“Not worth the effort”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Not worth the effort”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

First I must say that I did not like Ixtapa Zihuatanejo very much. Found it unappealing and too pricy for a resort without blue Caribbean waters with very little “other” amenities.
Hotel Posada Real is a middle of the road and simple hotel. Rooms are clean but ordinary. Nothing spectacular to be found here! The pool is OK. The pool bar was closed most of the time because there were not enough people staying in the hotel. Hello? Is that my problem?
Staff service was friendly and courteous.
Avoid their “Tropicana” Restaurant. Had to rely upon it for three days because of Tropical Storm Manuel and, after a bad encounter with their so called “onion soup” resorted to hamburgers and French fries. I figure it’s hard to ruin a hamburger!
After the passing of Tropical Storm Manuel, I finally ventured out to go out to dine somewhere else but it rained again that night. Took a taxi back to the hotel and the taxi informed me that most likely he could not leave at the hotel entrance because the only street that provides access to the hotel from Paseo Ixtapa Boulevard floods during storms and taxi vehicles are too low to travel thru the flooded street. He dropped me at the Boulevard and I had to walk about 300 ft with water up to my knees. I must add that their sewer is combined system so you are not walking thru rain water only. The smell at some points is awful and penetrating. When I confronted the person at the front desk he told me that it was a public street and that the storm is an act of God. I asked for paper and pen and wrote a formal complaint to the management for I believe that while the storm is an act of God, a poorly designed street and sewer system is an act of irresponsible men, and a hotel that does not live up to their contractual agreement with the guess to provide clean and interrupted access to the building at all times is also acting of irresponsibly. If the street is public or private is irrelevant for they could ask the municipality for permission to fix it. At minimum, they could have rented a high vehicle that could drive through the flooded area, or a boat or a gondola for that matter, and fulfill their obligation to transport their guess from the Boulevard to the hotel entrance and vice versa. It is just too easy and unacceptable to blame God for this man-created obstacle!
I will never go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Last rooms at the end of the hall (129, 229, 329 and449) are bigger since the bathroom is in the are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jorge T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I just spent a week in Ixtapa and, since we were trying to go budget friendly, we stayed at the Posada Real. This hotel was at the end of the strip of hotels, and by far the smallest. When you walk in it looks ok...nice view from the lobby. BUT, when you get to the room it is not so great the bed was as hard as cement, the bathroom was barely big enough to turn around in, the bathroom door was more like a shutter giving you no privacy to handle your business, and finally the shower did not get warm making cold showers your only option. The staff was not unfriendly but also not even close to friendly either. By the end of the week we were embarrassed to say that we were staying at this hotel and WILL NOT be going back. Not sure who wrote all of the other reviews that made it sound so great but they are very inaccurate! Hope it helps!

One good thing was that drinks were included.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank wcaste
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My husband and I stay here yearly, a 4-5 day stay prior to our timeshare week. We love it here! NO timeshare pressure at all! We found the food to be excellent & the drinks are very good too! Our room is always very clean and the ac worked very well. The pool is very clean, it is right next to the beach, we also enjoy the swim up bar! The staff is very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We choose a high room on the beach/poolside and loved it!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jan B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

For $70. per night,I booked online for my Feb. trip. I had unlimited house drinks;was on the ocean;had an infinity pool swim-up bar; and there was good buffets at very reasonable prices with the option of an all-inclusive.I didn't use the mini-golf that was off to one side from the pool.
The rooms are very charming and modern,with fresh flowers on your bed each morning, courtesy of the maid.
The service is the best here.
The reception even extended my check-out time without any extra fee.
The only drawback was the lack of entertainment on the property,but you can very easily walk to the nearby entertainment venues.
What I really enjoyed was the full-bodied massages from a beachside hut with good oils for only$18.
I definitely plan on going back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank acaaleks
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Went during Mexican Easter Holiday. What a mistake. First week was terrible. Hundreds of locals flock to all the hotels and the beaches are packed. So many small kids in the pool at one time it was like an over-heated pool-yuck. There are no lounge chairs on the beach which I did not like at all. Only hard Adirondack chairs which were terrible and very uncomfortable. There is a small portion of beach in front of the hotel which no one uses but the rest is public so there are locals setting up camp with tents for the day. A band played the same song with loud drums and a tuba over and over on the beach late into the night for the whole week. It just got louder and louder as the night progressed and nothing anybody could do as it is a public beach. Loud thumping from speakers on both sides of the hotel every night. Disco on one side and music from hotel on the other. Room was small but okay and maids did a good job. Rock hard beds. I took the cushion from the couch and put it on top of the mattress and that made a huge difference. Windows paper thin with no screens and did not block out any noise. No entertainment just the same guy playing the same songs on the organ every night for 3 hours. Food was horrible. I was sick the whole time with the runs – a first for me in Mexico and was still sick for 2 weeks after I got home. Another young girl didn’t even come out of her room for 4 days. The refrigeration to keep things cool is a FAN that blows across the trays which are not kept covered and a feast for flies which were many. Sauces, dressings, feta cheese and other things that should have been refrigerated are kept on a table for almost the whole day. Food from supper is served for breakfast so if you like beef, chicken, cauliflower/broccoli drowning in water, this is what you get. Cut up wieners that looked like they have been boiled for days were also served every day and lots of Mexican dishes which I would not try. Only good thing I ate for breakfast almost every day were the omelets which were cooked in front of me so I knew they were sort of fresh. You can also order from a menu for lunch/supper and the club sandwich is good for lunch. The chicken parmigiana for supper was okay but not sure how fresh the chicken was. Tried the Pasta Alfredo off the menu but something off about the ham. When ordering from the menu you also have to sign the bill every time. The waiters pretty much stare at you the whole time and as soon as you set down anything empty they swoop down and remove it. For the whole 2 weeks every time you enter the restaurant for breakfast or supper you have to give your room number and how many in your party even though you are wearing a wrist band.

Second week was like a ghost town. All the locals left and only a few groups of tourists. Buffet shut down and you could only order from the menu with very few choices. Bar by the pool shut down, no music, no waiter, and no people.

I really can’t see why people come back here year after year?? Noisy, awful food, no entertainment. The only thing good was the weather.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank winnerdeb
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We enjoyed our one week stay at this hotel. Great location on the beach, pool was very good. Hotel is very clean with exception of bedsheets, not stained, but overall dingy. at a 3 star, I expect a lower thread count, not a greyer shade of white. Service in the restaurant was good; however buffet food was average, which is what is to be expected at a 3 star all inclusive.

Brass band played on the beach until 2 am. Out of hotel's control because it is a public beach. We suggested the band move down the beach to ensure guests at other hotels could enjoy their music (noise).

We left our phone in the room upon checking out and did not notice it missing until arriving home. emailed the hotel, got a reply that they had it. They got it returned to us in a few days, and this was really appreciated. so for this, it rate the service as outstanding.

Room Tip: beach facing rooms may be subject to beach party noise at night. beach facing rooms on first floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Germantown, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is small and does not have balconies, I thought this was going to be a problem, mostly due to my wife. Not to worry there is a fairly large window that does slide open on the bottom. Great to have if you like to hear the ocean at night. The rooms were small, but very comfortable. Typical Mexican hard bed, tub with shower, coffee pot in room, a little sitting area, flat screen television and tiled floors. The maids always had our room cleaned ASAP. Staff at the hotel counter, pool bar and restaurant were always cheerful and ready to help with any questions. We noticed most people had a breakfast option, what I could fiqure out this included only the buffet. We had just the drinks and found paying for a good breakfast at the restaurant was a little cheaper then the local restaurants. Snacks in the afternoon and even dinner was also rather cheap. The pool was the crown jewel of this place. Not the largest we have seen, but clean and what a view. There is also a fairly large pool in the rear of the property. The crowds were never a concern, unlike other larger hotels. The drinks made by Hercules and Zeff were great. We like Bacardi rum, did not see it out on the bar, just ask and a bottle appeared like magic! A few bucks gos a long way in Mexico, so don't be shy on tipping, they really appreciate it. The beach area was also very clean and hot!! This is by far one of the best values in Ixtapa, not the Four Seasons, but a lovely place for the value minded traveler. Ixtapa is still our favorite destination and now we have a favorite hotel to come back to. This was our sixth time in the area, can't wait until next year. Happy travels, remember your vacation is what you make of it!

Room Tip: I had booked a room on Orbitz with a mountain view, when we arrived I just asked for a ocean view an...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple