“A beautiful setting, but the resort appeared to be a fading beauty”
Review of Capella Ixtapa

Capella Ixtapa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The resort is very interesting, and the rooms were very nice with spectacular views, but the resort overall appeared to be falling into disrepair. The exterior needed work, and repainting. The landscaping was beautiful, but again, lacking in maintenance. Safety was a tremendous issue regarding the funicular (incline elevator), which was the only way to access rooms. Children would not be safe here. The elevators were not very clean either. Many of the lounge chairs were broken at one of the two pools. Lighting in the bathrooms in rooms was exceptionally poor.

The good. The food was excellent, although lacked somewhat in variety. You could not improve on the staff. All employees were friendly, and eager to please.

Did we enjoy ourselves? Yes. The resort was not that busy when we were there, which provided a certain amount of privacy, and never a wait to get into one of the restaurants, or to get a lounge by the pools.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a plunge pool. Very relaxing in the afternoon
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dnh3155
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Appreciated Guest:

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for visiting Capella Ixtapa and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable observations.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed our food and overall, your visit. Thank you for your compliments to the staff, I will convey the same to the team.

There are newer reviews for Capella Ixtapa

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I actually could have gone higher on this one. If a 3.5 were a possibility, I would have selected 3.5. Average isn't a fair description, but it wasn't as great as we expected. The main caveat I would throw out there is that we went in late May, which is apparently a slow time of year for them. The second caveat is that this rating is for the resort and the location generally. Third, I can sit around for a few days, but get restless with 4-5 days in a row of just sitting by the pool.

To start, the excellent stuff: We loved the actual resort, meaning the rooms, the amenities, the building. The plunge pool with each room was awesome, making this a pretty unique hotel. The room was great. The bed was comfortable. The AC was always pumping, providing a break from the heat and humidity. Aside from all the steps/stairs, it was cool that it was built into a cliff. The counterpoint to this feature is that there isn't a beach in front of the resort. Also, they gave us a free upgrade a few days into our trip. It seems like they are happy to give you an upgrade if they have the space.

A VEGETARIAN MENU. My wife has been a vegetarian since childhood. It is pretty rare to find a hotel as accommodating as this one. They actually had a vegetarian menu with a good selection of items. Even better, the prices reflected the fact that there wasn't meat in the item. Most vegetarian items cost less than the drinks. And the vegetarian items were really good.

The view was pretty great. We have definitely seen better in the Caribbean and elsewhere, but it was pretty. Pretty standard view for the Pacific Coast. One day we saw a couple dolphins jumping around out of the water out in front of the hotel, which was fun to see. Apparently whales swim out front sometimes as well.

A personal concierge. They give guests personal concierges. This is a pretty sweet perk. We actually didn't use ours much, but he came through with the upgrade. On the other hand, I wanted to surf down there (which their website includes as an activity), and no one I asked, including the concierges, seemed knowledgeable about the activity.

The pool was pretty small. If the hotel was at capacity, I think it would be pretty tough to find a spot. All the spots, however, had great lounges and umbrellas.

The food was pretty good. I already touched on the vegetarian menu. The bad thing I didn't mention yet was that it didn't seem like the entire hotel staff was aware of it. After being promised that we could order off of it at any restaurant, at least 2 servers seemed ignorant of its existence when asked. The fish market was pretty cool. I am not a big fish eater, but we ate there twice and really enjoyed it. We also ate at the Terrace Bar a couple times. The tapas and drinks there were great. Food prices were pretty high. As an example, while 2 could probably eat breakfast for under $40, we generally found our bill to be $50-60. At those prices, I would expect to be able to have a mimosa or Bloody Mary with breakfast.

We weren't generally that impressed with the drinks. They simply weren't consistent. One drink would be too strong, and the next would taste like it didn't have any alcohol in it. Also, they ran out of items on the menu like beers and even pina colada mix. You ran out of pina colada mix at a beach resort? Really? It reminded me of the drinks you might get at an all-inclusive resort, where they aren't the best. But if you are paying $13 for a drink, I expect it to be a darn good drink.

Weather: At the time we were there, it was simply too hot and humid. Even with the umbrellas and the shade, it got hot, sticky, and gross fast. At one point, my wife was contemplating staying in the room rather than going outside, and she loves the beach and the ocean or just reading poolside.

There wasn't much to do. They have a cooking class that came highly recommended, but we passed on it because (1) it was right in the middle of the day and (2) it seemed pricey. You could take a trip to Ixtapa Island, but the reviews on that seemed pretty mixed. Playa Linda was a relatively short walk or bike ride away, but it wasn't all that Linda (beautiful). It was a pretty long beach, which was good if you wanted to take a stroll on the beach as the resort doesn't have a beach. Their was a little crocodile reserve down by the beach, which was pretty cool but smelled pretty bad. Their website advertises surfing as an option, but the hotel seemed pretty ignorant of the activity.

The resort was also pretty isolated. They have bikes you can use. On bike, you can get to town in about 20 minutes. Otherwise, it is a $10 cab ride in to town.

In the end, Cabo is easier, closer, and has more to do. I think it is probably also cheaper. We don't often vacation in the same spots, and we won't go back to Ixtapa. If you are good with sitting around, tanning, reading, whatever, this could be a great place for you, but it wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. In reality, I don't think there is a bad room in the place.
5  Thank Kevin C

Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. I have noted your overall feedback, I am grateful for your comments on areas where we can improve.
I am indeed glad that you enjoyed the resort. Chef Miguel was happy to create a vegetarian menu for your wife. How great that you saw a couple dolphins jumping out of the water, that is a fun experience.

Thank you very much for your visit and we do hope to have the possibility to host you once again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I went to Capella for a romantic and intimate honeymoon. Capella went above and beyond our expectations. The beauty of the hotel and surrounding area is incredible. The room was lovely and the personal pool was fantastic. We loved the staff. Everyone was friendly, helpful and nice. We did the cooking experience with the chef and had an amazing day. We got a real taste for traditional local Mexican markets and food preparation. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a more private and romantic trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kara K

Appreciated guest:

Thank you for your visit to Capella Ixtapa, we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. I want to take this opportunity to thank as well, for sharing such an important celebration as you honeymoon.

I am pleased to know you had a memorable experience and took advantage of the cooking class with the Chef.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Capella Ixtapa for our annual anniversary vacation. To repeat almost any review you will ever read regarding Capella Ixtapa, the scenery, views, food, and service are second to none.

Flying into Zihuatanejo (non-stop from Houston) is a complete breeze and you can be at the hotel from the tarmac within about 30 minutes (compared to more crowded destinations like Cabo, Cancun, etc.).

As the title of this review suggests, this resort is designed to accomplish one main task - ensure a relaxing and serene stay. With that being said, there isn't a whole lot to do at the resort that doesn't fall within that construct. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but just a point of consideration for those who prefer to mix in some adventure, shopping, sight-seeing, etc.)

The "front-line" service staff at the resort is fantastic. Special acknowledgements are due for our Personal Assistant, Luz, who assisted us our entire stay with a warm smile and unparalleled service. Additionally, Miguel at the Terrace Bar served up great drinks, conversation, and was genuinely engaging.

The "behind-the-scenes" staff including the housekeepers could use some improvement. We often found room-service trays, plates, etc. just set in the hallway or in the bushes by our door for [presumably] another staff-member to collect (sometimes hours or days after the food was consumed!). Another time, we had to request our room be attended-to by the housekeepers as it was well into the afternoon and had not been cleaned / restocked. Additionally there were some maintenance concerns including a toilet-leak in our room (which was never resolved) and the hotel itself, be it impressive, showed visible signs of wear and tear.

The food at the resort was fantastic. The chefs flawlessly prepared authentic, gourmet, and unique items which my wife and I absolutely loved. As some reviewers have pointed out, the prices can be a bit steep, but like most things, you get what you pay for and the quality of the food is undeniable at Capella Ixtapa.

Our stay caught the front-side of the "rainy season". Every single day was met with pouring rain. We were told that this year's rain (2014) started about a month early, so I highly recommend that any prospective travelers do their research to avoid such an occurrence as it can definitely hinder your trip.

I would definitely recommend this resort to a couple looking for a romantic getaway. We stayed 5 days and probably could have sufficed with a long 3-4 day weekend. We hope to return one day in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room with an uncovered infinity pool / sunny terrace. Additionally, we...
3  Thank Blake S
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your anniversary. I am pleased that you had a wonderful experience with us and that the view, the food and service created a positive impression. I really appreciate your recognition of the staff, I will make sure to convey the same to them.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable observations; I will look into each of these items personally.

Thank you for this positive review.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for a few days to finish off our honeymoon. A hotel like this would cost 2-3x as much in the US. Outstanding everything from location to service to food quality. The food did seem a tad pricey, but that is to be expected with a destination hotel. Overall, I would highly recommend with no reservations. Excellent spot.

2  Thank Luke W

Appreciated guest:

Thank you very much for selecting Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your honeymoon.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is just 20 min away from the nearest airport (ZIH). There are plenty of cabs at the airport to take you to Capella for about $40. Once you enter the hotel grounds you are treated like royality from when you arrive until you leave. The hotel is built into the side cliff that faces the ocean. No matter where you are in the hotel you can hear the sound of the ocean crashing onto the rocks below. That sound is a constant whether you are at the swimming pool, eating breakfast, sleeping, walking around the hotel. All the rooms have sliding doors that open directly to the ocean. Waking up to the perfect warm (Spring) weather, the music of the ocean every morning is breathtakingly perfect. The staff friendly, accommodating, and well trained. The rooms are kept clean, free of bugs, and beds are made during the morning and turned down for the night. The bathrooms are good sized too with views the ocean when showering as well. The food is relevant and refreshingly Mexican. Most of the dishes on the menu (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are Mexican dishes with a twist of modern culinary techniques. An delicious a la cart breakfast is included in the price of the rooms. Lunch is best enjoyed at pool side, underneath an umbrella, with a coconut filled with coconut water and vodka!!!! The waiters are very attentive and friendly. They are all very well trained and will treat you like royalty throughout your stay. On one occasion we left some expensive sunglass at poolside and the next morning our poolside waiter (Ruben), informed us that he found the sunglasses and took them to front office. Some of the best, friendliest, reliable, and always helpful staff you will find in all of Mexico. If you do venture out to the local town of Zihuatanejo, you simple to to the front of the hotel and jump on a bus that takes directly into the town for approximately .80 cents (dollars)!!! The same bus can take you back and drop you off in front of the hotel. A cab ride will cost you approximately $20 (each way). Many people will complain that the hotel does not have access to a sandy beach, but for those of us who enjoy the constant harmony of water crashing throughout the hotel, this place is simply perfect. Cheers.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the ocean so they are all great!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jesse40
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Appreciated guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay at Capella Ixtapa. Your feedback is very valuable for us. I am glad to know that you had a memorable experience.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Dear Capella, thank you for the room upgrade, to my deluxe suite with infinity pool clinging onto the edge of a cliff, facing the Pacific Ocean. The dramatic rock formations on the horizon took my breath away. I think I cried when I first saw you. My love affair with Mexico now extends to Ixtapa Zihuatenejo & my stay at Capella confirms my love of the genuine Mexican hospitality. Thank you Capella for the un intrusive yet attentive service. I appreciated being left to just hang out in that suite in my private pool with that incredible view. But you were always there when I needed you, and took care of all my needs with your gracious & prompt service. The massage at your spa was heavenly and just the ticket to help me unwind & get my holiday underway. I feel rejuvenated & inspired. Besos xx

Room Tip: Higher floor rims are more private and offer more sun all day.
2  Thank nooshkin

Appreciated guest:

Thank you for your visit to Capella Ixtapa, we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience during your stay with us.

Eliezer Quinones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Azul Ixtapa Grand Spa & Convention Center

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!