“Amazing”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Casa Grande, United States
“Amazing”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a delightful week at Capella Ixtapa in April. Everyone talks about the upper floors but we were on the second floor and you could not see our room from anywhere above. The ocean view can't be beat. We spent many hours in our infinite pool. We love to climb stairs - but the elevator - needs some work. Loved our 'happy hour' presented to us each late afternoon. Food great - the Fish Market is a little pricy!! The spa service was lovely We loved the whole experience. I am sure we will be back.

Room Tip: We did not find any need to be up high. The 2nd floor was great. We had some sun and some shade, w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrence F
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you very much for selecting Capella Ixtapa as your vacation destination. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for your visit and we do hope to have the possibility to host you once again in the future.

Eliezer Quinones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We landed in Zihhuatenejo and rented a car from the airport-The drive was about 30 minutes thru Zihua up to Capella, make sure that you go all the way thru Ixtapa Hotel zone 1 because you need to follow the highway a little further to get to the resort in Hotel Zone II. If you go into Ixtapa it is easy to get back around to Capella by following the signs to "Playa Linda" so no big deal. The resort is almost hidden along road to Playa Linda on the elevated ocean roadway, with no road sign indicating the entrance only a small set of stars on the yellow front entrance indicating "Capella", so it may take a bit to find. If you are driving from the airport in Zihua along 200 you will have to pass the resort, make a u-turn and come back around on the shore side of the road. Club med and Ixtapa Azul are past Capella so if you get there, make a u-turn, take it slow and keep your eye on the right side of the road and you will find it. Security is good out front and they will check you at the gate each time you enter- I personally like that.

Arriving inside we were greeted by Andres who was a pro [super cool] and made us feel right at home checking us in with a chilled strawberry juice and then escorted us to our 6th level room. The rooms have an AMAZING view, the AC is super COOL and a each room has a small private pool to cool off in. (See pics) We had a tremendous amount of privacy on the 6th level so my wife's "unique" sunbathing was not a privacy issue. Valet parking is free --but we tipped- and the room service was timely most all of the time. We left a tip for the maid each day while we left and explored and she made our room a lovely respite for each night. Bikes are available to ride down to Playa Linda - go and check out the Crocs! Turn-down service daily, a classy touch. At the lower Infiniti pool, Rojillio had the drinks and food flowing with no pressure and that's how I like it. He brought us cool washcloths and exotic juices- nicely done. The view of the ocean from the pool is astonishing and Rojillio's trademark phrase..."jenga!" made us smile all day and we just loved the luxurious Capella Mexican vibe. Be careful, the designer margs are $12US...and that can be a bit pricey for a thirsty guy like me. We had dinner at Capella's oceanside seafood restaurant El Mares helped by knowledgable Judia and staff who were wonderful with a tremendous selection of fresh catches and an extensive wine list. The food at Capella is excellent across the board.

This resort deserves five stars- no other resort in Ixtapa can come close. It is very exclusive and worth the price, if over the top 5-star treatment is what you need....and believe me we needed it.

It was the perfect place for my wife and I to get away from the typical "tourists" and the business world and gave us a chance to re-connect with each other exclusively. Very romantic, very private and very luxurious- Do you want to re-connect? ****Capella****

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew C
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you so much for your visit and thank you for your detailed review. Thank you for your comments regarding service, it is with great pleasure we can offer exceptional experiences, as evident by your feedback.

We do hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future so that you can enjoy all the magic that Capella Ixtapa has to offer.

Gracias Amigos!!

Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I visited Capella Ixtapa for a week back in Feb. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and would definitely return again. I enjoy more low key quiet spots and Capelka Ixtapa definitely fits the bill. No offense to the families but I love not having to hear kids screaming all day. During my stay I divided my time between my private villa and the oh so stunning infinity pool. The view was amazing. The late afternoon snacks delivered to your villa are an added bonus. During my cooking class (which I will touch on in a few) I informed Chef Miguel that I don't drink beer or eat avocados. To my astonishment they delivered a yummy Piña Colada and chips / salsa (no guac) for my evening snack instead.

There were a few things that prevented a five star review such as a few stains on the bed linen, bat droppings on the bathroom wall / shelving of the outdoor towel holder which ironically were not even addressed by housekeeping. I eventually requested a room change as my room was directly above the restaurant and a little loud which they accommodated. The second room was a little beside an ac unit but tuning it out worked. During my stay I took advantage of the cooking class with chef Miguel and two months later still raving about it. Do not skip the market visit, it really adds to the experience. Upon return we prepared a number of salsas (several of which are now standard in my household), two diff type of ceviche and a grilled snapper yucatan like dish which I have attempted to recreate several times to no avail. Gosh how I wish I could remember the recipe. Because I'm a chocoholic chef Miguel also invited his pastry chef in at the end of my class who prepared a quick chocolate dessert that was out of this world. I would definitely take the cooking class again and made a friend in Chef Miguel. Wish I could bring him back to the US with me. Oh, they also stored my salsa / ceviche for me and brought to me as my 5:00 snack. Deliciouso!!!! During dinner I requested the chocolate dish prepared during my cooking class vs the menu options and not only did they accommodate my request, Chef Miguel hand delivered to my table. I love that guy!!!!!

Outside of the cooking class, spent much of my time lounging and being lazy. So as not to feel like a total lazy bird I took the bike out one day and ride down to the ixtapa Marina. It was a great ride on the bike trail. There are a few hills that will make you cry for mommy but overall a great ride and workout. Definitely recommended for those who want to get a little workout in without stepping foot into the gym.

Other than the bat droppings referenced earlier and a few areas where service fell a little short, I enjoyed my stay and making plans to return prior to end of year. Looking forward to also trying their sister property Pedegral but will never forget about Ixtapa. Next time will try to venture out to experience more of the local culture.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms on the left side of the property offer a quieter, less obstructive view as they...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Keisha B
Appreciated Guest:

I am pleased to know you had a memorable experience and took advantage of the cooking class with Chef Miguel; this is an example of the category of service we provide to our guest.

Thank you for this positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This is undoubtedly a beautiful property with a wonderful staff. It was exactly what we needed. Many days were spent napping, reading and dipping in our private plunge pool. However, you should know that the hotel is fairly secluded so if you want to be in the mix, consider staying in Ixtapa or Zihua. We took cabs in but sometimes you just want to walk and grab a meal. It did not take away from our experience...just worth noting.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ami H
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience; we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience, your feedback is very valuable to us.

Thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapa and we truly look forward to your return in a near future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's not cheap to visit Capella Ixtapa btwn Christmas and New Year's, but it was worth every penny. When the bellman opened the door to our room, I almost cried. Our balcony overlooking the ocean had a plunge pool and big couch, and flowers were scattered perfectly to make it extra romantic. This is the perfect place to impress a lady. The staff were incredible everywhere. Margarita helped my fiancée plan the perfect surprise for me and I can't thank all the staff enough for making it one of the most memorable trips of my life.
Take advantage of the activities! The bike ride, salsa lesson, and movie under the stars were so memorable.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Sara G
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapas as your getaway. I am delighted to know that you had a great time with us. I am also glad that you enjoyed the salsa lesson, the bike ride and the movie under the stars!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our challenge in reading the various reviews is we don't know the backgrounds or standards of the authors. After 5 days at Capella Extapa, regardless of whether your standards are a Four Seasons, Luxury Boutique Hotel, or any more modest hotel, this is an extraordinary property. The rooms are stunning, built into the side of a hill, the staff goes out of its way to assist and take an interest in you, and customize for your needs. All of this plus the experience of only 59 rooms makes Capella Ixtapa a truly wonderful location It's romantic and built around couples and not families or children in any way...which was great. Take the Margarita class with Miguel......and enjoy the food and service. Luz, our "personal assistant" called us before we arrived and then worked to make sure everything was special while we were there. And when arrived to celebrate our 32nd anniversary our bed was covered with flowers....wow!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Farewell2BL
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Appreciated Guest:

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing with us such an important celebration as your anniversary. Thank you very much for your positive feedback, we really appreciate your time. We are delighted that you had enjoyed your stay and that we created a memorable experience for you.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is hands down the most beautiful place to stay in Ixtapa. The service is impeccable, the food is delicious, and the views and rooms are to die for! We spent a week for my birthday and the staff was so sweet that on the morning of my birthday I woke up to a handmade bracelet as a gift from the hotel for my birthday! It was one of the best trips ever! We got a deal using Jetsetter. I would highly recommend checking with them on pricing because we had a $750/night room for $300/night! We even had a private pool on our balcony!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JenSamaria2014
Appreciated Guest:

Thank you very much for selecting Capella Ixtapa as your vacation destination and thank you for sharing this important celebration with us. I am indeed glad to know that you consider our service impeccable.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Eliezer Quinones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!