“Not the greatest!”

Posada Real Ixtapa
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
“Not the greatest!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Went during Mexican Easter Holiday. What a mistake. First week was terrible. Hundreds of locals flock to all the hotels and the beaches are packed. So many small kids in the pool at one time it was like an over-heated pool-yuck. There are no lounge chairs on the beach which I did not like at all. Only hard Adirondack chairs which were terrible and very uncomfortable. There is a small portion of beach in front of the hotel which no one uses but the rest is public so there are locals setting up camp with tents for the day. A band played the same song with loud drums and a tuba over and over on the beach late into the night for the whole week. It just got louder and louder as the night progressed and nothing anybody could do as it is a public beach. Loud thumping from speakers on both sides of the hotel every night. Disco on one side and music from hotel on the other. Room was small but okay and maids did a good job. Rock hard beds. I took the cushion from the couch and put it on top of the mattress and that made a huge difference. Windows paper thin with no screens and did not block out any noise. No entertainment just the same guy playing the same songs on the organ every night for 3 hours. Food was horrible. I was sick the whole time with the runs – a first for me in Mexico and was still sick for 2 weeks after I got home. Another young girl didn’t even come out of her room for 4 days. The refrigeration to keep things cool is a FAN that blows across the trays which are not kept covered and a feast for flies which were many. Sauces, dressings, feta cheese and other things that should have been refrigerated are kept on a table for almost the whole day. Food from supper is served for breakfast so if you like beef, chicken, cauliflower/broccoli drowning in water, this is what you get. Cut up wieners that looked like they have been boiled for days were also served every day and lots of Mexican dishes which I would not try. Only good thing I ate for breakfast almost every day were the omelets which were cooked in front of me so I knew they were sort of fresh. You can also order from a menu for lunch/supper and the club sandwich is good for lunch. The chicken parmigiana for supper was okay but not sure how fresh the chicken was. Tried the Pasta Alfredo off the menu but something off about the ham. When ordering from the menu you also have to sign the bill every time. The waiters pretty much stare at you the whole time and as soon as you set down anything empty they swoop down and remove it. For the whole 2 weeks every time you enter the restaurant for breakfast or supper you have to give your room number and how many in your party even though you are wearing a wrist band.

Second week was like a ghost town. All the locals left and only a few groups of tourists. Buffet shut down and you could only order from the menu with very few choices. Bar by the pool shut down, no music, no waiter, and no people.

I really can’t see why people come back here year after year?? Noisy, awful food, no entertainment. The only thing good was the weather.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank winnerdeb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We enjoyed our one week stay at this hotel. Great location on the beach, pool was very good. Hotel is very clean with exception of bedsheets, not stained, but overall dingy. at a 3 star, I expect a lower thread count, not a greyer shade of white. Service in the restaurant was good; however buffet food was average, which is what is to be expected at a 3 star all inclusive.

Brass band played on the beach until 2 am. Out of hotel's control because it is a public beach. We suggested the band move down the beach to ensure guests at other hotels could enjoy their music (noise).

We left our phone in the room upon checking out and did not notice it missing until arriving home. emailed the hotel, got a reply that they had it. They got it returned to us in a few days, and this was really appreciated. so for this, it rate the service as outstanding.

Room Tip: beach facing rooms may be subject to beach party noise at night. beach facing rooms on first floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Germantown, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is small and does not have balconies, I thought this was going to be a problem, mostly due to my wife. Not to worry there is a fairly large window that does slide open on the bottom. Great to have if you like to hear the ocean at night. The rooms were small, but very comfortable. Typical Mexican hard bed, tub with shower, coffee pot in room, a little sitting area, flat screen television and tiled floors. The maids always had our room cleaned ASAP. Staff at the hotel counter, pool bar and restaurant were always cheerful and ready to help with any questions. We noticed most people had a breakfast option, what I could fiqure out this included only the buffet. We had just the drinks and found paying for a good breakfast at the restaurant was a little cheaper then the local restaurants. Snacks in the afternoon and even dinner was also rather cheap. The pool was the crown jewel of this place. Not the largest we have seen, but clean and what a view. There is also a fairly large pool in the rear of the property. The crowds were never a concern, unlike other larger hotels. The drinks made by Hercules and Zeff were great. We like Bacardi rum, did not see it out on the bar, just ask and a bottle appeared like magic! A few bucks gos a long way in Mexico, so don't be shy on tipping, they really appreciate it. The beach area was also very clean and hot!! This is by far one of the best values in Ixtapa, not the Four Seasons, but a lovely place for the value minded traveler. Ixtapa is still our favorite destination and now we have a favorite hotel to come back to. This was our sixth time in the area, can't wait until next year. Happy travels, remember your vacation is what you make of it!

Room Tip: I had booked a room on Orbitz with a mountain view, when we arrived I just asked for a ocean view an...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FreezingBadger2011
Porter, Indiana
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I was a little skeptical about staying at the Posada Real after reading the reviews, but as usual, you really need to take the reviews with a grain of salt. I am happy to admit that once I arrived at the hotel and got settled in, I was pleasantly surprised with the Posada Real.

If you're looking for a 5-star resort, this is not your place (nor is any other hotel in Ixtapa), but if you're looking for a VERY clean, comfortable, smaller, more intimate place to stay - a place where you're treated like an individual and not just another nameless, faceless guest, you'll feel right at home at the Posada Real. I've stayed at quite a few of the other "big box" hotels in the hotel zone, and they're mostly all very nice, but my next trip back, I'll definitely stay here. And you really can't beat the price.

I had to go to Ixtapa to take care of some business, so I was drawn to the Posada Real because they gave you the option of either going all-inclusive, or drinks-only inclusive. I wasn't going to be around much most of the day, so staying at an all-inclusive would have been a waste of money for me. Plus, I was traveling solo, and the AI's charged a huge single supplement fee for solo travelers. The biggest bonus was that I still got to stay at a hotel on the beach that was centrally located, and when I did have time to relax, I could do so in one of the best pools in the Hotel Zone, with a (complimentary!) cocktail in hand.

The staff at Posada were outstanding. Super friendly and very helpful. Being that it's a small hotel, if you tell someone your name once, they know you by name for the rest of your stay. Head over to the bar, and your drink is there waiting for you. The food prices ala carte (versus AI) were very reasonable. I thought I would be heading into town for meals more often, but fell in love with their chicken fajitas (delish!) and ended up ordering them almost every day.

The maids left adorable towel creations every day on my bed (better and more creative than I had ever seen). That was a nice touch that I would have never expected out of a hotel of this size. I felt a little weird at first, staying at a resort hotel by myself, but I quickly found myself part of a large "family" of guests who return to this hotel year after year. People from all over the US (primarily the Midwest) and Canada have formed friendships over the years, and actually return at the same time each year so they can meet up with with each other. Many stay for several weeks at a time because it is so affordable to stay at the Posada Real.

My reason for traveling to Ixtapa this year was not a pleasant one - we lost my father last year while he was wintering there. I was retuning to celebrate his life on the anniversary of his passing, and to take care of quite a bit of business and tie up several loose ends. I went there thinking that I would be saying farewell to the land that brought me so much pain the year before, and I ended up leaving, looking forward to my next return. I know that when I return to the Posada Real next year, the same staff will be there to welcome me again with open arms. Most have worked there for several years, and they never forget their guests. And as an added bonus, I'll be returning to reunite with the many friends that I met who will be returning next year. And the year after that, and the year after that . . .

The only thing that I missed at this hotel was a balcony outside of my room, but given the positives - clean, comfortable room, friendly staff, good food, great pool, reasonable prices - I would gladly give up the impersonal big box feel of the larger resorts and return to the Posada. It's a "Norm" kind of place. Cute, quaint, and everyone knows your name. Thanks for making my trip a nice one.

Room Tip: Get a room on floors 3 or 4. The first floor is actually garden level, and the 2nd floor (main level...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank GumboMambo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This hotel is in a great location, but, it's a bit run down and the rooms were not particularly clean. We had to call the minute we got there because the sheets were dirty! The towels are like sandpaper and those inclusive drinks? Watered down. On the good side....good air conditioning in the room, the food in the restaurant was decent (especially for breakfast) and the pool and location outstanding.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank selaboyd
Boise, ID
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This hotel is one of the few that we've found that offers drinks inclusive options only. We really enjoy eating out at the local restaurants so perfect for us. The beach is amazing, they have a swim up bar that overlooks to beach, which is equally amazing, and the service is outstanding. It's not crazy busy and really low-key. The rooms are a bit small, but who spends much time in them anyway. They were always clean though.

The location is amazing - we walked everywhere in Ixtapa. There's also a great running trail just outside of the hotel that was nice.

This is our "go-to" in Ixtapa. There are plenty of nicer hotels that offer many more amenities, but that's not what we're about which is why we like it so much. Simple, friendly, relaxing and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: the rooms are all about the same, some ocean view and some not. Definitely having and ocean view is...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank dmduffy
Denver
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This little hidden gem is my favorite place to stay in Ixtapa. It's small and easy to navigate. The staff is extremely attentive, and they are always cleaning. This is the cleanest hotel on the beach!

It's a little off the beaten path - the northernmost hotel on the main strip - and set back from the road.

The all-inclusive drink option rocks, and the drinks are strong. They also provide water coolers of purified water all over the property for your convenience.

Hercules (pool bar waiter) and Magdalena (breakfast omelet lady) along with the rest of the bar and restaurant staff have been very good to us over the years. The front desk staff is also very efficient - never a line. And, the housekeeping staff keeps things very clean, is prompt in fixing up the rooms each day, and leaves cute little towel animals each day.

The breakfast buffet (and menu) is delicious and a great value. Lunch is also tasty. I have never eaten dinner there but hear it is average - probably better to go out to one of the local restaurants in town instead.

The infinity pool is right on the beach and very clean. They have a second, quiet pool in the back of the property as well.

While the rooms do not have balconies, the in-room safe and roomy showers are worth the sacrifice.

I really like the option of packaging this hotel along with airfare, and all-inclusive drink option, on Expedia and other similar sites. Makes the trip to Ixtapa a very good value from the U.S.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms if possible. Try to get a room toward the center of the building to avoid...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends