“Great vacation....”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Edmonton, Canada
“Great vacation....”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed at the Sunscape in Ixtapa from November 6-20, 2013. I have to say what a great time we had. The staff at the resort were very friendly and helpful in any way possible. Because we were there during low season all the restaurants weren't open but there was always a place to eat. I liked the fact that you didn't need a reservation at any of the restaurants and we were able to get in at any time. Thanks to Raymando at the barracuda bar and his Raymando specials which you have to try. Special no. 1 and no. 2 you have to ask for, you won't regret it. Thanks Raymando you are the best. Also to simon, Claudia, the entertainment crew that kept us busy during the day. The waiters in the resturants and all the cleaning staff, awesome job. The beach was very clean and the pool was always warm. The only drawback was the weekends. The hotel opened to families and it got very busy. I didn't like the fact that the swim up bar was adult only and you couldn't find a seat as it was taken by children. But we usually found something else to do to get away from the crowds.

You also have to walk down the beach to your right and have one of the best massages for $15 for an hour. Hut no. 4 and 5. Well worth the walk.

We would definitely return to Ixtapa.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get an ocean view room. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cam4bam
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear cam4bam,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our service, we really appreciate them.

It is nice to hear that you had such a wonderful time here at our resort Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

We would be very pleased to have you back here at your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

Jesús García

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Ixtapa
Reviewed 1 December 2013

If you want to go to Mexico I highly recommend Ixtapa and Sunscape. Food and service was perfect. It wasn't busy so it was very relaxed. The water and beaches were also very clean. Hotel was very well kept and clean. I have been to PV, Los Cabos, Cancun, and the Mayan. The Suncsape resort was the best yet. Staff was very nice to deal with and super friendly. Great stay and will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with AMResorts

1 Thank Darryl L
Dear Darryl L,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa staff and myself, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your opinion about our service, our commitment is to have satisfaced customers and we are pleased to know that we are achieving it.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

sherwood park, AB
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were at the Sunscape from Nov. 9th to the 20th. This was our fourth trip to Ixtapa, our first at the Sunscape. We usually stay at the Barcelo which has suited us fine but we were ready for a change and Sunscape was cheaper.
Westjet (Alberta, Canada) begins flying to Ixtapa in November. It is considered low season. When you are looking at TripAdvisor, pay attention to the time of year the review was written. You will hear different things at different times of the year.
From my experience travelling in Mexico I have always found; the people are wonderful , friendly and eager to give good service, the beds are hard, and the resorts fill up with Mexicans on the weekends (of course!). In general, I have noticed that Mexicans love children. They will treat yours very well and they often travel with their whole family. It is a joy to see. Most resorts have a lot to offer to for the children.
Here are my comments about our stay in no particular order:
ROOM – We booked a partial ocean view, and then were offered an upgrade ($25 a night) to the full ocean view. We were put in 1717 which had a part view of the ocean and a big view of the hotel next door. I didn’t think that was worth the extra money. The next day we were moved to 1612 – on the south side of the bldg – which had a wonderful view of the resort, beach and ocean. I do not agree with a previous viewer who said the larger numbers have the better views. The hotel is shaped like an arrow head. The best views are the Jr. Suites – They are rooms 14 and 15 and face the ocean directly (on the tip of the arrow). Rooms 16 and up are on the north side and face the hotel, rooms 12 and lower are on the south side and have a better view of the ocean. This applies to the FULL OCEAN suites only. I can’t comment on the partial ocean view. They face the town and the mountains, which is a great view too – just no ocean. It is worth noting that the AC in the first room worked much better than in the second room. So if that is important to you, then ask for another room. Also, if I were going again I would NOT bother paying for an upgrade. We were hardly in the room! The rooms were nice. They had big baskets instead of drawers to put stuff in and I really liked that. There was lots of ledge and counter room as well. The bathrooms were really nice. Again, a ledge and big counter for stuff. Big walk in showers were lovely. The water was always hot but there was not much water pressure. We get up early and go to bed early. Bring DVDs from home if you like to watch a show in the evening. Very few English TV channels. Our room had 2 double beds but some people on the beach told us that there were rooms that had queen size beds. That would have been more important to me than a great view!!
DRINKS – Drinks were fabulous. All name brand liquors. I even drank Grand Marnier in the lounge and regularly had Irish Cream (Fenney’s) on the beach. Mimosas at breakfast and on the beach. They always had a different drink of the day, which I really appreciated. I never know what to order! Raymondo is often at the ‘Oceans’ beach bar. He is a sweet man and a great bartender. I even saw him taste a drink (with a clean spoon) to make sure it was perfect. Be sure to ask for the Raymondo Special #1 and #2 while you are there. Sweet, delicious girlie shots!
FOOD – We have been to many AI and I am personally getting tired of the buffets. Having said that, the buffet food at the Sunscape seemed to be about the same as I have had other places. They do have great pastries! The sugared doughnuts taste just like the ones my German mother in law made. My husband and son had several every day. We ate in all the restaurants for supper except the Sushi one. They were all great. I think the best was TAMARINDO, the Mexican restaurant. We almost didn’t go there because I thought it was a buffet. All the restaurants are outside except for the Italian one. Go there if you want air conditioning. I love eating my meals outside and I really liked that about the Sunscape. We loved the outdoor hamburger grill. It was nice to eat in our loungers. The coffee bar was also great for coffee and a pastry in the morning while I waited for the family to get up.
BEACH/POOL- I am an early riser so I never had a problem getting a front row Palapa on the beach. There are lots of chairs and loungers on the beach, just not enough Palapas for shade. If I were travelling in a busy time I would bring my own Beach umbrella from home. Seriously. Then you’d never have to worry about getting a good spot. The Sunscape doesn’t have towel cards and I’m not sure that is a good thing. People save seats with towels and then never come back. In the evening the staff walked around picking up arm loads of towels. I was worried about the water being rougher at this part of the beach. The waves are rougher here than at the Barcelo end but that it is because the water is shallower by the Sunscape. So even if you are crashed by a wave it is easy to keep your footing. I think it is actually safer by the Sunscape. I don’t like waves so I get past the breaker and then have a heavenly swim in the warm, clean water. The pool is big! My son spent a lot of time in there. I’m not really sure if the water was dirty or if it just looked dirty because the bottom of the pool is white rather than blue. This is one area that could use a little improvement. I think they are working on it.
WIFI was great - even got a weak signal at the beach.
Our son had room service one night while we went to the Adult Only Italian restaurant. It was a simple menu but arrived promptly and he enjoyed it.
There were a few turtles released every few evenings. I think the Turtles prefer the South end of the beach because the Barcelo had TONS of little turtles to release every night when we stayed there. You may want to walk down and join them one evening before sunset.
We don’t do much shopping in Mexico anymore. We’ve got enough souvenirs. Instead we give most of our money away as tips. I have always found that we get good service whether we tip or not.
STAFF – great staff. I found they were exceptional at this resort. Omar the beach waiter, and Francisco the sweet elderly man who dusted off all the pool/beach furniture and helped me get settled each morning, were quite concerned when the Palapa we usually sat at was ‘reserved’ by a couple from Mexico City who didn’t show up until after noon. They were more worried than me! The Entertainment staff was exceptional. They played volleyball by day and hosted the shows in the evening. I was impressed when one of them joined my son and I in the pool (he recognized my son from the daily Volleyball games) and played ball with us. Entertainment staff also sat down in the restaurant and chatted a bit with us. The teen and children programs were the best we ever saw. There was lots going on the Resort!
Don’t wait until the last day to go for a massage on the beach like I did. I should have gone more than once.
We love Mexcio for the people, for the wonderful weather, for the culture. The Sunscape was fabulous and we will stay there again if we can afford it. The cost for this resort was very reasonable. They may be keeping it low for now to get more people to try it.

12 Thank alittleflower
Dear alittleflower,

We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

Each one of your comments is very important to us because it is the best way to grow up and improve our service day after day.

We would really like to have you back here at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, your home away from home.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My family just returned from my parents 50th wedding anniversary and I can't begin tell you how much we all loved it. My wife and I had been to Ixtapa in 2005 and was very pleased to be able to go back and this time stay at Sunscape Dorado. From the time we arrived till the time we hopped on the bus to leave yesterday we were treated with the BEST of service always with a smile.
My son, brother, nephew and myself took my father fishing and was able to see my dad bring in a 95lb sailfish and my brother bring in a Mahi Mahi. Wicked awesome time.
Restaurant staff was always fantastic. We tipped great so in returned had unbelievable service. Eric, Tomas, Raul and GG were our favorite waiters but all others helped out great as well.
Pool service was great but want to mention one waiter that went out of his way for us. Gersain. What a great man. He would see us walking to the pool and would have our drinks ready for us. We treated him like family and it showed.
Entertainment staff. This group of people helped to make our trip what it was. Alberto, Carlos and others always came to us, talked with us and participated in activities with our family. A special thank you to Himer. Never before has a staff member from any resort we have stayed at been so kind and generous as this man was. He participated in activities with my family and even sang a song to my mother had had a dance with her. The day we left he brought my family a wooden carving as a souvenir as now he felt like part of our family. He also gave me a necklace that his father made for him and I was so thankful. Himer, you are awesome.
From watching the turtle release, the beach, para sailing, snorkeling, watching the Sask Riders win the Grey Cup, to everything else, wonderful time.
Only small beef I had was the hard bed but I can totally live with that. We as a group will definitely be going back.

The Logan's from Calgary

6 Thank Duane L
Calgary
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just returned from our stay at Sunscape Dorado (Nov 13th - 23rd) which we booked thru WestJet Vacations. Direct flight from Calgary. Note - new WestJet planes do not have tv's so be prepared.

We have been to Ixtapa 1 time previously and stayed at Intercontinental Presidente and this was a much better resort, in my opinion.

The room - We booked an Ocean View room and were initially given room 1801 which was not exactly on the front of the building. Although it did have an o/v it was not what we had hoped for so we paid to move to room 2014. This is considered a Junior Suite (king bed and what I would call a day bed), 2 balconies and a small eating area in the middle. We were completely satisfied with this location. Best rooms are those ending in 10-18 and 16,17 & 18 are probably quieter as they are around the corner from the area where evening entertainment takes place on the weekends. Our a/c was very noisy and didn't work well - seemed to be only 1 fan speed. 2014 faces the water and the waves can be noisy at night if you leave your patio doors open.....not complaining. Many if not all the rooms have connecting doors so depending on who you're next to it may be noisy. Ear plugs maybe???

The Resort - This is an older hotel like many in Ixtapa and although it has been renovated the infrastructure is not new. The elevators are painfully slow, which isn't normally a huge deal, but when you are dressed for dinner in the evening and the temp in the hallway on the 20th floor is over 90 degrees, trust me, it's a bit annoying. They need to install some huge ceiling fans to move the air in the atrium area or at least have fans in the lobby bar to make it more enjoyable to gather after dinner for a drink. This is really the only big negative for this hotel but you are reminded of it every time you leave your room.

The Food - The quality of the food and service was wonderful. Presentation was lovely. I agree with others who commented about the many requests for room number - by hostess, then again by waiter....once only per meal please. Also, although we did receive excellent service the majority of the time, we would prefer 1 comment card where we could highlight specific waiters, etc at our convenience. Perhaps they could give this to you at check in and you could update it during your stay or maybe slip it under our door 1 day prior to departure. We know that the staff is rewarded accordingly for "good service" but the hotel could collect this information in a more professional manner.

The Pool - Adequate, clean. Busy on the weekends but always somewhere to sit....perhaps not in the shade.

The Beach - The bay is about 4 km from end to end and the beach extends most of the way. It is fairly easy to walk (not sloped on most days) and the sand is very clean and nice to walk on. Not powder soft but still enjoyable.

The Staff - The entire staff is extremely friendly and the entertainment group was our favourite of anywhere we've been (15 vacations). Carlos, Fernando and Himer - great representatives of the resort ..... not too in your face and over the top annoying but inclusive and pleasant.
Antonio around the pool was excellent. Marcello in the lobby bar was very friendly. Girl at the coffee bar was also great (forget her name). We also had a number of exceptional waiters in various restaurants and mentioned them on the comment board they gave us.

The Weather - Hot and quite humid. 32-34 degrees every day and hardly a cloud in the sky. 26/27 in the evening, so warmer than most places we've vacationed at in Mexico. Don't bother bringing a sweater for the evening, you won't need it!

In summary - We were satisfied with our decision to visit this resort. Would we return? Perhaps, but we would really like to see some changes made to the lobby bar - AIR CIRCULATION (celing and/or floor fans), more tables where you could gather to play cards, etc.

If you are considering this hotel, don't hesitate to book. Overall, we thought it was great and especially loved no dinner reservations required, no towel cards, no bracelets & n/c 24 hour room service. Loved breakfast on the balcony every morning!

Room Tip: Best rooms are above the 14th floor and end in 10-18.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank somanytrips2go
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear somanytrips2go,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate all your comments about our service and facilities, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

In reference at the little details that you have mentionated, please, rest assure that they will be taken in consideration in order to improve day after day and provide you the best service.

We hope to welcome you once again at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We recently got back from another fantastic vacation at the Sunscape, In all our travels we have never met better and friendlier staff. They treat you like you're their best friend. Our thanks to Alberto from the entertainment team , Marcello in the lounge ,and Benito a great waiter for making our stay so enjoyable. We are happy to have found such a great family resort.

3 Thank Andy C
Dear Andy C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our Resort. We are pleased to know that our Staff made your stay enjoyable.

We want to thank to you for being part of our family Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa. We really appreciate your preference.

We are looking forward to have you back at this your home.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Let me start with saying that the staff were incredible !!!
Always willing to help out with anything !
So I am not sure why at every meal we needed to fill out a comment !
Also I loved that we didn't need a bracelet.
The food at the a la cartes were great and always presented in a fine dining way.
We upgraded to a full ocean view suite and were very glad we did, the 2 balconies were great and the views 10/10. We travel a lot and the views were right up there with the best we have ever had. Now the a/c, not sure if it was that we got full on sun from sunrise to sunset or if it was just inadequate, we had it set very low but it never cooled off enough.
Also the hallways had no cooling what so ever, even the lobby bar was stifling,
fans would be helpful. The elevators were a problem as we actually got stuck in one
on the 19th floor, were able to get out but it stayed stuck for hours.
We also got the coupons but chose not to use them as you always had to spend more money than you saved. The walk on the beach is excellent and we LOVED that the hotel takes part in the preservation of the turtles. I had two massages on the beach while there, all were pretty much the same, turn right and about 10 minutes away heaven awaits, 1 hour and 20 minutes for $14 to $20 ( a bargain ) I used #4 and #7.
If you want to see something different head to the left and at the very end of the beach at the Pacifica Hotel at 3pm they feed their scraps to wild Crocodillas and lettuce to the Iguanas, kind of cool. We took a trip into Zhihuataneja takes about 20 minutes by local bus dropping us off at the Cinque de Maya street, lots of restaurants and little market booths, cool to see the fisherman on the beach. Anyway, we did love it in this part of Mexico. It was very hot and humid so be aware of that.

Room Tip: upgrade to full ocean view - GORGEOUS
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank k0sm056
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear kosmo56,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our Resort. We really appreciate each one of your comments, they are very important for us.

In reference at the elevator and a/c issue, we would like to inform you that we are working on it in order to avoid that happening again and provide you a better service. Thank you very much for your preference.

We hope to see you soon at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.