“The best vacation ever (my son, 11 yo)”

Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Houston, Texas
“The best vacation ever (my son, 11 yo)”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our first visit to club med Ixtapa with my two sons (aged 11 and 9). We had a great time. My oldest son said: "This was our best vacation, ever. Not only with you dad, but among all our vacations"

We loved the organized sporting activities, including soccer, archery, tennis, kayaking, sailing, beach-volleyball. The GO team is amazing. Everyone is friendly and genuinely interested in making your vacation the best possible. Claret at archery and Javier at tennis are the best. But all the sports GOs (Yoan, Logan, Josie, Christian, Alvaro, Jorge, Brit) were amazing. Cynthia, Alphonso, and Daniel at the bar and all the restaurant GO and GEs made sure our drinks and meals were pefect. The junior-club GOs (Ben, Ellie Boom Boom, Melody, Chloe) engaged the boys in all kinds of fun games on dry land, the pool or the ocean. Now I am seriously worried that I may be forgetting someone! Because all the GOs, starting with Flavia and Mourad, were wonderful. Even on the 3 rainy days, they made sure we had fun in the bar and theater.

Practical tips:
- adults and children of all ages can choose between joining in organized activities, practicing sports on their own or lounging by the pool or the ocean.
- If you travel with kids in the 8-10 yo range, you can opt to allow them to check-in and out of the mini club on their own. (As is the case for 11-18 year olds). I strongly recommend doing this. Gives them the freedom to come in and out of activities as they like. And there is never a safety concern.
- The ocean water is not clear (no turquoize waters here) but it is refreshing after any activity. The sun is strong and you need to apply sunscreen often.
- The main restaurant has gorgeous views and many outdoor tables. We were there at low-season for the resort and there were always outdoor tables available.
- The miramar bar is great for coffee and drinks by the beach. It is open for meals when the main resturant is closed.
- Make sure to make reservations at Luna Azul and the Miramar when they are open for dinner. the service is slow, but the food is great and both are fantastic locations

Room Tip: Family club rooms in the Iguana building are closer to the activities (tennis, archery, sailing, soc...
3 Thank Savalia_kid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The resort was great (food, beach, people, etc.). Others have said plenty about that. I just wanted to share some thoughts for those who might want to run or jog in the area. Right outside the resort, you will find a trail called the Ciclopista (cycling trail?). It's great for running. It is about a 10k (6.2 miles). If you make a right out of the resort, it will be about a 5 mile run down to the resort town of Ixtapa. Town is worth checking out, but it's not really a high end area (although there appear to be a couple of nice hotels and restaurants on the water, but I can't vouch for them). The 5-mile run is very hilly, but mostly downhill going to Ixtapa. I usually ran early morning (before it got too hot - I was there in March), and it always seemed very safe. I read some comments that the town area might not be that safe at night, so exercise caution.

If you go left out of the resort, you'll have a bit of a downhill, but then a flat area that goes past some very desolate beach and forest stretches for 1.5 miles. You end up at a trailer park. You also pass an area with a bunch of crocodiles. Although they are contained behind a couple of fences, they are sort of in the wild. Very cool to check out when you have time (about 1/2 mile from the entrance to club med). Saw about 20-30 of them herding together right near me. Anyway, all told you can get in 10-15 miles of running if you like (or if you were training for a marathon).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank dctravel1
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at ClubMed in Ixtapa with our 3 kids (12, 10, 6) and grand parents! We had the most amazing time and would like to thank each member of the staff who loved on us and our kids so wonderfully. If you NEED A VACATION and want to be pampered and laugh and relax and just HAVE FUN, this is the place for you!!!!This was our 2nd visit to Ixtapa and it was a perfect as the first one!! Flavia, Chief of the Village, together with Mourad, were ever present with smiles on their faces and answers to any questions and needs. ChuCho and the circus team.... Who else in the world could get my husband flying on a trapeze in a green leotard? Thank you for allowing us to be silly kids at our age, we had a blast. Ashley, your tips from the platform kept me going, Alan thanks for always catching, Jacquie, thanks for working hard! The MiniClub team to many smiling faces to name individually... Chloe, my boys are fighting over who will marry you! You are such an amazing person, together with Vanessa and Paul with the Iguanas. Melody, who handled the teens with charm and laughter, my older boys have taught me President, we play every day!!The food was wonderful EVERY SINGLE MEAL! Josie, thanks for trying to keep me fit with Zumba, Cross Fit and stretching. Your English is marvelous!
I could name tons of other G.O.'s but now I am back home and have to take care of my family of five...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!

Room Tip: Iguana building is ideal for families!
1 Thank traveleralex_11
Reviewed 1 July 2014

You can read through all of these comments including this one raving about how great this place is. However you will not understand it until you experience this wonderful staff. As soon as you get to the Club start to familiarize yourself with all of the G.O.s (resident staff) they are simply awesome. I will be honest with you Logan is more fun and lively than you can ever be so follow him wherever he goes you will have a blast. Hanging out with Camille is like having a neighbor at the resort with you. Viktor at the bar is where you want to go when you want a great conversation about food or culture. We were there for Karlyn’s (from Sandpiper) first week and she is amazing with the kids, ask for her! Even if you don’t like boats you have to go sailing with Alvaro and Jorge, and under no circumstances ever ask him to explain why we did the devil’s piss. (I know you have to now)
The less than perfect reviews of this place are the same people that would give Heaven only 3 stars.
This place has an attitude and culture of you must enjoy yourself. This resort is why you go on vacation. Flavia (Chief of Village) has assembled the best staff in all family resorts.

Room Tip: Anything is the Parajo building is essentially ocean front. But it doesn't matter you wont spend...
2 Thank Darren H
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Before I get in to how much I loved this place, let me tell you about the one problem I had and it almost ruined my vacation. We booked resort/airport transfer. The person on the phone who made the reservation told us that they had baby car seats available. We asked about this and a stroller because we wanted to cut down on the amount of stuff to bring. She said that it would be in the vehicle and not to worry. We arrived at the airport and there was no car seat for the baby! Then I was told by everyone that they don't really use them there. What!? Regardless, the resort is selling airport transfers and promises a car seat, THERE SHOULD BE ONE! YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN CARSEAT NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU. You will not be picked up by a resort affiliated car. They just get a regular taxi for you. Epic fail on the part of Club Med and they should really look in to this with transfers to a family hotel!!!

Now that is over.....After searching multiple places to go on vacation with a 9 month old baby, we decided to come here to Club Med. This was our first experience with Club Med, so we didn't know what to expect. The reason we chose it was the baby club. We read about it and thought this was a great way to for us both to be able to enjoy our vacation also. I was still a little apprehensive about leaving my baby with anyone, especially strangers being a 1st time mother and all. I also wasn't sure how this was all going to work out since I was still breastfeeding and giving him pureed baby food. Not to mention he was on a schedule with eating and sleeping......... It worked GREAT!
Upon arrival, we walked around the resort and went by the baby club. They let us take a look and showed us where the bottle room was and explained everything to us. Everyone was so nice and took such good care of my son. We were able to use them as much or as little as we wanted. The ratio of caregivers to children was 2 or 3 to 1 and never more. At the beginning they even took extra time to make sure my son was comfortable and they put up with me constantly checking on him. They asked me about his schedule and followed it! I brought them expressed bottles of milk and the chef of the resort even made pureed baby food! They had jars, yogurt and milk also in the bottle room refrigerator if you needed it. They even allowed me to store the cooler with extra breast milk in their refrigerator because it was colder than the other ones.
Everyone was so nice! There were lots of activities and events for us and for the baby! My son went swimming in the baby pool everyday and he loved it!
The facilities and customer service was amazing. We had a wonderful vacation despite the way it started. We will definitely be going back, but will make sure we bring our car seat!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Courtney R
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back yesterday from our fourth ClubMed, third village, and first time in Ixtapa. We visited CM Cancun twice and CM Punta Cana previously. We had high expectations, and they were met. If you have vacationed with CM before, then you know it is a bit of a unique experience. There are GOs, the Chef de village, Crazy Signs, trapeze, colored themed nights, 45 shirts, GMs (us) and GEs (the local workers), parties on the beach, constant entertainment, mini clubs, baby clubs etc. All of the Club Med greatness is present at this resort.
The GOs were absolutely top notch, to name a few, Logan in sports, Yoan in sports, Ellie boom boom in Mini Club, Chloe in Teen Club, Melodie in junior club, Nelli in boutique, Claret at archery, Ashley, Allan and Chucho at trapeze, Pati in mini club, Manu choreographing all of the shows, Alfonzo, Danny and Victor at the bar, Pepe in the restaurant, Josi at Zumba, Camille and Chris at reception, and I know I'm forgetting names and for that I'm so sorry, because they all deserve immense recognition! The chef de village, Flavia and second in charge Mourad were also amazing!! They were everywhere, always talking to the guests, making sure everything was ok (Flavia even upgraded our rooms to ones with balconies because the resort was so empty, even though they cost more). On the last day she came out to join many GOs to say goodbye to us, and gave my son her name pin! Pretty amazing!!
The GEs (the servers, "beach boys", beach umbrella guys, and cleaning staff) were also so kind and helpful! To name the ones I will most miss, Jose and Jesus in the restaurant, Yair on the beach, the umbrella guy (forgot his name) so nice, it was so hot and he was tirelessly digging holes on the beach so that we could all have some shade. And our house keeper, Bertha, who kept our rooms spotless, and made us new towel animals each day! There were so many more but also don't remember their names :(
As far as activities go, there were so many, you could never possibly get bored here! Soccer matches, volley ball with Logan every am and pm, archery, kayaking, sailing, trapeze, yoga, Zumba, aguagym, tennis, basket ball, ping pong etc etc!! My three kids (17, 15 and 11) as well as my husband signed up for the sunset kayak trip to Ixtapa island, which was far, but they got out on the island beach, had a drink and a snack, a little snorkel, and paddled back as the sun set, they loved it (it was free, just another awesome activity they offer). My son and I went on the am power walk with Logan down to Playa Quieta, saw the crocodiles, and awesome birds, and saw the little market. We liked it so much, we took all of the kids down there one afternoon to buy some souvenirs. The locals are very sweet, and it was very safe!

The food was very good, as it always is at ClubMed, lots of grilled fish, chicken, beef, tacos, chips, guacamole, breads, salads, cheeses, fruits, ice cream, smoothies, plus tons of "special" dishes, different for every lunch and dinners. DELISH!!!
We had the family deluxe rooms, one for my husband and I and one for our three kids, and they were the best rooms I think we've ever had, very spacious, clean, great view, awesome bath tub which I took advantage of every night, huge shower, good tv. It was perfect!! Oh and the AC in the rooms was spectacular!
The beach was breathtaking! We were a little skeptical because of the lack of turquoise water we have become used to, but it really was beautiful in it's own way, and very warm and clean. Never knew the Pacific could be so warm!!
Btw, the weather is hot! I read a previous review complaining about the heat and that the club leaves all of the doors open so that maybe their guests won't eat as much, therefore saving on food?!?! This is about as far fetched as anything I've read!! Yes it's hot, and it's hard to keep the main buildings very cool because there are people constantly going in and out and also there are a lot of open areas, where there is no AC. But that is part of the ambiance! If you want one huge ugly building that is constantly 70 degrees, then go somewhere else! It is summer, and it's tropical and therefore hot! But the rooms are very cool, and that's all we really cared about! There are fans all over the theatre, and the AC runs cold in the main bar.
Switching to the shows now. Very well done, and all done, again, by the GOs! (I don't know if they ever sleep!!) And the kids show, even though I had no children in it, was especially adorable!
The Kids clubs seemed great for the little ones, I spoke to several guests who could not say enough great things about the baby, petit and mini clubs!! I got to experience the teen clubs, with Chloe, and Melodie (both from Quebec, and incredibly sweet) which were lots of fun for my kids and while providing fun activities, also gave them plenty of freedom.
I could go on and on about how beautiful the village is, how great the activities were, how perfect the beach was, how delicious the food was, but as with all ClubMeds, it's the people that make the club, almost like a big family, and here, you can't go wrong!! Always the worst part about vacation, is it's end, but here it was extra hard, because there were so many sad goodbyes!! Goodbye, ClubMed Ixtapa!!! We will not forget you or your kindness!! Hope to see you all in the near future! We are definitely hooked on ClubMed! #45 :)

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank beentheredonethat73
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We returned yesterday, 6/26/14 from a 7 day stay, and since the trip advisor reviews were helpful in planning our vacation I want to add our feedback.

This was our second club med, but by far the best. What makes is really special is the friendliness of staff and guests and sense of community created almost as soon as you arrive. Our trip was father-son (12 yr old). We could not have asked for more great recreation and companionship and an effortless blending of kids hanging out together, parents hanging out and intermingling with kids, as the club is sized so you see each other during the day. If you like to do sports together…tennis, volleyball, soccer, we played daily and the spirit of friendly competition, adults and kids, was just right. The sea is gorgeous and on the windier days the catamarans were a lot of fun. The food is varied and really well done, it is easy to have a healthy and delicious meal each day and not get bored, the menu is continually changing during the week. Flavia, the GM, really is omnipresent as many have said and she will do whatever you need, fix any problem, to make your stay special. The GO staff who interact, play games and eat with guests included many people we really enjoyed meeting and spending time with, and they do a beautiful job with kids of all ages. There is really nothing about our stay that I would change and recommend this club in particular to those planning a family vacation. Bring bugspray and sunscreen, talk to the bar tenders to find cocktails you enjoy, I drank complimentary absolute vodka and bacardi dark rum so do not understand those who complain about the drinks being poor quality. We recommend a centrally located room near the recreation areas so you can easily go back and forth to change, shower, etc. If you like tennis, the pro runs great clinics each morning.

2 Thank crxtv2