“Very good all inclusive”
Review of Krystal Ixtapa

Krystal Ixtapa
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great pool, great service, we spent extra and upgraded to a deluxe oceanview, find out while we were there, all rooms are ocean view and our deluxe room was just basic hotel room with two beds. We also upgraded because of a mini bar fridge, we thought would be included because we were all inclusive, ...BUT....not included plus to use it for your personal stuff, (keep water cold), etc. there was a $5.00 a day charge if your personal items were found in the fridge, so we didn't even get the key. Talked to a lot of other people that had the same complaint. There was a coffee maker in our room but the coffee was locked in the mini bar fridge, so, we spent 2 weeks not able to make coffee in our room because we refused to pay for it since we were all inclusive. We are ocean lovers but spent the majority of our time at the pools because it was never less than red flag. Most day black/red.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an upgrade!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brigitte C
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hello!!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your comments about the service.. we really care to make a great vacation for you... Do not forget that we are here to pamper you...

Have a nice day!!

Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My in-laws took the whole family for their anniversary. We were all inclusive & the staff were very friendly and attentive. There were many food choices, and I thought the food was very good. Breakfast was my favorite. I don't understand all of the bad reviews. There were activities every day. My son painted pottery with Antonio several days. He was so good to my son, and my son cried when he had to leave his friend. Every staff member I interacted with was wonderful. Yes, it could use some updating, but hey, I lived in Virginia Beach. Have you seen those ocean view rooms? The salt water does a number & when rooms are being turned over so frequently, what do you expect? We were given a Junior Suite by mistake, to our benefit, and there was a ton of room for two roll away beds for our kids. We met many people who have been coming here 20+ years, so that says something. Nice stay, Krystal!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are great for families.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Steffanie F

Hello !!

Thanks for let us know your comments about the service, we´re glad to hear that you spent a good vacations here, we like to pamper you so we´re going to be waiting for you the next vacation... have a good day..

Best Regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I can’t decide if the Krystal is a bad four star resort or a good three star resort. It has all the amenities and traits of a great hotel with poor delivery.

We stayed at the Krystal for nine days in Mid-February of 2014. The location is great; it is right on the beach and across the street from a fun touristy area with plenty of shopping and food. We opted out of the all-inclusive package and we are glad we did. There is so much excellent food that is walking distance to the hotel and the hotel buffets didn’t seem very appetizing. The view from our room was AMAZING. We were on the top floor and near the middle. The room was nice. New TV, large walk-in shower, comfy bed.

We never knew if we would have hot water or not. Sometimes it would take 10 minutes for the hot water to kick in; sometime it would go cold two minutes into a shower; twice we lost water altogether. The Wi-Fi was equally as reliable.

There were no ice machines for guests, and no fridges in the rooms. I requested ice from room service twice. Each time they said they would be right up and didn’t come. Finally I snagged an ice bucket that I found lying near some dirty dishes in the hallway (my wife was appalled). And I would go downstairs and get ice from the bartenders.

The customer service at front desk was not the greatest. They didn’t seem friendly and don’t speak much English. However the pool waiters (Jose & Jesus) were quick, professional, and very friendly.

It didn’t seem like they were trying hard to improve. I saw in an earlier review that someone complained about missing toilet seats in the lobby’s women’s room last December. The Krystal replied to the review and said they are working on improving things. Well guess what? Two of the toilets were still missing two months later. Come on Krystal! That kind of thing leaves a really bad impression and it is an easy fix! It would cost $30 and time minutes of labor.

Our room was cleaned very well and sometimes the house keepers would leave us with some fun towel art (swan or a heart on the bed). Additionally the air conditioning worked great. They had a lot of hotel security, and I always felt very safe.

In short… Great view, decent pool, right on the beach, very affordable, walkable, felt safe. If you are adventurous and you can put up with the “little quirks”; it is a good hotel for a fair price. If you have high standards, and want top quality; I would recommend staying somewhere else… That being said, I’ll be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Marko850

Hello!!

Thanks for your suggestions... we really sorry that you didn´t have a great vacation staying with us... some points that you were talking about were fixed. we hope you give us other chance to prove you our good service..

Thanks again!!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is all about expectations, its as if some people expect everything to be perfect. I slept every night with my balcony door wide open to the sound of the ocean, air con was seldom needed as by 10 at night the outside temp is 23 or 25. The balcony doors by the way are a full 5 foot opening and the view to the ocean was almost as good as Westin Maui (top 10 pool) and no the service is not as good and no it should not be a 4 star in Canadian rating and no the all inclusive was pretty bland looking i did not opt in and truthfully was glad, and no the wifi did not work in the room, but I was there to swim and walk the beach and maybe lose a little christmas weight, and for doing that , this place was perfect. Nice enough and clean enough pool. Yes the emporium had a much better looking buffet. and the nightime on the beach one was good, although I thought pricy. But emporium has no balcony. Ok Krystal balcony is just a two person but at least you have one. I found that the staff were all very nice as soon as they found out you were not just another whiner gringo, cause I saw lots of them and got tired of them pretty quick , cant imagine what listening to it as a job would be like. Overall what I was after was a decent oceanview room , a nice pool, a balcony, directly on the beach, which while I was there jan 7-20,2014 offer 13 days of 33 degree sunshine, never below 22 at night, beach is 3km long Krystal is right in the middle its flat and hard for walking and some may say I am full of it but I thought the sand better than maui and almost as good as Boracay without the constant peddlers. Yes the waves seem to crash more and I have only been here once , and others will say yes but Ixtapa is a made up government resort town and not the authentic mexican experience but for me that was just fine. I liked being able to walk anywhere I pleased at any hour by myself and felt totally safe even across the street to Ruebens burgers at 11pm . im still debating whether its the best burger I ever had, its at least top 3. The whole clove pickled garlic , halapeno and onions are unbeleivably good if you like spice. If you are used to the Fairmonts and Westins of North America and are expecting something close to that you will be disappointed but if you just want a reasonbly priced (85us or less a night) ocean front , superb ocean view, smack dab in the middle of a great sand beach, and are not there to stuff yourself with as much AI food as you can, this place will be just fine. Heck you might even get half in shape by walking the beach 3 or 4 times a day like I did. I even drank a bit of the tap water on occassion and didnt get sick. Tip , I know your the customer and your always supposed to be right and your paying hard earned money but try being nice to the workers even though your expectations are not being met and it seemed to me that they bent over backwards to try and make things better. I would go back to the Krystal in a heartbeat, It sure beats minus 20 and snow. I gave the room a 5 even though it is a bit tired, cause the view was a 10. and even though I never figured out how to open the fridge either. I gave the breakfast a terrible cause it was, only tried it once and decided I would not try again but the coffee was good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank tomatoe88

Hello!!

Thanks for your comments... we´re glad to hear you had good vacations..
We would like you to be here in a future..we´re working on your suggestions and don´t forget that we are here to pamper you...

Have a nice day!!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

For our second experience with Krystal Ixtapa, we stayed 07-14Dec2013. This year the clerk at the reception desk could hardly speak Spanish much less English. Much of the staff this visit did not speak English as well as in Dec2012. Finally we were taken to our room (2 seniors, 2 beds) and the air conditioning worked like last year.

HOWEVER, in contrast to last year, the downstairs Sports Bar only operated the ceiling fans during our week there, despite the need for a/c. I thought this most disappointing.

The all inclusive buffet offered soup, two entrees, vegetables, salad bar, and minimal desserts (like last year). Still NO mexican flan offered. Generally, food was good and flavorful. We did use the coupons to have a meal at Bogart's. This was a disappointment. The Bogart salad was the best of the offerings and we missed the hotel buffet quality.

We were housed on the 8th floor with the elevators working well. A plumbing problem was taken care of swiftly. That was our only room problem.

This year at Krystal Ixtapa there was six of us (old USArmy friends and wives). My friends from Michigan, Florida and Connecticut very much enjoyed our stay (despite my criticisms).

The outdoor bar services the pool area and be palapas on the beach. There were very few hotel guests while we were there. As Christmas was getting closer more people were arriving.

Regardless, I would recommend travelers to Ixtapa strongly consider Krystal Hotel Resort.

Room Tip: (1) Keep your reservation documents with you for any potential problems. (2) Bring $1USD bills to u...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ThirstyGuy

Hello!!

Thanks for take the time to let us know your comments about the service..that help us to be better.... we´re working on your suggestions.. we really care to make a good vacation for you...

Thanks again
Ragards

Reviewed 8 February 2014

You would think because we could see a beautiful ocean and experience the warm sunshine, we would have been happy with the experience. Think again! We were treated with no hospitality almost as if we didn't exist. No one looked us in the eyes when they spoke and not one person asked if they could help us. The hotel itself was old, dirty and messy and is in need of a major update. The floors were filthy. Food was average and the same every day. Nights were filled with music so loud we couldn't sleep and days were full of that same loud thumping "music." We ended our stay four nights early and went to stay at the Hotel Emporio where we were treated with dignity and where they seemed happy to service their customer.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Warmweathertrave
Reviewed 2 February 2014

DO NOT stay at this Hotel on an 'all-inclusive' basis. They are not interested in you. We arrived to find one person on the check-in desk. We were given a room on the 5th floor. When I read the papers that we were given at check-in I noticed that it said 'standard room'. I called the front desk and pointed out that all my paperwork said 'Superior room' and was asked how much had I paid! When I offered to take my paperwork to the front desk to show them, I was told that a bellboy was on the way to take us to another room. The only difference in the rooms was that we now had a walk-in shower instead of a tub. The room had the same broken light fixtures above the bed but now had a broken shade as well and no hair drier. The mini-bar was locked and we were never offered the opportunity to use on a pay per use basis.We went down to the evening buffet - BIG MISTAKE. The food was terrible and when I complained to the Manager, a surly individual named Jose, he was not interested and told me to tell the Front Desk. The food continued to be extremely poor all week and you had to order 'a la carte' if you wanted anything better which rather defeats the idea of 'all-inclusive. We were told that Wi-Fi was only available in the Hotel lobby but discovered that if you were not on 'all-inclusive' you were given an access code and Wi-Fi was available everywhere. We tried the food near the pool and found that everything was cold and tasteless. We tried their 'upscale' eatery, Bogarts' after being told that WE HAD TO BOOK TO GET IN. There were 4 other people in a restaurant that seats about 150 when we went. We had looked at the menu displayed outside but were given a much reduced menu inside as we were 'all-inclusive' and were not offered the opportunity to pay extra for the large menu. The food was awful. I had Chicken Cordon Blue (sic) and couldn't even cut it. Melba Peaches (sic) was my dessert and the 4 peach slices were frozen hard and crunched when I tried to eat them. This Hotel should not be used on an a 'all-inclusive' basis. We made friends with people who told us never to eat at this Hotel and that standards have been slipping for the last 5 years. Room service was spotty - some days we had clean towels and other days we didn't although the dirty towels were always taken away. Almost every day one or another of the elevators was out of service. We have been to 4 previous 'all-inclusive' resorts in Mexico and this was the worst by far.
Sunflight Vacations should be ashamed of offering this Hotel. We would return to Ixtapa which we loved but NEVER to this Hotel which is 2 star classification at most.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alumrocker
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Hello!!

Thanks for your comments... we really sorry that you didn´t spent a good vacation with us... we´re working on the points you´re saying.. we hope you give us other chance to prove you our good service..

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your comments!