“Gorgeous setting and efficent means to get PADI certified”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carlo Scuba

Carlo Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Carlo Scuba is a 3 generation PADI dive center located on playa las Gatas since 1962.PADI instruction is offered from beeginners to instructor courses,as well as many specialties like photography,deep diver,underwater navigator,night diver,nitrox diver,multilevel diver and more.Carlo scuba is the only facility with NITROX in ixtapa-zihuatanejo.Our PADI discover scuba program is the best option to learn to dive in 3 hours.We also offer great food at Chez Camille's Restaurant and other water activities like snorkel tours,kayaks and fishing trips.Come and enjoy the fun and safety CARLO SCUBA has offered for almost 50 years!!
Chicago, Illinois
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Gorgeous setting and efficent means to get PADI certified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

What an amazing experience...from the start to finish.
We contacted Carlo Scuba about 2 wks prior to our trip to Ixtapa/Zihua. Got an immediate relply from thierry (the shop owner and instructor). His father opened the shoppe in the 60's!
So he got my info and we ironed out all the details. The hubs is all ready certified but wanted to come along on both days of the PADI certification classes. For the 40 ft certification it was little under $300 which included the class, materials, pick up/drop off from the pier in zihua. We took a cab to/from our hotel in Ixtapa to the pier ($15) - a beautful 20 minute drive.
Thierry kindly dropped off the book at my hotel so I could read the first 3 chapters before coming in to the shop and save time. This was also included in the low fee to get certified.
The instructor was clear, concise, cautious, and competent. I completed the written and in water test on the first day as I was the only one in the class that day! What a treat :0)
He did not charge my husband for just getting a refresher on the first day w/ me. All the hubs paid was 80 to do the open water dive on the 2nd day. That dive was awesome!! Thierry was very aware of the divers and all the aquatic life we were approaching. All the sting rays in the sand at the bottom of the ocean he knew exactly where they were! This man was amazing! I highly highly recommend this to anyone interested in getting certified. I got my PADI card within one week of completing the class.
The beach on which it's located is breath taking a feels like you are in a movie....calm waters and gorgeoous beach and safe! It was a fun experience and we hope to return to just dive w/ Thierry again! Thanks Carlo Scuba for an amazing expereince!!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Ritu N

North Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great dive shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I were in Ixtapa in January 2014 for a week and decided to dive with Carlo Scuba based on reviews that were written.

Our trip was for sun and sand and not particularly for diving. Our expectations were not that high for the diving itself but Thierry's dive operation was phenomenal. The first thing that got our attention was the fact that Thierry was on time. No "Zihua time" for him. While on both trips out, we were accompanied by just a single other diver. This made for nice relaxed dives. Thierry was great with the other divers who were fairly new to diving and he would explain everything with all the patience in the world.

At the dive sites, which were not far, the dive briefings were excellent and key items under water were pointed out. As little more experienced divers, we were never rushed under water. Although it felt like we were going about our own business, we were always under his watchful eye.

It was back as Las Gatas beach where Thierry went above and beyond. With a restaurant next door to the dive shop, the family run operation is truly that...family. We were encouraged to stay for some after diving beverages and food so we did both times. The entire family made us feel welcome and, again, we were not rushed. At any point, all you had to do was say the word where you would be taken back to the pier in town.

We would definitely recommend Carlo Scuba to anyone planning on diving while in Ixtapa. Thierry and crew definitely make it worth your while.

2 Thank Fishguy15
Regina, Canada
“Wonderful Instructor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I decided to take my daughters to Carlo Scuba to complete their open water cert at the end of December 2013 and was extremely happy.
Thierry is relaxed, patient and thorough...a true professional who is fluent in Spanish, French and English, he put my girls at ease and they did the skills perfectly.
He helped me have a little fun with my kids by playing along and indicating that there is a new skill that needs to be perfected for certification: the bubble ring!
They were a little disappointed that he was booked solid between Xmas and New Years, but we communicated by email and managed to get a spot due to an illness cancellation. Thierry is 100% "connected"...we filed the PADI paperwork from the beach and had the temporary diver cards emailed before we finished our sodas!
The reefs and dive sites in the area were much better than I had expected....where else can you see seahorses and octopuses while doing your certification?!?!
Valeria was eager to swap photography tips and knows where to find things underwater.
Be sure to take your own snack along...Thierry supplied sodas but no snacks during the surface intervals.
Would go back in a heartbeat....you are in good hands for instruction here!!!!!!!

Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Friendly, relaxed, and professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Thanks to Thierry for a great beginner's dive. Thierry responded to e-mail quickly and reliably to set up the dive, he picked me up from the Zihuatenejo pier, instructed us on how to dive, and then took us on the dive. He was friendly, patient, committed to making sure that we were comfortable, and relaxed. Great experience and I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to dive in the Zihua area. Also, after the dive, Thierry bought us a beer and encouraged us to relax in the shop and on the beach until we wanted to be taken back to the pier by boat. Prices seemed very reasonable as well. Thanks a lot.

Vancouver Canada
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“The best dive staff!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I agree 100% with another writer who talked about the profession and kindly manner of this shop. Thierry is the best dive pro I have ever met. You never feel rushed here, from completing the paperwork, to selecting gear that fits you, to dive briefings, and even post-dive. Everything is relaxed and professional.

The dive boat meets most divers at the pier in Zihuatanejo. But if you are willingly to wade chest-deep, it will pick you up at Playa La Ropa. Or it is only a 15 minute walk from the south end of La Ropa along a road and then a rocky path to the dive shop at Playa Las Gatas.

I did 5 dives with this company and was impressed by everyone. My 20-something niece and nephew came with me one day to do a Discover Scuba dive. They did their land training with Valeria who made them feel safe and comfortable.They had a great first experience underwater.

Other dive shops want you to leave when you are done. Not so at Carlo Scuba. You are not rushed out of your gear, you can hang around the shop, or have a drink in the restaurant next door, or chat with other divers or even your divemaster. When everyone wants to go, then the boat will take you back to town.

I will return and dive with Carlo Scuba again. Also, Thierry answers emails quickly, in 3 languages.