“No Air Conditioning in entire property!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villas Paraiso

Hotel Villas Paraiso
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
raleigh
“No Air Conditioning in entire property!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

As far as I am concerned, I am happy to accept modest or outdated accomodations. I don't need the place to be fancy. I would be willing to put up with the filthy floor, the outdated and overpainted rooms. However I feel that two things are vital to a hotel room in a cliamte where teh typical daytime temperature is 90 degrees. Every hotel room nees a bed and it needs air conditioning. However I was told, after checking in, that the hotel has a policy of only turning on the air conditioning from 10:30 at night until 7 in the morning. You might think that it wouldnt be too hot by 9 in the morning, but it is still quite humid.

I did notice that Orbitz and Expedia did say that no refunds were allowed after seeing the room, which I thought was suspicious. Nonetheless I had assumed that it was just because too many foo-foo Americans just didnt think that it lived up to their five-star expectations. I really wasnt afraid. After all, I have stayed at $5.night hotels where the bed was just a piece of foam. I really thought that I could accept it whatever it was like. But I cannot accept no air conditioning!

The staff policy also seems to be to lie in whatever way possible to placate the client, and then do nothing. When I called upon arrival, I was told that they would turn on the AC "early" (9pm), and then hook up the individual unit in my room. (There was a brand new unit in the room, it just needed an extention cord). The next morngin we left to spend the day at the beach, and I told the front desk again that somebody needed to plug in the air conditioner. I was told by that lady as well that of course it would be done. Of course nobody did anything. Moreove when we returned at 6pm that night, we found the door to our room was wide open. Not just unlocked, but wide open. The maid had done the beds, so I know that we couldn't have possibly have been the ones to leave it open. There was my $500. PDA blinking its little light right in view from the hallway. Luckily nobody had stolen anything, but the door must have been like that for hours.

We reported to the front desk (the phone was did not work, so we had to go down in person). They pretended thast they would "make a report" and that someone would come fix the airconditoner. We already knew not to believe them.

Yes, the beds were rock hard, the pillows felt like they were made out of rags, not foam. The pool was murky and disgusting (we decided not to use it). The floor and bathroom was moldy and filthy. But if the air conditioning had worked, then that stuff probably would not have bothered me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank katycab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

I travel to many cities for business. Only rare hotels like this one are in my list for vacations. What actually sets this hotel apart is how it makes you feel. Most hotels have the same stuff and make you feel like another customer, or they fill you up with propaganda and useless stuff. Villas Paraiso is that hotel that has a personnality in Ixtapa. Its a place to relax and feel, smell and see nature out of your window. The rooms are great and the service is impecable. The workers don't look like robots, they laugh and enjoy working there. In other words, VIllas Paraiso is like a hotel with life, nature and freedom. The kids love to play hide and seek in the back garden or just play in the large pool. The food by the way is delicious. The hotel is close to everything and i cant stand those awful commercial, huge hotels that treat you like a insect. I know alot of hotels and this is one of my favourites. Dont hesitate to take a couple of nights there and you will see exactly what i mean.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Danu91
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

Excellent little hotel in ixtapa, very friendly staff, rooms with kitchenette so you can cook, great option to save $$ in the long run as this is one of the lowest priced options in Ixtapa, but with all the amenities of an apartment.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michel_aubry
montreal, qc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

The first time I went to Hotel Villas Paraiso, I was twelve and it was summer. We booked a Master suite for a whole month and really got to know the place, staff and restaurants In Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. The only thing I could tell my mother is that no Christmas gift could match staying there.

I've been returning every year or two, and I always stay at Villas Paraiso.

Now, Ixtapa is much more commercial and less clean than it was 8 years ago, but it's still a very nice place and Villas Paraiso's friendly staff and large rooms with kitchenettes make long stays comfortable.

And on days we didn't want to cook, the restaurant has a Swiss gourmet chef!

And contrarily to most hotels in the area, this one sometimes presents cultural events. When I was there, they had received St Petersburg's ballet. Amazing!

This is definitely one of Ixtapa's hidden jewels.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank madgab87
Ixtapa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

I stayed in the Villas Paraiso hotel the when I was not living in Ixtapa, the service is great and the food is amazing!!! I did a lot of birdwatching in the gardens of the hotels which have a lot of trees and flowers and a very big pool. The rooms are really big and clean. I now live in Ixtapa and I keep on coming to the hotel just to enjoy the delicious Mexican homemade style food they have. They have always welcome me warmly and by now we've even become friends with the staff!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yarito
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

Villas Paraiso is a well hidden small paradise minutes from the memorable beach of Ixtapa, quiet and cosy nook perfect for a romantic hideaway. With a large pool surrounded with blooming garden of splendid flowers and exotic trees and birds of all kinds, and all this for an incredibly affordable price.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fanfantimo
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

We stayed at Tres Puertas some years ago. It was perfect for our family: own kitchen to do some simple cooking for our youngest, and quick meals for the rest of us, as we don't like to always have to find a restaurant. The family room was spaciuos, and comfortable. We had some problem with the water, but they solved it quite well. The garden is small, with a beautiful pool, both shade and sun. It is a very small hotel, so a stay here is also a way to get to know family life and culture. As I, mother in our family, got sick, we experienced their fantastic hospitality, with personal care and friendliness. We only ate our dinner in the hotel once, but it was fabulous! I can still remember the orange juice, with a scent av jasmine...

• Liked — special, personal service
  • Disliked — water problems
  • Stayed October 2003, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Jenny_74Sweden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa
Hotel Casa de la Palma
Hotel Casa de la Palma
#25 of 81 in Zihuatanejo
Hotel Suites Ixtapa Plaza

Been to Hotel Villas Paraiso? Share your experiences!