Barcelo Ixtapa
Emporio Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$72
  • Pool
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$81
  • Pool
Posada Real Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$313
US$188
US$64
US$60
Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$50
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific(Ixtapa)
US$441
clubmed.us
3,188 results
All reviewsdon quixotepremium clubsanca barswim up barocean viewsunset restaurantlobstermexican familiesbreakfast and lunchsushi restaurantmexican fiestaflea marketa la carteoceanview roommain buffetmexican nightfelt very safe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2011

What an incredible vacation spot. All the research and reviewing of other travelers comments paid off. We spent 2 full weeks laying on the beach, by the pool, sightseeing in Ixtapa and Zihuat., and taking part in the so many off resort adventures like ATV'ing, para-sailing and off shore fishing. The weather was perfect;sunny and 30 + everyday. Can't beat that.
The resort was wonderful. Lots of Mexican vacationers as well, ore so on the weekend. If your not interested in being around lots of kids then this may not be the spot. The beach though was more adult friendly. No trouble finding a comfy lounger any time of the day.
The beach was magical. You could walk for ever and not step on a single stone. Everyday the pool and beach area were cleaned and set up like new.
The staff are amazing. Philiberto our West Jet rep, Rafael who was there to help us with what ever we needed and Joshua, Yenny, Jose and Jorge who served us with such finesse and customer service. These are just of few of the wonderful people we had the pleasure of meeting at the resort. Tipping is good for them, considering the staff make only $5.00/day. We found though that tipping doesn't really change the level or quality of great service. Great games room, gym and craft area even for adults.The evening shows were lots of fun. Wow can they dance! The buffet's were average to good with enough variety for everyone. We went off the resort and ate at some of the amazing local restaurants.
Wow business is not great, 40-50 % drop as tourism is down. We felt very safe walking at night.
Tip; exchange Canadian for peso's at the bank. Much better rate and very convenient bank locations.
Golf courses were overpriced. The Marina golf course fairly well maintained but both still not worth bringing your clubs for.
We met so may wonderful people from Canada and the US. We are so going back . When you find the perfect spot why go anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MBMCalgary
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo for a winter getaway in January 2004 and returned this past December 16-22 - this time with my recently retired parents who had never traveled to Mexico before.

Before choosing the Barcelo again, we did read recent reviews. Very little has changed since our last trip, which is what we were hoping for! Yes, the Barcelo is still an older hotel - but it is painstakingly clean, taken care of, and service is wonderful. Food has a great deal of variety and options (the chilaquilles at breakfast are amazing! love the fruit juices too), though it's not the type of fancy fare you might find at newer (pricier) resorts. The location absolutely cannot be beat - we felt like we had plenty of room to roam, but there was plenty of shopping, restaurants, and things to do within a very short walking distance. And, we were only steps away from the beach hut that does 1 hr massages for $20 - bliss!

We booked online through the Barcelo as their website does offer the best prices that we could find. And we did take the TripAdvisor tip of requesting a room above the 6th floor for the ocean view, which we had (and loved). No complaints whatsoever about our rooms or the view.

On the first evening, there was a small issue with bathroom plumbing that was taken care of immediately. Air conditioning, room safes, and refrigerators were all in working order, and the refrigerator was kept stocked daily - though we noticed that the beer selection had changed from Modelo to Tecate since our last stay. My parents' room had a flat screen TV, though ours was a much older model (who is in Mexico for the TV, though??).

Early in the week, there was a party on the beach that had loud music, but it did wrap up shortly after midnight. Also, work was being done (during the day) on a room inbetween our two, and there was quite a bit of construction noise. After notifiying the front desk that a guest was trying to nap, the noise was kept to a minimum or avoided when we were there during the day. Staff was wonderfully attentive.

One of the things that our party enjoyed about this hotel is that it draws to Mexican, Canadian, and American guests. During our stay, probably 80% of the guests were from Mexico - which meant we got to brush up on our Spanish a bit and there were also holiday-related activities going on that were more tied to Mexican culture. We loved this aspect of our stay. Several reviews have made extremely unfavorable remarks about staying during Mexican holidays/vacation times, and I think that's incredibly unfortunate (to say the least). There some cultural differences that are noticeable (like elevator protocol - though the norm is to stampede the elevator to get in while others are still trying to exit, it's also expected that you greet the other people riding up with you by saying good afternoon, morning, etc). We also found that we had breakfast to ourselves around 8am-9am. The bottom line though is that you go to another country to experience its culture and meet its people, and the hotel service was always accomodating to everyone, regardless of what country you're visiting from.

We did get two towels stolen by the pool near the end of the stay, which was frustrating (and a little stupid how they deal with this - you don't get "charged" if someone turns in an extra - so one person in our party was shorted a towel when another was given a new towel card. We may have retaliated by "borrowing" a new card, because the teenager working the desk left them there unattended...so, no harm, no foul).

Shows are...interesting. It's worth seeing at least one - Vegas, the Barcelo is not.

We were there during the hatch/release of baby sea turtles, which occured every night at dusk while we were there. So fun to watch - a really, really neat experience.

Some non-Barcelo related items - the fishing with Julio's Tours (also a TripAdvisor rec) was great. They really do it up at Otilla's afterward - excellent, excellent food. Be careful about your taxi selection - we rode in some doozies on the way back from Zihua. Tamales y Atoles Any and Banditos are Zihua faves for lunch. Beware that the childsize portion of pozole (FABULOUS, btw!) means that it could be shared by 4-6 children.

My parents loved this trip - they can't wait to go back - and my husband and I had a wonderful time as well. The Barcelo is low-key but accomodating with lots of options. The location and value cannot be beat. The people in Zihua/Ixtapa are wonderful; we always felt safe. And the Ixtapa sunsets are breathtaking. A perfect vacation!

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank LuluHulu
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Our stay at the Barcelo in Ixtapa was great. Good service, friendly staff, nice room. Great view from our 2nd floor corner room, it was bigger than the others on the floor. The al-a -cart meals were wonderful. I didn't care for the supper buffets. Shopping is excellent, right across the street & banks were very convenient. We felt very safe leaving the resort at night & enjoyed some cool ones at different street bars. We also had a wonderful meal at a restaurant that was about a five minute walk. I loved walking the beaches in the morning. I also saw baby turtles being born & released at 7pm. it was awesome, we all were telling the babies to swim & be safe. Check-in & out were very easy & painless. We will return to Ixtatpa & the Barcelo next year. The weather was 30 every day.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1955wende
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is our 5th time back. and it's still great. We don't actually choose this place - my parents head down every year and every second year the family (another 9 of us!) comes by for part of the trip. Every year I think...if this hotel wasn't chosen for me, where would I stay. And I never find a better place.

Hotel cleanliness:
Clean, clean and clean! They are always cleaning! Good luck finding a speck of dirt.

Pools:
Lovely and refreshing and clean, clean, clean!

Room:
These were remodeld since we were last here. Now instead of the sink, shower and toilet in one room, the shower and toilet are in one room and the sink is on the other side of the door. Great for two people trying to get ready at once but it means that the shower area is tiny. And I mean TINY! Didn't bother me but my 6'2" brother was none too happy about this.

I also found the mattresses very hard but after a day of sun and sand I fell asleep instantly every night.

The shower itself is so powerful with plenty of hot water that my shower at home pales in comparison. And huge, soft towels.

Food:
As always, great breakfast with everything you could ever want. Lunch is in one of two outside restaurants - a buffet and a sit down. Both have ample variety for a week's stay...two weeks and I might be going a bit crazy.

Dinner. They just can't get this one right. The buffet on Italian night was really good, other nights it was passable but both of the "reservation" restaurants were pretty bad - tiny portions, overcooked or tough meat. Just not good all around.

Beach - stunning and clean, clean, clean.

fitness Centre - new, huge and filled with great equipment.

Hopefully, we'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I stayed from Jan 29th through Feb 5th 2011 for our 25th anniversary. From the minute we stepped off the plane it was amazing. The food was wonderful and the place so very clean. I cannot think of one bad thing to say about the people on staff on the hotel. There was simply too many choices of food to say it was too repetitive. Some of the people who have complained must be expecting a higher standard than they can get back in the states for sure. If you want to go fishing I highly recommend Arturo on Janeth a super panga. He speaks english and is very good. If you want to go somewhere bargain for a taxi if you don't want to ride the buses. My husband and I went on the bus every day and felt very safe. The taxi drivers at the hotel charge too much so make sure you are paying a good price for taxi. Don't bother with a tour to the island. You can do it yourself and save some money. Its pretty but the guys who are trying to get business for the restaurants are very annoying. Make sure you try the food at the show each night. There is so much to eat and we found it was some of the best. Don't miss the show on Wed. night as it is one of the best. If you give a few tips along the way you won't be sorry. You will always have a drink and a very friendly waiter. The maids get $5 a day so please tip them. They work very hard and your room will be very clean. The towel art is so creative and amazing. I found if you have questions or any problems the staff at the desk will help you or take care of things immediately. You won't be sorry for staying at the barcelo and the views have to be the best in Ixtapa. Also consider going on the sunset cruise with the crew on the Picante. They are the best. It was the most wonderful night complete with a humpback breaching twice as soon as we left Zihua bay. You will have more alcohol and fun than you can imagine. Speaking of alcohol, the drinks are not watered down and a tip at the swim up bar will go a long way to keeping your drinks full the whole day. You will not be sorry for staying at this hotel. We met amazing people who come back year after year. After this we will be back again next year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple