“Another great Club Med Vacation (Nov 8-16, 2013)”

Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Morrisville, NC
“Another great Club Med Vacation (Nov 8-16, 2013)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Last year we vacationed with the family in Club Med Ixtapa and had a great time - so we decided to do the same this year as well. Once again, Club Med didn't fail to disappoint, though going off-season helped a lot. Here are some highlights and tips:

- This year I decided to do the tennis camp - it was great. The introductory lessons were fun and both Sergio and Juanito (the tennis pros) were Über helpful and friendly. Even when folks didn't show up for the tournaments in the afternoon (it's off season, folks!) they played with me, or the few people who were there. Overall, highly recommended - those guys know their stuff, and are super friendly.
- My wife LOVED to Yogalates and other fitness classes taught by their fitness instructor (whose name I cannot remember.) She's leaving for Brazil (another club) though, so you likely won't see her at this club anytime soon.
- The baby club was awesome - Genesis and Gaby took great care of our 2 year old, and even adjusted to his schedule when he was out of sorts (the heat and time change hit him hard.) Dora was awesome as well.
- The new mini club director (Morgan) is great - very involved, and Wanny was great with our kids. The rest of the team was great - my daughter loved hanging with Carina (sp?)
- I can't say enough about German - the GO that is the sous chef. He was friendly, took our request for the cooking class and ran with it, and always was checking in to see how we were doing. You don't see the Chef GOs much, he was very conspicuous which was cool...
- Logan at the beach was great help with the sailboats.

Downsides/detriments:

As a side note, the downside to going on an off week is that some things just aren't open as often - it's a good trade off though. The day we left about 200 guests were checking in, and there was an argument over the poolside cabanas (something that happens often during the busy weeks, when people try to "reserve" them and find that they weren't there so someone took their spot.) There was nothing like that when we were there...until that last day.

- Dinner at the steakhouse left a lot to be desired. We heard dinner at Luna Azul also left much to be desired...eating at El Encanto seems to be the best way to go.
- The outdoor dinner on Thursday night was a nice change of pace, and there were lots of good eats then (esp the Mussels!)
- Seafood night was better last year (they had fresh Ahi), among other things.
- The sushi assortment this year left a lot to be desired (better last year also.)
- The kids-only restaurant was closed (they need at least 200 kids to open it.)
- Luna Azul was open only one night, and the reservations filled up immediately (we didn't get one, no big loss!)
- The head of the village was in France, he was last year as well when we were there - not sure how different it would have been with him around...
- There is very little wind, so sailing typically sucks. This club really needs paddle boards (like Sandpiper has) to be fun. We saw several people brought their own, not sure why the club doesn't have some.
- We had ants in our room - they were the tiny ants (like sugar or pharoh ants) and were annoying. They come and tried to clean with bleach to kill them, but it wasn't very effective.

We went during the "off" season (2nd week of Nov), the 1st 2 weeks of Nov and 1st week of December tend to be slow weeks at the resort. It's easy to get a shaded seat around the pool, and there are really no lines for ANYTHING. That's definitely not the case when the place is fuller . I could have done with more people for the tennis tournaments, but the fact that the first day I had a solo class (I was the only one there) was nice.

Tips:

1. Skip the resort massage and head down the beach and get an hour long massage for $40 bucks, or head over to Ixtapa island and get one for $30. All three (resort/beach/island) give more-or-less the same thing, just with different atmospheres. Obviously, YMMV
2. Don't use the excursion desk for Snorkeling or getting over to Ixtapa island, instead head over by the kayak/sailing part of the beach and ask around (the security guards can probably help you) for the boat that goes over to the island. It's $8 round-trip per person (or $15 if you book via the excursion desk.) PM me if you want the boat drivers cell number... Once you get to Ixtapa island, you can do everything there - the snorkeling on the coral beach is great (you can even get a guide on the island) and cheap. The grilled lobster is good there also, and it's a nice place to kick back and have a few beers (and a massage). Its cheaper (and probably better for the locals) if you go to them directly vs going through Club Med.
3. If it gets windy at any time, head over to sailing. Most of the time there is no wind..when it picks up expect that getting a sailboat might be harder.

Overall we had a great time - the only downside for us is the long flights (and redeye back) we live in North Carolina. If Sandpiper wasn't booked full already (private rental), Cancun had a baby club, or Guadalupe had some flight availability, we probably would have given one of them a shot this time.

Room Tip: The Iguanas building was great for us - club family room had two separate rooms with a connecting ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ASUChander

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at Club Med for 7 nights Nov 2-9, 2013.
As the title of my review suggests, the scenery is idyllic, so beautiful to look at. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Stunning sunsets, and all kinds of wildlife can be seen when walking around.
But, living there for a week, is a totally different experience. As a solo traveller with a disability, it was even worse.
My suite was very nice, excellent air conditioning, tonnes of closet space, giant bathtub, comfy beds etc. But that's all. There was no room service whatsoever, under any circumstance. The only way to get food or drink was to go walk for it. It was about a 4 or 5 minute walk to the restaurant. And once there, food had to be consumed in a very hot and uncomfortable environment. I basically lost my appetite the moment I sat down, it was unbearably hot. The hotel information did state that there was an air conditioned restaurant, but this was not the case. Many times, I felt too unwell to go for a meal, but had to keep going there as it was the only way to get food.
The same goes for drinks, it's water or coffee in the room, unless you make the walk to the bar to get something. They won't allow bottles of wine to be taken to the room, so I ended up carrying plastic cups back to my room, so I could enjoy a pre dinner drink in the cool, before heading to the steam box to try and eat dinner.
As for the food itself, the best word I can use to describe it is "slimy". I am not a subscriber to a low fat diet by any means, and am not afraid of a bit of oil in my food... but this was extreme. I was wiping grease off my lips after nearly every bite. Even the plain rice was infused with oil.
Cocktails were basic to say the least. Premixed, basically. No real skill needed on behalf of the bartender!
English also seemed to be a major challenge for most of the staff. The reception staff were okay at best, but everywhere else... not so much. Some spoke no English at all. Of most concern was the nurse in the infirmary. I had to go there due to heat stress. I needed an ice pack to cool me down. I ended up with painkillers. Not helpful! I ended up very sick that day unfortunately.
Another time, my room key seemed to stop working. They are electronic swipe cards. It seems to be a frequent problem. I ended up having to walk (8 or 10 mins return trip in the heat) to reception 3 times before I was finally able to access my room. The first 2 times I was told it was fixed, but on returning to my room found it wasn't. My third trip I was in tears. I was so exhausted from the walking (I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and was desperate to lie down in the cool). I was so unwell that I lost my way to reception, and a security guard, who spoke no English, had to help me.
I found the staff to be really quite indifferent I guess, no friendliness about them. Most of the time, I just felt like I was an inconvenience to them. Like they really hate their jobs. Which I don't blame them, since they are probably not being paid much at all...
If you do not tolerate heat very well, then I would strongly suggest that you avoid this place. Before 2:30pm, the only place that has air conditioning is your room, and the boutique. After that they put the air con on in the main bar, which is nice. But walking around, or even sitting by the pool, is pretty much unbearable. Even going in the pool and being wet did not help to cool down.
Also, the resort is very poorly lit at night, which makes it sometimes quite dangerous as you are walking on uneven paths in pitch darkness. I would recommend packing a small torch, it will come in handy.
I think the worst part of the trip was the indifference of the staff and their unwillingness to accommodate people with mobility problems or disability. For me it would have been a strong advantage to at least have a few meals brought to my room so I could relax and enjoy a meal in a cool environment... but yeah. I would say, don't go to this resort unless you are completely fit and healthy!
I most certainly will not be returning :(

Room Tip: suites closer to pool/beach (eg room numbers in the 5000's) are very noisy and pool activities a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Sarah C
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed at the Club Med for a week from 11/1 to 11/8/13. We stayed in the Sol suites room 3018. We had a private beach area with cabana, beachside drink service, concierge, and a beautiful spacious suite. The suite was beautifully appointed with a shower that fit 2 adults with rain shower and hand held spray. In suite garden tub, double sinks with luxurious bath toiletries and plenty of fluffy towels, robes and slippers. The hike up to the main resort area was a good exercise every day. Lots of stairs and inclines to get to the main lobby, restaurants and pool area. The resort had 3 restaurants, two bars and work out gym. The food was reasonably good with a changing menu every day. The chef was extremely accommodating to persons with special dietary needs. Lots of activities for all levels of endurance. The swimming was excellent in the ocean though you should protect your feet from stingrays. I got stung on the last day. The nurse was very competent and kind. A doctor arrived quickly to attend to the wound and I was very pleased with their care, compassion and communications with me. I would definitely recommend this resort for a first time traveler to Mexico. A smallish resort that makes you feel welcome and appreciated.

Room Tip: If you want a romantic, secluded vacation I would recommend room 3018 in the SOL suites. A good wal...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lillian V
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We recently (Nov. 2-9, 2013) visited, and were quite disappointed with the resort. Unfortunately, the pool wasn't clean nor tiled sufficiently (patched with mismathcing tiles) and faded/unclean tiles everywhere. The decks, patios were unlevel (at best) and mix/matched--(wood & concrete together & uneven, hence unsafe).

Food? Boring! One restaurant open--cafeteria style only. Specialty restaurants open with reservations @ dinner--only periodically, really? And the resort was totally bought out for a week with private party? Hmmmm? Service was lack-luster at best--had to ask wait staff to clean tables constantly during evening service of cocktails.

Horror stories of sinks leaking, A/C units closing down (in 90 degree heat w/ 100% humidity), showers not turning off (ever) and service personel "taking their time" to respond.

We'll not spend our money with these folks ever again--too hard to get to with too little service and bad food. We're all done, learned our lesson on this one.

King beds are hard as a dang rock with no box springs what-so-ever. Rooms were kept clean ( thank goodness) but beds are very uncomfortable.

Cocktails? Well, watered down at best. Food? Same breakfast, same lunch, same dinner daily--boring! Late night snacks with racoons begging for food and/or hissing at you was "interesting."

We'll not go there ever again--very disappointing. The location/scenery is "drop dead gorgeous." Unfortunately, Club Med's dropped the ball on this one. Club Med, you need to invest some $ and pay attention to your reputation with this resort--it needs "big time" attention.

Wish I could report better food & service--just can't. Club Med needs to pay aLOT more attention to this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KChester_12
On Da Road
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were here for a conference and enjoyed our time at Club Med. Our room did have an ocean view, was clean and everything worked. The food & service were good. The side trip options were a bit lacking but some of that was due to the hurricane that came through not long before we arrived. This was our first Club Med experience and we would return and try Club Meds in other places, even though we did find this extremely pricey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank On_Da_Road1
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was our second time visiting Ixtapa and our third CM trip in recent years (since they have remodeled most of them). We LOVE CM. It's fun for everyone, it's relaxing and we always leave with great memories. It is one of the few vacations in which we feel like we had a vacation instead of just a "trip".

I will say for anyone who has never visited a CM they are a bit different than other AI's. Don't expect 5 star rooms. They are 3 star at best but they are LARGE. The second room of a basic club family room can sleep 3. They are quite spacious but old.
Our AC was noisy, no balconies, and they have a moldy humid smell. They are clean and big but if you are Westin dwellers this is NOT the place for you and you will be disappointed.

We stayed on the third floor both trips and this was great for insect control but there were a TON of bats outside of our room each night- also great for insect control. .This freaked me out a bit but my daugter and husband loved it. The fist visit back in December we thought the droppings were attributable to rodents but when we looked up we discovered there were bats and a lot of them.

There is also a bad smell near the lagoon that would come and go. We noticed this both in December/and in our August trip.

These are just the negatives and I only bring this up because we all know CM is expensive. It is not cheap. If you are spending $350/night certain things hit a nerve.

Where they excel is in fun and service! I can't say anything that hasn't been said from other reviews. This place is top notch for providing a vacation!! The GO's that really stood out for us were Augustine and Julie P in Mini Club. Both we had met at previous CM's or trips.
Sandy in excursions- even though we never did excursions we frequently would chat with her at various places.

Johnny in tennis, Diego in sailing, Stephani the fitness instructor, Roland in the restaurant. I think he is the new assistant manager? He worked so hard! As well as Carlos the rest manager.

We also love Alber in the main restaurant, and Antonio at the beach bar went above and beyond for us. He always had a smile on his face and remembered our drinks everyday.

This review is a bit dated. We travelled for 11 days at the beginning of August. For anyone wondering about the heat- it is HOOOOT!
That said, we really need a vacation in the summer and despite the heat this is a great place for our family. I am fairly certain we will return to Ixtapa or Cancun next summer for 2 weeks. One week is just not enough!!!

Thank you Ixtapa!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank smhsmom
Irvine, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my third trip to Club Med, but my first to Ixtapa. We love Club Med vacations, because they are the most fun and relaxing vacations there are. We love Club Med, because the people they employ are top notch. I have to say though, that the staff at Ixtapa were a step above. They were beyond amazing. Always making sure that you have everything you needed or wanted. Our kids loved the mini club, despite the fact that we were there during the slow season and there weren't that many kids. They still had a fantastic time and didn't really want to spend too much time with us. My daughters loved Hoshi, Agustin, and Alina from the Mini Club. Really, I have to say that the entire mini club staff was amazing. Another activity my children loved was the trapeze. The staff at the trapeze were extremely professional and were so great with the kids. I took the Aquagym classes twice a day with either Pedro or Quejau. Both were great and enthusiastic instructors. I really can't say enough about the entire staff, but I would especially like to mention Diego, who was not only hilarious as an entertainer, but also just a really cool person to talk to. While we are eager to explore different Club Med properties, we may want to come back to this one, just because the experience was that great.

Room Tip: We stayed at the concierge level and paid extra, but we spoke with another family who described thei...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family