“Stayed in 2012 and 2013”
Review of Barcelo Ixtapa

Barcelo Ixtapa
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have been to many other Mexico locations, but in 2012 it was our first time to Ixtapa and now we are sold! Some of the main reasons is the weather, the weather, the weather! Travelling at the beginning of the year we have visited some places that weren't as hot or ended up with rain and with only 7 days away from cold Canadian winters you want great weather and this is the place for it. We returned to the Barcelo because of the proximity to the restaurant And shopping area and also from talking to other guests who shared info about other hotels. The rooms, were always clean and the maids did a great job each day. We did have some complaints about the air conditioning as it didn't tend to Work the best. Be sure to keep your drapes closed during the day to keep it cooler in the room. We always enjoyed being by the pools, but they tend to get very busy on the weekend, so does the hotel with guests. If you want to plan any excursions do it on the weekend if you are there for some relaxation do it during the week. Now I have to say we have stayed at a few other Barcelos and this one was isn't the best. It is an old hotel but still is very clean and tidy but could use some renovations. We feel that its also missing a lounge area for relaxing at night. Its has a great indoor outdoor sitting area, but its impossible to get drinks. If they only had an extra bar and a few servers it would just add that much more to the evening chill out. The first year we did eat at the hotel quite a bit as we did buy the all inclusive package. However the food was just good. Temperature was how it should be, but there just wasn't a lot of selection for each meal. We had no issues with taste or quality, just after a few days you wanted something different. We did also do the a couple of the theme nights in the outdoor pavilion. They were good also but not the best we've seen and the food was okay- definitely more to choose from out there and you see food quality health inspectors checking everything too! Also at a lot of all inclusives you get a few a la carte restaurants, which is lacking here. We had searched trip advisor and knew of a few restaurants we wanted to try across the street. The food was excellent and prices were great! So the next year, we knew what to expect from the hotel and thought if we could do breakfast and lunch each day at the hotel, we could go out each night for supper. I know I know not what you are to do at an all inclusive but if you get a good deal on the trip to spend another $500 or so across the street on suppers and cocktails is really not too bad. So overall this hotel is good and I thing good from top what we hear of other hotels in the area, but save some pesos and go across the street to the MANY awesome restaurants for suppers or drinks! We just booked for 2014 but decided to do a condo rental instead. PM me if you want any other info.

Oh and the beach is awesome. Loved walking it each day and getting $15 massages whenever we wanted was excellent also!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for ocean view as it is incredible. I'm not sure we'd ever upgrade as I didn...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travellin'south
Write a ReviewReviews (2,935)

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We have paid reservations for the end of November this year. We have stayed at the Barcelo
twice in the past. Have been staying most reciently at Sunscape but tired of the Towel Games.
The Barcelo has a much larger pool area with plenty of lounges and lots of elbow room. My question is "How can it be rated #27 out of 29 on tripadvisor ratings? Doesn't seem possible to me! Any one out there have any ideas?
sincerely Bill & Barbara

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank reviewOrovilleCalif_
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My family of 4 stayed at the Barceló for 8 days and 7 nights. The resort was beautiful and extremely clean. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had 2 double beds and asked for a roll away bed for my son and it was very comfortable - not your normal hard cot. Anytime we asked the maids for something, they were very friendly and polite and gave us anything we needed. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. The few issues we had were that the resort booked a college group from Monday through Friday. They were all located on the 1st through 4th floors and we were on the 8th floor so we didn't hear them when we were in our room. However, On Wednesday night they had a pool party for the group and it was extremely loud and could be heard in any room in the hotel. The party ended at the same time as the show which we attended and the kids were so drunk that when we tried to get on the elevators at the same time as them, they rode it up and down because they didn't remember where their rooms were. When we talked to the front desk help, they just kept telling us that security is handling it but we saw no security at all near the elevators or elsewhere. We were extremely happy when they checked out on Friday. The only other glitch we had was when the electric went out on Saturday night. It was an inconvenience for a few hours but was fixed in a few hours. The food was good but not extraordinary. The Mexican people were extremely friendly when we ventured into town or across the street to the flea market. The vendors on the beach were frequently asking you to purchase things but as soon as you said no they would move on. I wouldn't hesitate to back. Weather was fantastic but very hot and humid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank tyabwit
Reviewed 20 June 2013

For my husband and I, the draw to Ixtapa is the total experience. We love to immerse ourselves in the culture and marvel at the warmth of the people we meet. Every time we travel to Mexico, we learn something new about the country and ourselves. I know this review is to be about the hotel......so here it is. Everything, and we mean everything was wonderful! The hotel grounds were breathtaking. Clean beyond belief. The friendliness of the staff was exceptional. We flew out of O'hare. Talk about cranky, grumpy employees at the airport. For us, we enjoyed the food immensely. Every day, we had morning coffee on the balcony. We watched the waves and the beach come alive. Per our request, Housekeeping left us 2 coffee packets and extra bottled for the coffee maker. What can I say? We are coffee junkies. We would have an unhurried, incredible breakfast. Anytime someone else is doing the cooking, it is a good thing. My husband is Mexican. To have authentic Mexican food choices available at all meals made him a very happy man. We did upgrade to the Premium Club. It was well worth it. However, for breakfast, we preferred the buffet. We never had to wait for a table or in line at the buffet. Part of this was due to the time of year we visited Ixtapa and the days we were there. We intentionally planned our stay from Sunday afternoon to Friday morning during the month of June. We knew the hotel, the beach and the town we be less crowded. Back to breakfast. The fresh fruit was delicious. The pan dulce was spiritual. We love, love, love our Mexican sweet breads. And how can you have a bad day when you start it off with beans and chorizo?
We did have 2 "incidents" during our stay. Both "incidents" will keep us and probably maintenance and security laughing for years. The first was no hot water in the shower. Nada. Zilcho. My husband called maintenance, which took all of 3 minutes to arrive. My husband, who speaks Spanish fluently, explained to the maintenance man about the complete lacking of even warm water. Nothing was lost in translation. Maintenance man turns on the shower, lets the water run for a minute, and sticks his hand into scolding hot water. We had assume the top of the dial was to point to the desired water temperature. It was the bottom of the dial, not the top. Oh yeah, we felt stupid. We can't even say that there was a margarita involved. The maintenance man laughed with us and left. The second incident involved the safe and me not using my glasses. I put in the wrong code and the safe locked up. My husband called the front desk and they sent up security with a gadget to open up the safe. The gentleman from security was very gracious and said that it happens all the time. It was no big deal. Next day, around the same time, no glasses on, because now I am an expert using the safe, I do the same thing. The safe locked up because I entered the wrong code. This time I called security. Same gentleman came to our room, used his gadget to unlock the safe, smiling the entire time. Jokingly, he asked if we like for him to leave the gadget, or set up a time for him to unlock our safe tomorrow morning! Day 3, I used my glasses when unlocking the safe!
All in all, our trip was amazing. The beach was spectacular. The ocean was incredibly warm and we spent many hours playing in the surf. Zihua was an explosion of color and life. The artisan market was great. But, the local mercado is what we will remember most. Life's everyday sounds, smells and business. The hustle and bustle of residents going about their daily routines. We love Mexico. Every trip, no matter which region we visit, leaves us we the desire to start planning our next trip. And if there is a Barcelo Resort at our next destination, we will absolutely stay there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Premium Club. The perks are well worth it. Ocean view room on the 10th or 11th floo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Austin A
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I've stayed at Barcelo properties all over Mexico and the Barcelo Ixtapa is by far the best so far. Fast check-in/check-out. Very friendly and accomodating staff. We stayed in one of the Premium suites on the 10th floor. Beautiful view of the ocean and entire beach front area. We did have a small maintenance problem with the room. Within 10 minutes of reporting the problem a maintenance man was in the room and fixed the problem. The food served in the breakfast buffet as well as the lunch and dinner buffets are traditional Mexican dishes. It was very good and part of the experience. Two different places for lunch. One is a snack bar type and the other is a buffet with a much larger selection. The entire grounds were immaculate and the staff does an excellent job keeping kids out of the adults only swimming pool. Great activities staff who always have some sort of activity going on. The night time shows are also very entertaining and I highly recommend someone seeing. Every night they have a different show that lasts about a hour. Once again, I found the staff at this Barcelo to be very friendly and professional toward the guests. The property is also located across the street from the local flea market which is nice for souvineer buying. The vendors will also deal with you which isn't the case at other Mexican resort areas we have visited. The entire town of Ixtapa is very clean and safe. In 4 days in Ixpata I did not see a single piece of trash on the beach. Also, even though the resort is on the open ocean Pacific side, I found swimming to be easy and safe. Did not experience the rip tides that I have seen at other Pacific Mexico locations.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the ocean view room. It's a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravisOklahoma
CMBIxtapa, Director General at Barcelo Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Dear Guest:
We appreciate the time you took to write your experience with the service at the hotel, it is really important to us that all our guest are satisfied with our service.
Please do not hesitate in contacting us when you plan to come back to Ixtapa. We will be pleased to serve you again
We thank you for your comments, I remain at your service.
Sincerely.
Angel Cruz Escudero
Director

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Rented the Presidental suite for 2 weeks. We're ready to change hotels. Constant disco drum beats by pool. At night they play loud really bad music till after midnight right in front of the rooms. Complained to manager, if not better tonight, we're out of here to a more civil hotel. Don't bother leaving your sliders open to hear ocean at night, you might as well be in Bakersfield on a Sat night

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Jmckinney8
Reviewed 7 May 2013

my wife and I and another couple visited this h there another otel in january.the food was BAD when we got there.another couple we spoke to that has been there before also agreed that the food was bad.We discuused this with our air canada rep(she was absolutely great) and she told us that there were a lot of complaints about that the hotel the food and that they have changed managers three times in the last 6 moths and that we should mention it to the management.We did have a meeting with the food manager and the head chef about the food and the wine as we upgraded to prefered club.Things changed almost the next day they couldnt do more for us and they changed the food to the good.The hotel itself was good the rooms were clean.The beach was ok the ocean a lot cleaner than puerto vallarta.We have decided to stay over in the riviera maya side in the future.

Room Tip: upgade to prefered club if you have to go there those rooms at the top have been refurbished.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends