“This resort does not live up to the AMResorts name!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Sacramento, California
“This resort does not live up to the AMResorts name!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Do not go to this resort if you have ever been to a Dreams or Secrets resort. You will be terribly disappointed! No dining options (only one restaurant open each night), boring, unimaginative food, and the resort common areas are dirty and the furnishings are stained and threadbare. I refused to sit on some of the furnishings, and the common area couches on each floor were filthy and did not even have seat cushions that fit. Only 2 of the 4 elevators worked which resulted in long waits to get up or downstairs. The suites we stayed in did not look like the one on the website! Our air conditioners did not work so we had to be moved. Our daughters room had a leak in the ceiling in the bathroom so the floor was always wet. The list goes on and on.

The only thing going for it is the service of the waiters and bar staff. We did tip heavily, but they have clearly been trained by AMResorts to stay on top of their clients needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lfm2703
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear lfm2703:

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa Management & Staff, we would like to express our most sincere apologies for the experience that you had during your visit with us. Your comments have been shared to all our departments in order to avoid any similar situation in the future.

It is important to distinguish that, we just had the tropical storm “Manuel” and the “Raymond” hurricane a few weeks ago. We had a very low occupancy, which forced us to keep a limited restaurants operation. About the entertainment, we implemented our daily raining program.
We are very sorry for that.

We understand that the customer speciation was different that we offered at that moment, and your comparative from other AMResorts properties, but this was an unusual low season problem, after the tropical storm, again I am so sorry for that.

We want to inform you that we have a normal guest service in all the areas, our main goal is the guest satisfaction, we are doing the best.

We thank you for sharing your feedback to us, and hope that you will come to visit us in the near future once again to exceed your expectations as all our guests deserve!

Jesús García

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Overall, I had a wonderful time at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico but I have to highlight the service at the Bluewater restaurant as some of the finest I've ever experienced. From the 21st-27th, I ate there daily. Service and food at the Bluewater were excellent and, even more impressive, remained consistently excellent throughout my stay. The captain, Guille, was welcoming, friendly, attenetive and made everyone feel at home. I'd like to make special mention of two waiters, Bere and Adilen, whose service was superb. Finally, the bartender, Simon, was a delight, funny and engaging. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank elenarobleda
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear, elenarobleda,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your review, it is very important for us.

We are looking forward to have you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa. It will be a pleasure to serve you once again.

Kindest Regards,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is in a very good location, the room hotel grounds and restaurants were all to my liking. All rooms have a balcony with ocean view, to me this was an added bonus.The beach is beautiful and very clean although i thought it was very rough. The food was very tasty and the employees very nice. One thing i did not like was the temperature of the pool. The days were very hot and when i jumped into the pool to cool down i felt as if i was in a boiling pot. The sun is beaming on the pool all day and they do not have the proper equipment to keep the pool cold. I did not like this.Overall i enjoyed myself.

Airport is only 20 minutes from the hotel. Taxis are more expensive from airport to hotel. It was half the price on our return.I recommend you use the taxi right out side the airport parking area upon your arrival it is cheaper and they provide the same service. I found this out on our return to the airport. E-mail Raymundo Carmona for his service at raymundo1111@hotmail.com

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dori90210,

We want to thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate each one of your comments, this is the best way for us to improve every opportunity area.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We traveled to the Sunscape Dorado hotel in Ixtapa in mid-October with a group of 11 people. This is the 3rd AMResort we've stayed in, with the other 2 being Dreams resorts. Beware: their website will get you nowhere. Sunscape Ixtapa is not like the Dreams resorts (like I was expecting), and they definitely haven't updated in awhile, as there were some "lies." An important thing to realize is that Ixtapa is not a popular destination spot for tourists. Sunscape Ixtapa considers this time to be their off-season. Also, they give special rates to locals and Mexicans that want to stay during the weekend. Be prepared for a lot of kids....everywhere, which would be fine if they offered more. They seemed to cater more to Mexican tourists that American tourists. Of course, I enjoyed my stay and had a blast with my friends, but I wouldn't come to Sunscape again with the below-listed cons.

Pros and cons:

Pros
The staff are incredibly friendly. Shout-out to Daniel, Marcello, Raymundo, Jorge, Antonio (at the pool), entertainment staff, Rene and concierge "trainee" (I can't remember her name).
The location across from various shops, restaurants, and Senor Frogs, plus the beach was kept very clean.
The hotel felt very safe - the security guard at the front took down taxi license plates when we left.
The hotel itself was clean and always kept up. The room maids did a great job. Even though the resort may be a little old, they have kept it up very nicely.
The drinks were good with most liquor requests fulfilled; be prepared to wait awhile sometimes - worth it if you find the right bartender.
Check in and check out was fairly quick. Upgrade offers to suites are nice, BUT the suites are too big to be cooled properly; the A/C does not work well in those.
Breakfast buffet was AMAZING!!! Large variety of foods, including omelet bar, crepes, pancakes, waffle bar, assortments of cereals and pastries, just everything you could imagine and want for breakfast - but it's only on the weekends during the off-season. Kind of a bummer.
They accommodated our large group of 11 very well and made sure we had plenty of guacamole during lunches and dinners. Wait staff is slow, though.
Free Wi-Fi...works best through lobby and pool area, but definitely a nice touch. Plus, they have a computer in the lobby area.
The waterslides are awesome. Serious fun, even for adults.
The pool has a great layout, and the water volleyball is a blast.
I visited the spa and had a facial and massage. The spa whirlpool area is very nice and relaxing....I truly enjoyed it.

Cons
Hot, hot, hot - get better circulating A/C!
On that note, the room refrigerators don't cool very well, either. Our drinks were never very cold.
No after-hours room service. Remember what I said about the website lies? Forget the 24-hour service you see at most all-inclusives and especially Dreams! VERY DISAPPOINTED!! It is only open from 7am-11pm, and it's not a huge menu.
Do not be fooled by all the restaurants listed on their site. They only opened up certain restaurants on different days. The Bluewater Grill is the only restaurant they had for lunch - no variety between days. The food is good, but I prefer to have some options. Dinners usually only had 1 restaurant open, and most of the days it was the same restaurant as lunch - just a different menu.
They do not provide bottled water other than in your room. You are given 3 bottles a day, but you could always ask your maid or room service for more.
Children running and yelling throughout the entire resort including the "adults only" bar. I usually don't mind children, but if I want to enjoy cocktails at the bar, please, no children.
The electricity went out one night, and the elevators were slow with one being broken. Then, another broke while we were there. And, they are hot and musty!!
The Barefoot Grill was interesting. They should offer more food options, and use bottled ketchup - not a yucky, runny bowl.
The pool looks dirty - clean it! I wouldn't even step foot inside their jacuzzi.
Pool bars closed at 6 pm, plus let's talk about how they shut down everything, and I mean EVERYTHING early! The indoor bar (Rendezvous) was only open until 11 pm or 12 am, depending on the day. What happened to bars closing at 2 am? Again, they are not catering to tourists that like to stay up and party.
Not once was the Eclipse "outdoor lounge and nightclub" open during our 7-day stay.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms are hard to cool - go for the smaller one!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank MarvelousMolinas
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear MarvelousMolinas,

Thank you so much for taking a while to let us know your opinion. We appreciate each one of your comments, and we are really sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations.We will definitely be working on the areas of opportunity.

We really wish you could reconsider visiting us again some day, we will do everything posible to change this first impresion and be sure that you can enjoy a memorable stay during your visit.

General Manager.
Ixtapa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel it's self is pretty. However the bed was as hard as a rock. The pool was filthy everyday. Guest service sucked. Small children hanging at the bars. When it clearly stated other wise. Not going back

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Melissa C,

Thank you so much for taking a while to let us know your opinion, we are really sorry to hear that you do not want to come back to our resort.
However, we would like to have another chance to guarantee that your next stay will be more comfortable. It is going to be a pleasure having you among our Guests again.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We traveled to the Sunscape Dorado hotel in Ixtapa in mid October with a group of 11 people. This could be a great resort however I feel the expectations are poorly set with false promises on their website. I have personally been to 8 different all inclusives in Mexico and other countries and feel like I have a pretty good feel for what is to be expected.
One thing to note is that Ixtapa is not your typical Mexican tourist town. If you travel here during the off season you will likely be one of the few white people in area. It primarily seems to be a Mexican tourist destination.
Below I have listed the pros, cons and suggestions for Sunscape Dorado

Pros
The staff are incredibly friendly. We really appreciated Daniel, Marcello, Raymundo, Jorge, All of the entertainment group as well as the concierge gal.
They made us boxed lunches to go per our request
The food quality is for the most part very good (except for the barefoot grill) which can be hard to come by at an all inclusive.
The location of this hotel is incredible, right on the beach and the beach front is kept very clean. It is also close to all the Ixtapa shops, downtown and Senor Frogs.
The hotel was clean and the bathrooms were always kept up. The room maids also did a great job.
The drinks were good with most liqueur requests fulfilled. You will not find gray goose here but if Absolute works then you are in luck.
No bracelets was a plus, the pool/beach towels were always available and they did not hassle you about taking more than one.
Check in and check out was fairly quick.
Breakfast buffet was incredible - custom made omelets and plenty of variety. Orange juice was great but the other juices were pretty bad.
They accommodated our large group of 11 very well and made sure we had plenty of guacamole during lunch and dinner.
FREE WIFI!!!! Not only is the WIFI free but it works VERY WELL throughout the hotel and especially by the pool. This was hands down my best hotel wifi experience.
The waterslides are awesome. Serious fun even for adults.
The pool has a great layout and the water volleyball is a blast.

Cons
No after hours room service. Regardless of what the website says or the menu in your room says, they shut room service down from 11pm to 7am. No late night snacks at all. If you are hungry after 11, too bad.
For 7 days straight we had to look at the EXACT same lunch menu. No variety at all for lunch. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but it gets very old looking at the same menu day after day.
Dinners only had 1 restaurant open and most of the days it was the same restaurant as lunch - just a different menu. Do not be fooled by all the restaurants listed on their site, they shut all but one down each night.
They do not provide bottled water other than in your room. You are given 3 bottles a day. This might be OK for Mexican tourists but Americans like their bottled water when we are in Mexico. Doesn't matter how clean you say that tap was is, bottled please.
Lots of children. Children throughout the entire resort including the "adults only" bar.
The Barefoot grill was pretty much disgusting. This is their version of a snack shack. It served precooked hamburgers, french fries and nachos. How about some fish tacos, maybe a little civche and some guacamole? This was a big let down.
Pool bar closed pretty early in my opinion considering people stayed at the pool until dark.
Like other reviewers mentioned, during the busy times the elevators are terrible. It doesn't bother me that they were hot but they were soooooo slow and had trouble handling the rush hour crowds.
Every single night the fuse to our room blew. My wife blow dries her hair and even with all the lights out we still blew the fuse. After the first night of calling maintenance I just starting going down the hall and flipping the switch back myself. It is so comical that I am really not even mad about it.
Not once was the Eclipse "outdoor lounge and nightclub" open during our 7 day stay.
Not once during our 7 day stay was the dress code to any of the restaurants "casual elegance". So all 7 men in our group brought pants to Mexico that we never had to actually use. Super annoying.

Suggestions:
Let your guests know ahead of time that there will be a massive wave of Mexican tourists than literally take over the hotel from Friday to Sunday evening. This was not a problem for us but it was just a little shocking how many people showed up out of nowhere.
Offer more and better food at the Barefoot Grill. It is really bad. All other food was good.
Offer bottled water at your restaurants and CoCo cafe
Offer some way to get food after hours if you are going to shutdown room service.

Conclusion
Despite the large number of "cons" I listed above our group did have a wonderful time at this hotel. If you have never been to an all inclusive then you will absolutely LOVE it here. If you have expectations from other resorts then do your research and set the bar low. If you want a high class establishment you will need to fork over a few thousand more pesos and look elsewhere. If you are looking for a good deal at a decent all inclusive you cannot go wrong here. A big thank you to the wonderful staff for working extra hard to accommodate us needy gringos. We had a blast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris M
Dear Chris M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience and your opinion, this is the best way for us to improve every opportunity area, according to our guests needs and expectations, we really want to offer you an apology for the inconvenient that you had during your stay, it is so sad to know that we did not meet with your expectations.
However, we sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Ixtapa on a future occasion and we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Camas, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Sunscape Dorado Ixtapa provided less than advertised. Of the five on site dining venues, only one was open at a time. The daily menus were repetitive, especially at lunch. Service was very slow. Food quality was average. Pool facilities were below average for an all inclusive, and less than clean. Beach was first rate, but there were no lounges on the beach, just chairs.

The Dorado attracts a large weekend crowd from Mexico City, so weekends are packed. Midweek crowds were light. Most visitors are Mexican nationals, providing a more exotic and positive feel

The on site time share \ vacation club salesman constantly begs time to offer his spiel.

You are provided a booklet of coupons upon registration, good for hotel services. However, the coupons are worthless, as the cash discount prices are less than the coupon plus cash prices. A bait and switch program

The hotel suffers from chronic power outages. Do not use the hair dryer when the AC is on. Circuits will blow.

Staff is genuinely friendly and caring, although slow and resistant to one off requests. Activities directors, Blanca and Carlos, were outstanding.

At least one elevator was out of service at all times, and often two of the four were down.

Location is good. Airport is 20 minutes, Zijuantanejo is just
15 minutes, and local businesses across the street. Ixtapa beaches have an extreme under tow; body surfing not advised for less than competent swimmers. Water temps are ideal.

For an inexpensive all inclusive this is a viable option for those on a budget. If you expect a top flight experience, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nowdow
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Nowdow.

On behalf of Sunscape Ixtapa Management & Staff we would like to express our most sincere apologies for the experience that you had during your visit with us. Your comments have been shared to all our departments and with a especial attention to our Food & Beverage department.

We really appreciate your review on TripAvdvisor, it is very important for us in order to improve our service day after day.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back one more time to change this first impresion and be sure that you can enjoy a memorable stay during your visit.