“Loved my time there!!!”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Calgary
“Loved my time there!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2008

Being a small town Alberta (Canada) girl, Qualton was just my flavour.

The rooms, at first, were a fright, but after a night or two, the relaxed atmosphere of the entire place grows on you, and the rooms fit right in. I loved how all the rooms have two external exits, and you aren't passing people in the hallways all the time. I also liked how there are only two levels, and several different buildings. There are many paths to take to the different rooms, so you never feel like there are alot of people there at once, even on the weekend when it is quite busy.

I do recommend the upgrade to a suite, it is definately worth it. The bed is more comfortable, the pillows aren't cottage cheeze rocks, and the inside is much nicer than the other rooms. The rooms with no view are bigger than the rooms with a view, but the view is certainly worth the cramped spaces. As the grounds are spectacular, you hardly want to spend much time in your room anyways!!! I highly recommend playing a game of volleyball, basketball, and perhaps a giant game of chess.

The entertainment staff is somewhat cheezy, but deliciously so. For being on vacation, their shows are worth sitting for. By the 5th day I became familiar with the different dancers, and started to enjoy what they brought to the stage. After the entertainment, a cab was always close at the gates to take into Ziwa or Ixtapa. Make sure you find out what the cost will be before you leave the hotel tho.

For the nights when there are a few more guests, the Hola Ola night club located on the grounds is hopping with Mexicans who are also on Vacation. I visited it one night, and was the only white person in the place, and had the best night of my entire vacation!!!! I danced so much I was pouring sweat, and once they knew I was from Canada they wanted to know all about the snow and mounties!! They were welcoming, and so unbelievabley fun!

I have to admit, the food was good.... until I ate out of the resort a time or two. I didn't enjoy the steam table food for long once I ate on the island, and had some good tacos in Ziwa.

The housekeeping staff is AMAZING!! We trudged alot of sand and slop into our room everyday, including into our bed. After they were done, there was never a spec of sand anywhere in our room!! Nothing that was laying out was ever touched.

Finally, I loved how they flew the Mexican and Canadian flags. I knew I was welcome there when I saw that!

I could write so much more, but I know when I was planning my trip, I didn't read this much... ;)

If you go, please say Hola, and tip well, they definately deserve it. We started tipping a buck or two on the first day to each staff member that asked us what we want, and by the end of the week we were well taken care of.

I loved and appreciated the laid back atmosphere of the Qualton club. It was definately a place to get centered, and have a little fun.

• Liked — The Hospitality and Security Staff
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Captcodee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Galgeria
Reviewed 1 April 2008

The place grows on you.
My first impression was that this was pretty basic. spare but clean rooms. limited eating options etc.
went for 2 weeks with my spouse and our 11 year old son.

This is a place for people who like Mexico and Mexicans.
we were there over the easter holiday which is a big holiday in Mexico. It was busy with 95% guests were Mexican.

Not a lot of english spoken but the staff try very hard to accommodate. You do not need to speak spanish to enjoy yourself here.
THE GOOD: location-walking distance to the crocodile reserve(bizarre man feeds them around 5:00 pm.). Easy Walk to beach market-ferry boats to Ixtapa island. Bus to Zihua and cenrtral ixtapa putside of door. Alternately 7or 8 dollar cab ride to either location. (I think Taxi fares go up 50% after dark). Pleasant grounds. . situated on large stretch of beach. 2 pools-adult has a swim up bar-very friendly bartender. Despite a dearth of english speaking kids his age , our son became involved in pool and beach games and had a gas. Food is edible and typically Mexican. There are always fruits, breads, made to order eggs and or pasta. You will not starve and the money you save booking here can be spent on exploring the in town restaurants.

The Bad: The beds are hard(I have stayed at 5 stars with beds just as hard). We met people that stop at the Walmart on the way from the airport to stock up on pillows etc. We mad a store run for foamies to put on the beds. The $50 was well spent. Limited food options.

This resort is perfect for thiose that want a nice beach vacation but are happy to explore beyond the resort.

Oh yeah, you can get a (good) massage for $20.00

D2
Calgary

• Liked — friendliness and location
  • Disliked — hard beds
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank DLDGalgeria
Peterborough, Ontario
Reviewed 15 March 2008

My family (my husband, myself, 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son) stayed at the Qualton over the March Break. The buildings need complete renovations. The first night we were put in a building that should not even be used. The lock on the sliding door did not work and it looked like termites had eaten away at the woodwork. The view was of the back of a building on one side and a concrete wall on the other. After much fuss, we were moved to better rooms with ocean views. One of our rooms never had hot water. The food was basically the same each night and always served buffet style which was never hot. Occaisionally you could get something barbequed or heated freshly (pasta) but you had to wait in long lines. The snack bar was very run down and I even wondered about how hygenic it was. The staff did not speak very much english and at first it seemed cute but after a while it was frustrating especially when you needed something. We had to ask every day for facecloths. The pool music was very loud as well as the announcements which were usually in spanish and so we did not understand. Those were the things that disapointed us.

The things that we loved were that it was very quiet at night-no loud students partying-it was mostly families. The beach was amazing and not crowded. Most nights the supper was served outdoors followed by entertainment. We loved all the dancing even though it was not very professional-the costumes were amazing. The emcee was annoying "Torras, Torras, la palmas, Clap your hands" over and over in between the different dances. The grounds are beautiful and the sunsets were amazing. The area is ideal for getting around. One day we took a taxi into Zihuatanejo, one day we took a public bus to Ixtapa and another day we took the water taxi to Ixtapa Island. There was an open air market right next door and a paved trail that you could walk through a nature area right into Ixtapa if you wanted. We also booked a tour called The Combo Tour which took us to a coconut factory and a tile factory-very interesting.

We loved the layout of the resort, would not want to stay in one of the high rise buildings that seem to be taking over but these buildings definately need complete renovations.

Stayed March 2008

Travellers are raving about these Ixtapa hotels

Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 17 February 2008

My wife and myself were at the Qualton from Jan24 - 31/ 2008. We chose this location based on a suggestion from Belair Travel . We have been to a wide range of hotels from 3 - 5 star. Our main concern is that the rooms are clean and the food is palatable. After Qualton Club was suggested to us I had read that the rooms were tired and I will agree that they were. The furniture was old and the shower in our room needed to be retiled. At first glance you need to be accepting and keep an open mind. We did like the food, there was always a good variety of different dishes, coupled with being able to sit outside for supper on 5 occasions was a nice way to finish off each day. A previous poster mentioned the guacamole and she was right it was fantastic, to bad it wasn't available everyday. The people were friendly, the grounds were pristine, the weather was beautiful. We could not have asked for a better week. Take the opportunity to visit Ilsa Ixtapa it's nice to get a chance to be in the water we are so familiar with when we go to Cuba or Cancun. Which brings me to the beach, it was our first time to the Pacfic side of Mexico. I will admit that there is nothing more beautiful than looking over the ocean and seeing the seven shades of blue water and white sands but I do not regret for one second taking the opportunity to stay at the Qualton. We went to Zihuatanejo to do a bit of shopping and see the sites. I would recommend to anyone who goes to take the bus service available, it's cheap, safe and you get to see the area for about 80 cents a person. I would recommend the Qualton to anyone looking for a place that is safe, clean, excellent friendly service and food that won't leave you sick or hungry. We would return to the Qualton.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sunseeker058
Minneapolis
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Stayed for 4 days at the Qualton Club. Grounds were very nice and staff quite friendly. Rooms were dated but clean, beds like concrete. Nothing going on here at night. There is a disco but it had a few people with several little kids at 10PM. Wasn't worth staying up for. The food was not very good with little variation day to day. Shower basin drain was plugged and overflowed on checkout morning. Room was flooded. Definitely want to learn some Spanish if you stay here.

It was nice to go out to the pool and not have to worry about getting a chair. No one lays towels on chairs to reserve them which always irks me.

Had intestinal problem on last day. Suspected the food. Would probably spend a few more dollars and stay elsewhere. Ixtapa seems nicer than other Mexican destinations though cuz there's not as many people.

• Liked — pool area with bar
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jorgemac
Ontario
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We just got back from a very nice vacation at the Qualton club. The rooms were a little dated but we only were in them to sleep. The water was hot and lots of it so they must have tixed the problem. The food was ok not the best but lots of stuff to pick from. Lots of activities and to find internet service made me really happy. The staff is really frendly and they work very hard. The place is very clean and i would go back. There was 6 of us and a 3 month old and everyone had a good time. They were very accomodating. So don't be shyed away from the reviews if you want sun and relaxation and a cheap holiday this place is for you. Our tour operator had a desk in the lobbie and Laura was very good to deal with and answered all of our questions. She is a good assest to the place. Good job and maybe see ya next year

• Liked — It had alot of activities offered right at the resort on nearby
  • Disliked — the rooms were a little out dated but not bad
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank Marilyn M
toronto, ontario
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We stayed in Qualton Club from Jan 7 to 10, 2008.
It is a decent resort. The weather was gorgeous. Rooms though need renovations were clean. Every day we had fresh bedding and towels and flowers on the bed. Meals were pretty good but not everyday. Hotel offered nightly entertainment (dancing group). Not very professional but still O.K. Restaurants offered variety of beverages and fruit. The beach is dark. I guess it is a volcanic sand. You can find palapas on the beach. We did not look for white sandy beach, therefore we were completely satisfied. The water is clean excluding first few steps where waves bring sand to the beach. The beach is clean, no garbage. We went to the Ixtapa island on Kayaks. It took only 20 minutes. You can find white sand and coral reef there and enjoy snorkeling. You can also reach the island from local marina. You pay 3.50 USD for round trip on motorboat. It takes 5-6 minutes to reach the island. We were on a very interesting guided tour to Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. You can request other tours (e.g. ec0-tour) at the tour desk or with your Tour operator representative. The hotel has Internet connection and small shop for tourists. Few steps from the hotel you can find reserve with aligators, iguanas and turtles and a market with a dozen small shops. The territory of the hotel is green and very clean. It is absolutely safe. The beach is private. The hotel offers some special activities to children.
Also there are few sport activities like volley-ball, tennis, table tennis, and games. If you like to read you can take a book at a small library at the reception desk.

• Liked — clean with a gorgeous view
  • Disliked — pretty old
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple