“Wonderful Vacation!”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“Wonderful Vacation!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

What a great hotel! The staff were very nice. Rooms very nice and clean (love the hammock and ocean view with all rooms). The grounds were incredible. Pools quiet and wonderful (even with families - no spring breakers), private sand beach with again great staff. Las Brisas II restaurant had wonderful food and the most incredible view. Take advantage of the nature walk and learn about plants and animals. We plan to return!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DivaDebi
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest:

We appreciate the review of your recent stay at las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are happy to know you had a wonderful vacation and are planning to return.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back at Las Brisas Ixtapa in a near future.

The Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Las Brisas for a week in the middle of February. We had an amazing time here and absolutely fell in love with Zihuatanejo! We loved this area of Mexico. The weather was unbelievable too, hot and sunny every day.

Pros:
-The beach is amazing! It is private, had super soft sand and we had no problem finding a palapa whenever we came down (even in the afternoon)
-Amazing views from the balcony! We were on the 15th floor and enjoyed amazing sunsets.
We personally had no problems accessing the wifi from our room
Throughly enjoyed the a la carte restaurants. Our favourites were Las Brisas II and Portofino. Las Brisas II has an amazing view, wonderful service and the food was delicious. The food at Portofino was amazing. I loved the mushroom risotto.
We enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the resort. There was no booming music just lots of peace and quiet. It is the perfect resort if you enjoy relaxing, but maybe not if you want lots of activities or nightlife.
Enjoyed not wearing wristbands
We went with the AI plan. Even though there were a number of things on the menu that weren’t included we never felt limited on choice. We enjoyed our lunches at the Solorium restaurant.
-The front desk staff were helpful. We had no problems exchanging larger pesos into smaller ones for tips.
-We enjoyed seeing the release of the turtles

There were a couple of things we didn’t enjoy:

-Waiting around to sign the bill was annoying
-Our mattress was very hard not just firm but hard even after they put the quilt toppers on it. We have done lots of traveling and stayed at many different types of accommodation and this was the hardest bed we’ve ever slept on. It would be wonderful if the resort would purchase some newer mattresses.

-As far as the stairs go, yes there are a lot of stairs, did it bother us? No. The resort is located on the side of a hill so, there are going to be a lot of stairs. But because of this, it has AMAZING VIEWS and to me that is worth all the stairs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest:

We were very pleased to read the kind review about your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We feel very motivated when our guests enjoy our services, food and facilities, this encourages us to continue looking for a continuous improvement.

In reference to the mattresses, a change will be considered in a future refurbishing program.

Thank you for your preference towards Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Everything was overpriced, and service was non-existent (I had to chase a waiter around in the pool area so I can pay for our drinks). the food was just OK, drinks were expensive and watered down, and the POOLS WERE DIRTY - greasy slime on top collecting with dirt and leaves.

THE POOL/BEACH CHAIRS WERE CHEAP PLASTIC AND SO UNCOMFORTABLE. For a nice hotel and the price they charge, I expect a bit more.

COULD NOT SWIM IN THE OCEAN. Forget about swimming in the ocean. The entire time we were there, THE SURF AND UNDERTOW WAS VERY TREACHEROUS, even for strong swimmers.

Helpful Hints: CHECK THE MINI BAR AGAINST CHECKLIST ONCE YOU GET IN, and let them know right away if there’s anything missing.

Last, but certainly not least, they make and keep a copy of a blank credit card receipt for incidentals using one of those old carbon receipts. Make sure they return it to you upon check out (I had to ask for mine, and she pretended to not know what I was talking about). and MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE YOU LEAVE

the only reason I gave this place an extra star is because of the spectacular view and the hammock in my balcony.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dabugs
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest:

We sincerely appreciate your comments in reference to your stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa and are very sorry for not meeting your expectations.

Rest assured that we will focus our efforts to improve our services and facilities, hoping to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and goodwill in the not too distant future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent a week in February and really enjoyed the hotel. Spectacular views, virtually private beach (no sales people), comfortable rooms. the food was really good, sometimes great. We really enjoyed eating at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach at sunset. Took the walking tour around the property with a naturalist who spoke about the plants and birds and had the front desk notify us when newly hatched turtles were being released on the beach. The staff was friendly and helpful though sometimes our lack of Spanish caused some confusion. The weather was hot and sunny, the beach amazing, always enough chairs and shade if you wanted it. Great food and drink service right to your chair. The water was warm but the waves could occasionally knock you over if not careful. Lots of stairs if you want exercise but there are elevators. Quaint shopping in neighboring Zihuatenajuo. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have unobstructed view of the sea. We liked 16th floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Canadiantraveler2014
Dear Guest:

We were pleased to read the review about your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are happy to know you enjoyed our services, installations, food and the ecological tour. It will be our pleasure to have you repeat this experience again in the near future.

Hope to see you soon in sunny Ixtapa.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

There are still several good things about this resort. The staff, the view, the beach, the turtles, the amazing sunsets. The list of the good can keep going, but the bad is starting to bring it down fast. You will not find a place with better staff. We have been here 6 times in the past 5 years. Every year we have brought more and more people with us and people were always impressed with the resort .....until now. The staff right now is the main reason I would consider going back. They have changed the meal plan so much now that we will probably not be going back. I do not mind the signing of the cheque. Worth it to me to not have to wear a bracelet. The problem I have with it is the VERY limited selections now. And all the extra charges. We have been traveling for several years, several time a year and have stayed at at least 35 different places. This is the ONLY one I have ever seen that now charges extra for duck, beef, caeser salad. Usually there is an extra charge for lobster and lamb but that's it! We planned on this being our "go to" resort at least once a year. Realistically probably no longer going to do that. The a la cartes with wonderful menus were a big draw for us, so the new changes have made us reconsider. With Las Brisas you are already paying a premium price over other resorts in the area. So to be charged extra for duck, shrimp or beef just does not seem justified. For now we will not be rebooking here unless the plan and the menus go back to the level that they were. I did speak to the new food manager there and he had told me that now quality was better, we however did not find that. We have never had a tough gristly steak there until this year. We still truly adore staff here and that's what makes it a hard decision to pass on this resort. We will wait it out a bit and see if things change back before we book our trip this year, but sadly unless the plan and menus go back to the way they were will will probably not go back

Room Tip: All rooms have beautiful views. Request to not be right above lobby bar!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlbertaGirl
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your taking the time to share with us your nice review about your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are very pleased to know that this is your 6th visit to our resort. We hope you and your friends keep coming for many years to come to make your future stays enjoyable and memorable ones.

Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is our sixth trip to las brissas and as we have come to expect everything was perfect. The staff, everyone from the front desk to the bellman were absolutely wonderful. They make us feel like we are coming home every time we come back. Conchita at the front desk was always smiling and answered any questions we had. To Victor, our favorite lifeguard. Made every day at the pool wonderful. We again got to participate in releasing baby turtles, it is an amazing experience. The new view from the pool area is breathtaking! The housekeeping staff picked up after us everyday and often left us cute towel animals and fresh flowers. Our waiter, was always spot on getting us whatever we needed. We stay two weeks and it is always bittersweet to leave "our las brissas family" to return home to minnesota. Thank you again to the staff for making our vacation truly two weeks in paradise!
Hollie & Katie

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view with a hammock and chairs, flowering plants. I don't think we ever...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

We are very happy to know this was your 6th stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Thank you so much for your loyalty and preference. We would like you to continue coming back to make your future stay an unforgettable and pleasant experience.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my first stay at the Las Brisas Ixtapa (March 8 -15th) and maybe my last - still not sure if I would go back. Booked the AI package with WestJet Vacations. I have wanted to stay at this Hotel for the last 5 years and finally found a good flight/price so booked the annual winter trip to Ixtapa.

The Good: I went for the architecture and the scenery and this place does not disappoint. Stunning views of the Pacific from all the rooms. I like the Mexican feel of the resort - not another marble hotel like you would find in Vegas - this place is relaxed and comfortable. You know you're staying in Mexico - even Mexicans stay here. And everyone seems to congregate in the Lobby Bar for a drink before dinner while watching the sun pop below the horizon; to everyone's cheers. Great pools and beach area.

The breakfast buffets are wonderful, lot's of variety, salsas and an omelette station. Lunch is good at the Solarium restaurant by the pools. The a la carte restaurants are very good. I don't think anyone would have a problem with the drinks included in the AI package unless you only drink Grey Goose, Courvosier, etc. Mixed drinks were good and stronger than most resorts. The house wines were drinkable and actually not bad - but I only drank the whites.

And the staff is helpful and really make the resort. Cheers to the staff they really take good care of you.

The Bad: The bed was terrible, worst bed we have slept on in a Mexican resort. Yes I know they tend to have hard beds down there, but this was like sleeping on plywood. I didn't sleep-in on vacation because it was a joy to get out of bed in the morning.

The evening buffets were disappointing. I can't see how a hotel with wonderful restaurants and breakfast buffets can't pull off a decent evening buffet. Buffet nights were all themed. And what would you expect to get at the Fisherman's Buffet - a couple basic salads, chips and salsa, chicken that was too dry to eat, beef you couldn't cut with a knife (not making that up) - the pork was good but it was kept moist in a rojo sauce - and the cook on the wood grill had overcooked fish to serve. Ok - they did a good job on the vegetable medley and deserts. But I can't understand the disconnect on the supper buffets.

The Ugly: This is a Hotel with a meal plan - most people are used to the AI resorts wearing a band with nothing to sign. The meal plan in the a la carte's is clearly marked with items that will cost you more than your plan. And so you know - lobster & shrimp aren't on the plan. And duck and beef cuts (filets and ribeyes) aren't on the plan either. So your choices are chicken, fish or pasta. Now I'm from Alberta - we eat lot's of beef and it's hard to find good fish here so I didn't mind, but I imagine this will irk some people. (I can't tell you how the package red wines are because I ate fish.)

And signing the cheque - it is inconvenient because you always need to plan your departure. You might not see your server at the pool for 20 minutes and then 20 minutes before you get the bill. So you just can't decide to leave - really, anywhere at the resort. It takes a couple days to figure out how to plan your departures. Around the pool 30 minutes is a good bet to get your bill. In the restaurants (and buffets) and bars plan on 15.

This was my 5th stay at a Mexican resort and sure enough Friday my wife and I got sick. We hadn't eaten off the resort since Tuesday (try Lety's in Zihua for coconut shrimp amazing) and stick to beer for a beverage because we don't want the ice. So sure enough this was the trip it finally happened - and for the flight home to boot.

P.S. The resort was dead quiet when we were there. 1 in 20 chairs filled around the pool. Maybe 1 in 30 at the beach. Very quiet. The a la cartes were empty. I'm used to these being full and often difficult to get in during a weeks stay. So really we had the place to ourselves.

I guess I had too many expectations about this place. It's beautiful and is the premier hotel in the Ixtapa area. Just too many bumps that you wouldn't expect for a high end hotel that's been in business for this many years.

For my next visit to Ixtapa I'm going to try the Sunscape Dorado. Went for a tour of the Dorado when we walked to Ixtapa. I wanted to check it out because It was a toss up between the Las Brisas and the Dorado when we booked (and it was $600 cheaper for 2 at the Dorado). I chose the LB because of the location, the design and wanted a quieter holiday. But I think I'll book in the SD next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mikefromtown
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing with us your kind review related to your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We have taken note of your evening buffets comments and rest assured that our Executive Chef will take immediate action to improve them in order to satisfy the palate of our guests.

Look forward to have the opportunity to regain your confidence in Las Brisas Ixtapa in the future.