination lately: Four Seasons (Punta Mita), Rosewood properties (Riviera and Cabos); Capella’s; Banyan Tree (Riviera and Acapulco); Ritz Carlton (Cancun); St Regis (Punta Mita); Viceroy; Orient Express; etc., etc. Top beaches, top service, top quality. Less than 4 hours from many destinations within the US. It’s time to scout for these top notch options. Cheers for that.

Room Tip: Book a jr suite and wait for Capella to send you an offer for an upgrade promotion to their penthous...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PegasoMex
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This place pampers you like king/queen. The people here very friendly and helpful with whatever you need. Room service is fairly cheap, but the restaurants are very expensive ($120 each). Ixtapa is a short drive away though with amazing food places to choose from. We are staying in rm. 42 and it has excellent views and an infinity pool. Makes you wonder why you would ever want to leave.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple