“Poor Help”

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
“Poor Help”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

One of my friends children got hurt getting out of the pool, the Hotel Manager did come to assiste them but only to take them to the Marina Hospital, not knowing the language they were just left there. At this moment no one in the Hospital spoke english and the Maniger did not ask if they needed anymore help. On getting back to the hotel they then offered to call a Docter that can speek English. After all that we went through.. Well I will not ask friends to stay, If the Hotel Staff says they do not speek English.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I don't know what type of experience other people were looking for when they stayed at this property by I found it to be a charming, wonderful hotel and location. It has a wonderful rustic feel with the adobe-like construction (not "Flintstone-y in any way). The staff were most cordial; the two pools the hotel offered were wonderful. The grounds surrounding the pool area were meticulously trimmed. The location of the property, away from the big resorts on the beach and their constantly blareing music was peaceful and relaxing. Also, a five minute walk to the Ixtapa shopping area meant you had scores of shops and restaurants to choose from. We even had a iguana nestled in the tree canopy out the back visit us each day. What a fun and delightful stay, a place we would definitely consider again.

Stayed November 2007
7 Thank roo
elkton, md
Reviewed 9 July 2007

It is not the most glamorous place, but its definitely comfortable, clean and the staff is nice.
The only problem was the 3 flights of stairs, the elevator didn't work half the time and when it did I was too scared to ride on it.
As much as I ate on my vacation the 3 flights were good for me! The pool and pool bar are just amazing, I couldve spent my entire vacation right there.
We will be staying there again next year!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank amberlee08
California
Reviewed 15 May 2007

I stayed at Hotel Puerta del Mar on May 5-12, 2007. When we first got there, I was surprised to see how small the 1 bedroom was, so my husband asked if we could be upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, which they kindly did. The room made me feel like I was living with the Flinstones, because the walls were all cement. The room did not have the normal ambiance of a regular hotel suite. The room did have a mexican feel but it needs to be updated with a more modern decor. The staff was very nice and kind and catered to our every need. The hotel has the most beautiful landscaping, it was full of beautiful palm trees and flowers, which attracted all different kinds of colorful birds. I usually sat at the pool area and enjoyed the beautiful view. The pools were wonderful, my son spend hours in the pool. They had a small kiddy pool for children and there is where my son spent most of his time. I really did not mind staying there, only because we were not in the room long enough since we spent most of our time at the beach. Because we paid a very small fee to stay there, it helped us to accept the suite's cave like appearance . If you are a person, like my husband, who would like a more homey feel, then this is not the place for you. If you are like me a cheap scate, that just desires a place to lay your head, then this is a place for you.

• Liked — The Price
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank igonz5

Travellers are raving about these Ixtapa hotels

Corcoran, CA
Reviewed 9 March 2007

We stayed at Puerta del Mar the week of Febuary 24, 2007. On a Scale of 1 to 10 I would rate them a "6". The rooms were clean but a little worn. The kitchen appliances were old. The refrigerator although working, was in need of minor repairs. Instead of a stovetop there was a plug-in two burner portable appliance on the counter that has seen better days. The beds were hard and the pillows were flat. The TV was about a 19" and didn't have many channels to choose from. We were pleased with the air conditioning units (one in the bedroom and another in the leaving room). They worked well. The grounds are well kepted so lounging by the pool was a nice experience. Overall, I think things could have been worse. I read other reviews prior to our stay and was expecting much worse. This resort was at least clean and not crowded and for us this is more important. The location was not bad either. We were directly across the street from shopping and restaurants which was very convenient. We went for walks on the beach every morning and the public beach access next to the Barcelo was about a 5-10 minute walk from our hotel. Although it may not be my first choice, I would stay here again because at least I know what to expect andf overall, it isn't that bad.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The kitchen appliances
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
6 Thank tombargirl
Loma Rica, Ca
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Had a great week while staying here. Close to town center,(Bars and Restaurants), with shopping
and 2-blocks from the beach. Very clean and well manicured facility. Take an air mattress to put on top of the bed, unless you like a hard bed. It's not the Taj Mahal, but it's nice and quaint.
Restaurant had excellent authentic Mexican food, and prepared the fish that we caught. We difinitely recommend dinner at the El Faro, with a view of the Sun Set on the Ixtapa Beach.

The Leonards
Loma Rica, Ca

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank lomarican
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 October 2006

From the moment my sister, friend and I arrived we knew it wasn't going to be the kind of Mexico experience we were looking for. First off, the lock on the door of our room was impossible to open. It took a number of trips up and down to find a bell man who could help. This event happened continuously. We never did get the door opened on our own. The next day, the ancient elevator was broken and no word on when it would be repaired. Our room was on the 6th floor so it was a number of walks up the stairs and then back down. The breakfast in the small restaurant was horrible and expensive. The toast was soggy Wonder bread and the coffee was weak. The inside of the room was clean but musty smelling, hotter than you could imagine and just worn down . It's apparent that the rooms were not maintained. The shower was a drip so it was impossible to get the soap off your skin and there was no hot water. The floors had cracks in the tile. After the first night , I told my sister and friend I was going over to the Holiday Inn across the street to check out the rates. We ended up moving all of our things that afternoon. This place was great, with wonderful and helpful staff , great rooms and a full breakfast included. The price was right too. Out trip turned out to be delightful after a horrible experience at the Puerta Del Mar. Be warned!

• Liked — the room was clean and the housekeeper was nice
  • Disliked — old and not maintained
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away