“What would you do?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Vancouver, Canada
“What would you do?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Currently here at Las Brisas and was enjoying our stay, but tonight we had a major incident- the elevator platform from the beach restaurant was shut down for repairs without notification and no one informed us prior, and as my wife was on crutches and using a wheelchair this was a major problem and after an hour trying with security to get the elevator restarted and no solution offered, she was obligated to crutch painfully for 15 minutes including 100 feet of stairs, to regain the hotel elevators. Later, when I complained to the front desk manager, he indicated I should return in the morning to register a complaint. I found this to be unsatisfactory and asked him to contact the general manager. Finally after another hour of discussions, I have an appointment with the accommodations manager.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darrell M
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience you had with the beach elevator which was not in service yesterday night. We have taken corrective measure so this situation does not happen again.

Please accept our sincere apology.

The Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Lethbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is the seventh all-inclusive resort I've reviewed for TripAdvisor over the last five years and it's by far the most difficult one to write about. There's much to love about Las Brisas but there are also a few things that could be deal breakers for some folks - you know the type I'm talking about, you've read their reviews - and then there's a laundry list of tiny things that are just annoying enough to drive some people (not me, but some) up the wall. So in the interest of fairness and of giving picky people the full scoop, I'm going to outline what I liked, didn't like and what could have been so much better.

THE GOOD

There is a lot good about Las Brisas, so much that it's hard to know where to start. The location is excellent - first off the bus from the airport, a private beach, nestled into the side of a hill with ocean views from every room. If you appreciate architecture, Las Brisas is a treasure trove. Its designed for maximum functionality (cross breeze in the lobby lounge, for instance) but it's also just plain cool to look at. Landscaping is incorporated into the effect to make the resort seem like you're forever discovering something new. The overall size of the resort is deceptive - it's actually somehow smaller and larger than it seems. It's hard to describe unless you've seen it for yourself.

The food is the best I've encountered at an all-inclusive. Breakfast is a typical Mexican buffet (no bacon but you can order it), with lunch and dinner a la carte except for a couple of theme days when they're buffet. Selection isn't the greatest but the quality of the food makes up for it. I highly recommend the cheeseburgers for lunch! The a la cartes are very good, with great ambience (that architecture thing again) and service in general is excellent. The lobby level lounge is a great place to relax after a busy day and feel the ocean breeze as you catch up with fellow travellers.

The pools (one family, one adult only) are small but well situated for sun and right beside the lunch restaurant. Again, architecture is great. The beach is beautiful with more than enough palapas and a great beach snack bar. Las Brisas has good quality booze, with a large selection of beers (served bottled in ice buckets, which is FANTASTIC). There is beach and poolside service as well.

An unexpected plus was the fact security keeps track of people leaving the resort, taking down cab numbers and room numbers and generally making sure they have some idea of where people are at any given time. I've never seen that at a resort before.

THE BAD

Two things really stood out to me as deal-breakers, especially for certain people. For my wife and me, the bed was absolutely awful, far and away the hardest I've ever encountered. I know that beds in Mexico are generally hard and I've never had a problem before, but we both suffered considerable back pain even after adding two quilts to the mattress. That said, some friends we made at the resort said they didn't mind it at all, so I guess it's personal preference. In any case, be forewarned.

Second, Las Brisas is NOT for those with mobility issues. The amount of stairs can be staggering, and they're not for the faint of heart. Even mild arthritis could be a major obstacle here. The ramps are at extremely steep angles with deep switchbacks - we met a couple who both had mobility issues (one was in a wheelchair) and they said it was extremely difficult to get around. The wheelchair had to be wheeled through the kitchen to get up from the buffet level to the main floor. Las Brisas is also located at the top of a very steep hill, which means unless you're in good shape, you're taking a taxi to and from town every time you go. Again, it didn't affect us but it could certainly affect others.

THE NIGGLY

If you read my other reviews, you'll see I'm pretty easy going, and I want to stress that what I'm about to complain about DID NOT ruin our vacation. But I also want to make sure you have all the information before you book. There are a lot of little things about Las Brisas that might ruin the holiday of particularly picky TripAdvisor users.

First and foremost, the language barrier is the worst I've ever encountered in Mexico. I understand that it's to be expected in Mexico but we ran into far too many situations where we got either blank stares or total misunderstanding. Brush up on your Spanish!

Second, as others have pointed out, signing for everything can be a real pain because service is often quite slow. When you want to leave, you want to leave - you don't want to wait ten minutes for someone to bring you a bill that you're not even paying for, especially when it's just a single drink. By Day 7, it was getting on my nerves.

Third, the pools, while nice, are always covered in floating detritus from the surrounding foliage. Don't get me wrong, the landscaping is gorgeous, but the down side is the constant floating seed pods, leaves, flowers, etc. Again, it didn't bother me but I could see how it might bother others.

Finally, the maid service was often poorly timed, so that we would get back to our room at 5 p.m., looking to shower, nap and/or get ready for dinner, only to find that the room was being serviced. What bugged me most was that the hotel couldn't have been at more than 30 per cent capacity - they couldn't have scheduled it better? On top of that, at least half the people we met had to have their keys re-coded at least once during their stay.

All that said, my wife and I, and the dozen new friends we made during our stay, all had a fabulous time. Would I stay here again? Probably not, because ultimately I didn't feel it was worth the extra money.

Room Tip: They're ALL good!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Snerro
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the review related to your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We have taken due note of your comments and rest assured that we will take them into consideration in order this not happens again in the future.

It is very important for us to receive the feedback of our guests to measure the quality in service we are providing in order to achieve the continuous improvement in the operation of the hotel and to make our guests’ stay pleasant and comfortable.

We are very sorry if in this occasion, we did not lived up to your expectations but look forward to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and good will towards Las Brisas Ixtapa in the not too distant future.

winnipeg canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just returned yet again from the irresistible Las Brisas and once again feel the need to share our experience. We were grateful to be able to return again to Paradise and the proximity to perfection. I do feel repetitive every year but it needs to be said that this is a very special place and worthy of repeat compliments. This year Air Canada vacations was timely, efficient and rewarded returning customers with discounts. All of this is appreciated.

As we expected, the all inclusive condition was changed so that the al a carte restaurants were only available to us for 3 nights of each week of our stay. Those restaurants continue to be first class but the buffets offered on the other nights need some reconsideration. They were boring, bland and disappointing although they went to a great deal of trouble to make the theme nights colourful and entertaining. Theme events are not what we like so that effort was lost on us. It needs to be said that taking up the beach for these events involves a whole day of difficult preparation for the staff and makes the beach rather unpleasant all day for guests.

We continue to find the staff welcoming, respectful and engaging. Each year they recognize us and welcome us home. That expression is not lost on us and we feel the same about all of them. We found the management more interested in our thoughts and this was a welcome change.

As always, the beach and the pool are exquisite; the sunsets magnificent and the weather perfection. The resort suffered severe damage by a hurricane last September and still it was up to it's standard for our visit last week. One would not even suspect that the beach had been decimated as we were told it had been.

The free WIFI in our room was appreciated, the turn down service nightly was appreciated and although all of the rooms we have had over our many visits, are wonderful, we truly enjoyed the mini suite on the 22 floor which afforded us a splendid view and some extra space to spread out.

Thank you again Las Brisas, for the highlight of our winter.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fabulous. We do prefer non smoking and high than the 14th floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank meswinnipeg
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing with us the kind review concerning your recent visit at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are very pleased to know that you are repeat guests and once again your experience was great. One of our priorities is to exceed the expectations of our guests and rest assured that we will continue focusing our efforts to comply with our objective to make your future stays enjoyable and comfortable.

Look forward to your return at your home away from home….Las Brisas Ixtapa !.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was our first trip to Ixtapa and we chose to stay at the Las Brisas hotel based on the reviews of other travellers. We loved everything about Las Brisas and Ixtapa. We met some wonderful people there - many of them had been vacationing at this hotel for years.

The hotel was great, the staff was very accommodating and courteous, the room was wonderful. All of the rooms have ocean views and balconies - the views are stunning! We stayed in a junior suite and it was absolutely lovely.

We booked an all inclusive vacation package. We soon found out after our arrival that there had been some changes made to the all inclusive package. However, since this was only our second experience with all inclusive vacations we weren't too concerned. For the seven days that we were there we were given three dinner vouchers for any of the three "a la carte" restaurants. We ate at Las Brisas II and Portofino and both were excellent! For the remainder of the meals we ate at the buffet and we quite enjoyed them. There was always a variety of food.

This hotel has its own private beach. We enjoyed the beach and the ocean. The waves were a little stronger towards the end of our stay, but were still fun. There was also a very large pool area iwith four pools (lap pool, two adult pools and one children's pool). There were plenty of chairs (in sun or shade) on the beach and at the pools.

The hotel has been participating in the protection of sea turtles. The eggs are collected by hotel staff at night and carefully placed in protected sand boxes. The sand boxes are divided and marked with dates. Once the baby sea turtles hatch they are very carefully collected (by trained staff) and then released onto the sand to make their way to the ocean. We were fortunate enough to witness this event.

When we went to Ixtapa or Zihuatenajo we always walked to the main street and then took the local bus to either town (6 pesos to Ixtapa and 9 pesos to Zihuatenajo). It was a bit of a walk (downhill going and uphill reutrning); however, we enjoyed the exercise. There were always cabs available at the hotel (60 pesos to Ixtapa and 90 pesos to Zihuatenajo).

We found our service was always excellent! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even though we were using the all inclusive option, we were still asked to "sign off" on all the meal/beverage services. We were a little confused about this at first and then realized that not all of the other guests were using the all inclusive option. We did not have to wear a wristband which was great. Tipping was the only other cost we had to incur and we encourage it. The staff work hard and really try to make everyone's stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our junior suite, but I think all of the rooms are quite lovely.
1 Thank Christigwest
Dear Guest:
We appreciate very much the nice and detailed review of your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.
It is much rewarding to know you enjoyed the installations, courteous and friendly staff as well as the variety of food. Your comments encourage us to keep looking for the continuous improvement to exceed our guests’ expectations.
We sincerely hope you come back soon to make your stay enjoyable and memorable one.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We visited Las Brisas twice over 20 years ago and fell in love with the hotel, the staff, the beach and the ocean. At that time it was owned by the Westin Hotel chain so when it was taken over by Las Brisas chain we were reticent to go back. Did a last minute deal two weeks ago and am so thankful that we went back. This place is Paradise. You couldn't ask for anything more. The beach is spectacular, the ocean warm and fun to swim in, the rooms are still beautiful and have the most amazing view that is hard to beat and the staff are exceptional. The weather of course is perfect!! The guests staying at the resort were all friendly and well behaved and interesting to talk to. No wild partying just everyone enjoying themselves and being respectful of others. The breakfast is scrumptious, always good and fresh things to eat and the lunch on the beach was always tasty. Service on the beach was great and never waited long for anything. We didn't attend any theme dinners as read in the reviews to stay clear of them, so instead booked the 3 restaurants for the all inclusive and then booked them again and paid for dinner the second time. Didn't have to pay for drinks though and found paying for the extra dinners very reasonable. Also ate at Las Brisas 11 a la carte which was very good. I liked signing a chit for everything as that gave me the opportunity to leave a decent tip directly to the waiter who served me as I would take some dollars with me where ever I went everyday for that purpose. We will definitely start going back again every year and look forward to the wonderful week of Paradise for many years to come. Also thoroughly enjoyed watching the turtles release program.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 985Marilyn52
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing with us the nice review of your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are glad to know that you returned to this hotel after 20 years and that you were grateful to do so as you had a wonderful week in Paradise, enjoying the food, services, installations, and the weather.

Rest assured that we will maintain this property as beautiful as ever; provide exquisite meals and personalized attention from our staff to attract guests like you to keep you coming to visit us year after year..

Hope to have the privilege of welcoming you again at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We looked over several Trip Advisor reviews and settled on Las Brisas for our trip Feb 16 to 23 based on the photos and comments about this property in Ixtapa. Having not been in this area of Mexico we were also attracted to the area since it's in the vicinity of Ixtapa and Zihua for day trips and other sightseeing opportunities.

I would like to first address one of the common comment themes by saying this is an older property with fantastic architectural design. Yes, it is older but it is in excellent repair. Think of this resort as having the same flavour as the Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta - it's situated in a remarkable location with views that are hard to beat, and because it is so well-designed and maintained, it achieves elegance despite its age. If you don't like the Banff Springs Hotel or the Jasper Park Lodge, you may not like this resort. Any Mexican we spoke with expressed a real sense of pride when talking about Las Brisas, We really got the impression that this resort is the jewel in the crown of Ixtapa.

Las Brisas property is absolutely immense. We took a photo from the plane when we left - and couldn't believe the size of it compared to any other property we could see by air in Ixtapa. There is a lot of walking because of its size. There are a lot of stairs because it's on the side of a steep hill - which affords every room and every public area with sweeping views of the open bay. So all this in mind, we were in awe of the property.

Another common comment is about the food, specifically, the AI option. We did opt for the AI because, not having been to the area we felt this would be a safe "homebase" scenario for us. Some folks - in fact - a LOT of folks - return here decade after decade and they have expressed some changes to the food options that they don't care for; like not having the a la carte options for everyday of their stay. In my previous AI experiences in Riviera Maya and the Dominican Republic, I can tell you that is not common - to have a la cartes each night. For a 7-night stay it is the rule (in my experience) that 3 a la carte reservations are allowed. So I cannot speak to what happened in the past, but I was happy to receive the sittings we were allowed.

Also about the food - and now pertaining to the "add-ons" - we didn't feel the need to eat rib-eye steaks or lobster in Mexico - so we didn't miss that. We get all the Alberta beef we want in Calgary, and think about it... lobster in Mexico... that's not a local product so they need to ship that in. We enjoyed the fish dishes (Las Brisas kitchens cooked their seafood to the perfect degree, unlike some we ate in town that was far overcooked) and opted to experience other Mexican dishes every night. We went out to several other eateries around the location including one very high-end place and the food at Las Brisas is BETTER in our opinion. And for cost, they all costed about the same.

Many will complain that the table-side caesar salad is not included in the AI. This is true in Portofino. However, we ordered it anyhow to see what the big deal was. It was DELICIOUS. And it cost us around $10CDN to order it. (They don't charge you the whole menu price, they charge you half of the menu price) Big deal. I don't understand why they charge extra for 12 leaves of romaine lettuce but that is their prerogative to charge for it. They do NOT charge for the table-side preparation of the lox... which somehow "costs" more on their menu... and we enjoyed that too... so just know what to expect, I guess :)

We took the "combo" town and city excursion as our Air Canada rep Alex recommended it ($70 per person) and we reflected halfway through it that this is a deal and a half. Ask Alex about it, he's on the money for what to expect. The lunch was enormous and excellent.

Mexicans try so hard to please and are all very friendly. They make - as a minimum wage - the equivalent of $8CDN a day (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is from several sources) so please tip them. We left $20Pesos a day on our pillow in the morning and we tipped between 10-25% for our food and drinks even though this is "included" in the AI. When we checked out our bill for the week for tips alone was $100CDN. For us, this was just fine. For the staff this is a big deal. NOTE: if you want to sign your tips to your room you need to register a credit card when you check in... they may not tell you this!

We had trouble getting WIFI in our room so we called the first day and their IT guy came to the room and fixed that up. We had 5 bars on our terrace... so we could check emails in the hammock :)

I will leave my review here as complete since other reviewers have covered anything else I can think of - to the extent that we trusted them (with some grains of salt) and we were very pleased. We're already going to plan for this hotel again next year and we may or may not do the AI due only to the fact the outlying towns have more than enough easily-obtainable meals for roughly the same pesos. Paying for our meals at Las Brisas by choice would work for us just fine.

Thank you, fellow Trip Advisors!

Toni and Adrian/Calgary, Alberta

Room Tip: Definitely anything above the 14th floor unless you don't mind peering through some trees to see...
1 Thank ModineToo
Dear Guest:

What a nice and detailed review about your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Your comments are very valuable for those readers who have not decided yet where to go or stay. We hope your wonderful experience convince them to choose Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Thank you for planning in coming back. We will be delightful to make your next stay more pleasant and unforgettable one.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Came back to paradise (Las Brisas) with friends for a second time. This place is impeccable. Every day was a perfect day. The hotel is superb and immaculate. The views from all rooms are breathtaking. Sunsets on the ocean every night. Perfect intimacy on every balcony. The quietness of the resort... I cannot rave too much about this place.

The staff is so nice and courteous. The food is to die for. The service absolutely amazing!

People may say that the resort is a bit old from the architecture. True, but it is pristine! We loved eery inch of it. The pools were great. The beach was divine.

One of the best aspects was that the staff was very attentive and discete. We could lounge all day without being bothered by anyone for activities, drinks, etc.

I cannot express how much we enjoyed this hotel, again. I will definitely return! Furthermore, we have made a point to try other Las Brisas locations!

Room Tip: All rooms are superb with an amazing ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank dlandr2
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest:

We have no words to express our gratitude for such a nice review.

Your second stay with us and you enjoyed both!!! What can we say, we feel very motivated to keep doing our best efforts in making our guests’ unique happy experiences to remember.

Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Las Brisas Ixtapa, it will be our pleasure to meet you personally.