“Fantastic Experience”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
San Antonio, Texas USA
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We just got back from a simply fantastic stay at Las Brisas Hotel in Ixtapa. We can not say enough about the service we received from every single person at this hotel. From the men who welcomed us at the entrance and also called for taxis when we needed one, to the check-in personnel, to the waiters at all the restaurants and finally but not least to the cleaning maids. The food was outstanding, the room was very clean with fantastic views. The bed was firm but very comfortable. About the only negative thing I can think of would be a noisy ceiling fan!
The hotel is not on the main street where all the other hotels are located so we took a taxi everywhere we went. The highest fare would be to Zihua which was 60 pesos, about $4.80 one way. Everytime you take a taxi the driver and/or the hotel personnel will tell you exactly how much the fare will be. They have a system of no fare meter just a set fare to every location you wish to go to. There also are micro buses which travel up and down the main road through Ixtapa and onto Zihua and I believe they are about 35 cents. But you have a bit of a walk from the hotel to where the buses run. Also the hotel is not your typical Cancun type of hotel. You won't find a listing of activities at the hotel such as volley ball, bingo etc as you find at other hotels. We did attend a Mexican Fiesta at the Hotel Barcelo and we noticed that at this hotel they had a listing of activities. So if that is what you are looking for, then don't stay at Las Brisas. This hotel is more for relaxation and quiet romantic evenings. We were there in June and there may be more activities during the busy season of Oct-Dec.
Aside from the hotel I would highly recommend La Perla restaurant in Zihua for lunch and the Beccofino and the Villa de la Selva for dinners. The latter 2 are expensive but well worth the price.
Also unless you are a highly skilled swimmer I would not recommend swimming on the beach at the hotel. The beach faces directly into the Pacific and the waves are pretty strong with a strong undertow. Although it is great for just sitting out there under the Palapas (straw umbrellas) and either getting snacks or drinks from the snack bar and liquor bar on the beach. For beach swimming you should go to either the Playa de la Ropa or the Playa Las Gatas. The hotel does have 4 swimming pools including one for children and one just for adults. Also the beach and the pool have life guards at all times that they are open.
The market in Zihua has some unique shops and the flea market in Ixtapa has some very reasonable prices although it was pretty hot in there when we went.
Overall our experience in these towns and hotel was very memorable and I would highly recommend anyone to visit.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shiner67
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 8 July 2009
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your Fantastic Experience review related to your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We are very sorry that the noise of your ceiling fan was not reported, so our Maintenance staff fix it immediately.

It will be a pleasure for all of us, to welcome you back soon.

The Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
las vegas,nv
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Just returned from a 5 day stay at Las Brisas. Had to use 2 Alaska tickets that were due to expire and have friends who live there so off we went. I have to say we have been going all over Mexico for 20 years and work for an airline for 35 years so have pretty much seen many hotels and locales from Four seasons to Travel Lodge. I know that Mexico is not the value it once was even 5 years ago I knew you can't expect a hotel there that they rate as a 4star resort to to compare with one in the US. The more expensive boutique hotels in Mexico, maybe yes. This was a fairly good deal at about $120 US/nite. This was a former Westin and Camino Real. Open to air with the ocean breezes blowing thru. It is sprawling and austere but fits into this semi desert area. It was very dry and brown in the surrounding areas. The hotel area is irrigated so it was very green and jungle like. Pretty birds and scenery.
Fast checkin-the hotel was 20% full. We did not do the all inclusive. Room on the 17th floor right below the lobby floor. Quiet, clean, ocean view, hard beds. The little day bed had a softer mattress so I slept there sometimes. The maid didn't understand the request for another mattress pad so I put the comforter underneath and that was better. Pillows vary from a feather to lumpy fiber fill. Nice travertine throughout and in the bathroom. Hallways are dark. Service friendly and efficient. We got cold cooler water from the gym on the 17th floor . Great weather except hot and humid. Nice beach, warm water, sunburn alert. 1st nite wanted to their El Mexicano. Not open as we approached -only the Portofino. Pretty, Italian inspired but misses that mark. Red snapper highly seasoned-salty- and shrimp flambe was good. 1 margarita. You can't go wrong with shrimp in Mexico. Dessert was sour tasting Tiramisu. Sent it back. Cost-about $65US
On 2 nites we had the Lobster special at Momma Norma and Deborah-2 pound of lobster with salsa chips, garlic bread, garlic butter,2 Margaritas, delicious veggies and rice/$30US. Villa de la Selva next door to the hotel is beautiful. Food was good. Hovering service staff. Coconut ice cream exceptional!
The marina area had some restaurants and pretty boats. The bus can take you 50 cents or cab $40Pesos.
The pool area is very nice with 4 pools. It was quiet on arrival and then on the weekend about 20 more people from Mexico City arrived and it was fun trying to communicate. Cervezas all around at the pool! The open air restaurant is right there and has good guacamole. We ordered room service breakfast for US $20 the continental-big fruit plate 5 sweet rolls ,fresh squeezed OJ and big pot of coffee and fed the both of us.
We wish we had more time to explore Zihua. It was bustling with stores and great looking hotels and restaurants, brick sidewalks, beaches all surrounded by mountains. All in all a good relaxing time in a new place for us which we wanted but could have done it in Hawaii or California for the same price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katkruiser
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 8 July 2009
Dear Guest:

We sincerely apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay, and look forward to have the opportunity to host you again when your travels bring you to Ixtapa.

Cordially yours,

canada
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Kind, relaxing perfect setting to be totally yourself. A two weeks that I will keep in my best memories. Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo are magnificent playgrounds for sport, art, culture and social pleasures. A perfect place to just make the best of what time can offer. I always prefer the Pacific side of Mexico.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fanfantimo
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 19 June 2009
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your nice review very much.

We agree with you that Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo is the perfect place to come to relax and enjoy the weather, beaches, Mexican and International food, flora and fauna.

Thank you for choosing Las Brisas Ixtapa and look forward to see you soon.

Washington
Reviewed 28 May 2009

This hotel was very nice, and I have never met a friendlier staff anywhere. It was difficult to get around, however, as I had just had surgery on my ankle. I was walking on crutches, and took along a wheelchair for longer hauls. The pools are terraced, and they are a long way from the elevator. I was able to get out of the wheelchair and hobble up and down the stairs, but this would have been impossible for anyone confined to a wheelchair. There are ramps to some locations, but they are so steep, only a gorilla could maneuver them without losing the wheelchair. Other places do not even have ramps. From the adult pool, there were over 30 steps to the nearest restroom. We ate all of our meals in one restaurant, because there were long stairs to all the rest. Even the one we ate at had stairs, but one staff member showed us a long corridor on the 17th floor that we could use to reach the restaurant. It was an "employee only" area, but they let us use it, as there was no other access for us.
If it were not for the wheelchair issue, the hotel would have been very nice. There is an assortment of restaurants, and the place is very quiet. The distance from town would be the only drawback. We spent several days at this hotel, then spent the remainer at the Dorado Pacifico. The Dorado Pacifico is directly across the street from all the shops and restaurants, and was much more handicapped accessible. It was not as quiet as Las Brisas, as the more "mexican" cities tend to play loud music, and yelling and screaming during the night seem to be "ok." There was a wedding one Saturday night, and the music played full blast until 2 am. The front desk just explained, "it's a wedding," and we were supposed to live with it. We also found this to be the case in Acapulco on a recent visit, (do not go to Acapulco,) The more Americanized cities like Cancun and Puerto Vallarta do not seem to have this problem. Americans would not tolerate the noise, but it just seems to be the norm in towns like Ixtapa.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie H
Dear Guest:

Your kind review is much appreciated.

We are very sorry for not having enough handicapped accesses, but we have future plans to habilitate other areas. Just as information, the hotel has a shuttle at the main entrance to take our guests to the pools and a special elevator located outside 10th floor to go to the beach. On the other hand, our staff is always ready to assist our guests at any time.

Thank you for being our guests and look forward to welcome you again at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Cordially yours,

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Location - Las Brisas is located on a tropical mountian side surrounded by jungle, flowers, cacti, and coconut trees. We even see iguanas in the morning! It is just about a four minute walk to the private beach (take the elevators).

Beach - We loved the beach. It is probably the cleanest beach and most relaxing beach in Ixtapa (eks-top-pa). The surf is a little rough (which we enjoy) and makes for great pictures.

Rooms - The rooms are amazing! Perfect view of the ocean and the housekeeper even leaves flowers. Great TV. Pillows are down and very soft. Walk-in shower is perfect for washing away beach sand. There is an echo in the hallway so noises can be loud, but it wasn't loud enough to bug us.

Service - Great service! Everyone speaks English and they are very helpful. We always felt welcomed. They treat you like royality! In the hotel there is a cigar shop, gift shop, beach shop, a tours and activities center and more! There is also a business center, but you can get free WiFi right outside. Rooms are supposed to have WiFi but we had problems with ours.

Price - The room prices are outstanding but the food and drink prices are a little high. I recommend the Brisas Beach Club (no children allowed) as the breakfast and cocktails with appetizers were very satisfying for us.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank jennifrog222
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your nice review and for having chosen Las Brisas Ixtapa for your recent stay.

We will be more than happy to host you again at LBI in the near future.

Very truly yours,

Auburn CA
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I am a Travel Agent and have booked many of my clients at Las Brisas Ixtapa - all with glowing reviews. So, I thought it was time to check it out for myself. My son and I stayed at Las Brisas for 8 days in March and enjoyed every minute of it. The view from our huge 18th floor balcony was no less than spectacular and the included hammock made for some great siestas in the afternoon and evening. The recently renovated rooms are very nicely decorated and come with a sitting area with couch and table, great Air Conditioning, Mini Bar, and the bathroom boasts a large shower with sitting area and great water pressure. Our initial plan was to upgrade to a Jacuzzi or Pool Suite but the regular Deluxe Room was perfect for our needs. However, I did get to tour the Jacuzzi and Pool suites and they are well worth the upgrade. The service at Las Brisas is impeccable and it is obvious they pride themselves on keeping their grounds and guest rooms immaculate. This resort has recently had a 20 million dollar renovation and has won numerous awards for it's design (see my pictures and you'll see why!). Do yourself a favor and walk the grounds all the way down to the beach because it is a beautiful, relaxing walk. For those of you that can't or don't want to walk the stairs, there is an elevator on every floor that will take you to the beach elevator. The breakfast buffet is absolutely delicious and extremely reasonable (about $14 American when we were there). The pool bar was also very nice with a fountain in the middle of the pool and great service. I have traveled all over the world and this is one of the finest resorts I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. Thank you Las Brisas! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank AllEventsTravel
Dear Guest:

We have read your nice review and thank you very much for being our guest at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

It is much rewarding to know you and your family enjoyed your stay, as our main objective is that our guests’ stay be comfortable and pleasant.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Ferndale, WA
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I stayed here during the height of "swine flu madness" (a complete sham IMHO) and the resort was pretty dead and absent of tourists, as was Ixtapa and Zihuat. That being said, we had a good time. Here are my recollections of the hotel and surrounding area:

The Ixtapa airport was a welcome change from the madness at Cancun. Nice and compact, and a 15 min shuttle bus ride from the hotel.

Check in went very smooth.

Check out was not quite as smooth, but still ok. We had another guest's tip charge on our bill, and a $100 food/bev credit we were entitled to was missing. After pointing it out, they fixed the bill no problem.

This hotel has a massive concrete facade which might turn off some people. I would have liked to see more tropical foliage inside the hotel. However, the veiws from each of the rooms was GREAT, one of the best I've ever stayed at for views.

The beach was also fabulous. No beach vendors to bother you, and plenty of open palapas and beach chairs. I went body surfing everyday, and everyday the surf was booming. Some advice: don't go deep into the water unless you have at least average swimming skills. The surf is pretty powerful, but is delightful to watch and listen too, especially in the evening. I wish I had brought a bodyboard with some swim fins, this was the best beach I've seen for doing that.

Staff were all for the most part very friendly and willing to assist with my basic spanish! We left tips every day for the maid.
Sometimes the maids would come by at odd hours, like 9pm??
Hallways were echoing. The room was fine and the hammock was a great touch. Plenty of space, never felt crowded.

The breakfast buffets were great, but for dining they were about all we tried outside the beach service. Drinks here at the hotel are outrageously expensive - $130 pesos or U$10 for a standard Margarita??? I can get that much cheaper back home. Much better to do your drinking or dining in Ixtapa or Zihuat. We highly recommend Franks in Ixtapa and Bandidos in Zihuat, and definitely for a once in a lifetime experience, villa del selmar right by the hotel for some clifftop dining as the sun goes down - WOW.

Each day we did the walk down to Ixtapa and back. One day we did it twice! It's a good workout but you should be in decent shape or you'll get winded.

Bats came out every night as the sun came down, and we saw crocodiles, paramundis, and lots of different birds.

One major complaint for us was the EXTREMELY hard beds. After 2 or 3 days, we had sore backs. This would be one thing that I would consider prior to returning. But overall, the good did outweigh the bad and I'd recommend this hotel (unless you're a partier).

Contact me if you have further questions!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank b0rn2run74
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Ixtapa, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
Dear Guest:

We thank you for your review in reference to your recent stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

We appreciate you have outlined our positive and negative qualities. They have been taken into consideration and for sure they will help us to improve our services and facilities.

It will be a pleasure for us having you again as our guests in the near future.

Sincerely yours,