“Fun times with Friends”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Grande Cache, Canada
“Fun times with Friends”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just returned from an 8 day trip with two other couples, Apr.4-12. It was my first time in Mexico but others I was travelling with had been several times. The staff and service were excellent Monday through Thursday but come the weekend when the Mexican families started to arrive the level of service dropped. The resort itself is extremely clean, and the room were very comfortable. The beaches are the best I have ever seen. They are well maintained and the vendors are not pushy at all. However when the resort is full it is extremely hard to get either a beach or pool chair unless you get up at 6:30 am to reserve them. The food selection is good, not all of the restaurants are open every night and there were a few nights when the buffet wasn't open so you were stuck with whichever a la cartes were open or venturing out to one of the local restaurants. For the most part the a la cartes offered some of the best dishes I have ever tasted. The daily activities were a little redundant and the nightly shows weren't anything special, they weren't bad but nothing that I would pay tickets to go see. One thing I really did not like about the resort was that you did not have a wrist band and had to give out your room number to everyone that served you. Also check out is at noon on your last day and once you check out you no longer have access to any of the resorts restaurants or bars so if you have a late flight out you will want to plan something to do for the day. It was a great place to go with friends and relax in the sun, we are already planning another trip to Ixtapa in a few years but I'm not sure if we would stay here again, it's the fishing that is bringing us back not the resort. Still if you can get a good price on this resort it's worth while to stay here.

Room Tip: Most rooms come with a partial ocean view so I wouldn't pay extra for that. Rooms on the east ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JayLea97
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear JayLea97,

I would star my response by thanking you so much for taking the time to give us your valuable comments on TripAdvisor we appreciate all of them.

I am very sorry to read that our services were not fully satisfactory for you, we understand that we have people from different parts of the world with different opinions and expectations and sometimes we do not reach them all, we are so committed to our job that every day we come prepared to give our best, the wellness of our clients is our main goal. Please be completely sure that we will share your comments with all the staff and we will work on those opportunity areas that you mentioned to be better.

We hope that you could give us a chance to attend you once more in the not too distant future and provide you with the service that you deserve.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was our first time to the Pacific Side of Mexico. I was a little hesitant to come to this side, as we usually stay on the Mayan side. We are also no stranger to all inclusives. We were so impressed with the Sunscape. We travelled just the two of us, mid forties for a week at spring break. Our room was great, had a wonderful view even though we only paid for a 'partial ocean view' (I think it was 1923), it was also very spacious. The things we really liked: excellent coffee shop making lattes etc at 7:00 for our early beach visits, the food in all of the restaurants was really good, as my husband said 'never had a bad meal', and we enjoyed the variety of restaurants. I myself am a vegetarian and had no problems finding enough to eat and the a la cartes and were more than happy to make special meal for me. I found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. We didn't take in the shows, night club or swim up bars as it just isn't our thing but everyone there seemed to be having a great time.

The towel thing is problematic at this resort - both at the beach and poolside. Part of the problem at the beach is that there just isn't a huge area that they can put chairs on (and still use the palapas). People came down early and saved lots of chairs and then don't come back until much later. I really don't know what the answer is, as the hotel staff can't monitor the comings and goings of everyone. The only thought I have is this - people need to stop being so selfish and start being a little more respectful of the other people using the resort. If you're not going to be at your chair within the hour, or leave for more than an hour - don't reserve one - period.

We really enjoyed the small town of Ixtapa and really liked Zihautenjo and would definitely come back.

We would definitely recommend this resort to others and would stay again ourselves.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pea18
Dear Pea18 ,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed feedback of your stay. It is very relevant for us to know that our clients take time to give us their valuable opinion.

It is so nice to read the title of your review "Wonderful Experience" that says a lot of what your stay was like, and we are very happy to know that your time here at the resort was pleasant and comfortable, we are a committed staff, our main goal is to provide a service of excellence and efficiency and comments like yours make us feel that we are on the right direction. As for the towel issue that you kindly mentioned, please be completely sure that we are working on that to reduce it from happening.

Hopefully we will see you back soon at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Barrhead, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We just returned from a week of absolute bliss at the Sunscape in Ixtapa, March 28-April 4! We have been a few places in Mexico and nothing has compared to Ixtapa and the Sunscape! The Staff and Service there in general was the best we have ever had as well as the friendliest by far! Some of our favorites were Simon at the swim-up bar, he is a good time, funny and great at mixing those drinks-- don't let him talk you into to many tequila poppers ;) ! Antonio who serves by the pool is so sweet and very helpful and will get you anything you ask for and Alicia who is a server at Windows for breakfast and the Bluewater grill is also awesome! We always do our best to try and speak Spanish (we are in their country after all) and they all did their best to help us out and also in turn try Enlgish as well.
The Food and drinks in general are excellent and you don't get sick of it, They rotate through 8 differnet options for the a la carte and we were not disappointed once. The Buffet was great to as they had something different every night. The drinks they pour are excellent as well, with good liquor and they do not chince on the liquor at all (Especially Luis at the Lobby bar--his will sneak up on you) The shows were alright, not the best we have seen but you can tell they try really hard and it definitely didn't spoil anything for us at all. The daily entertainment crew was excellent, always getting people involved in activites (you could goon a bike tour, participate in water aerobics, beach volleyball etc.) if you wanted to participate and they also did a different "lip sync" song parady show every day on the bridge which was always good for a laugh. They also have a explorers club for kids and while we didnt take ours it seemed really great.
The beds are a litle hard but that doesnt bother me and my husband just asked for a pillow topper and that did the trick for him no problem. And we really did not find the elevators all that bad-- who's in a hurry your on vacation!!! We were on the 9th our of 11th floor with our friends and never waited for more than a minute or two. I did read though when we got back they are upgrading them in May 2014 I believe.
The Beach is beautiful! You can tell they put a lot of effort into keeping it clean! Apparently 3 people go up and down the beach every morning cleaning up everyones garbage (really can poeple not put their own garbage in a can.. but I digress ;) And it was voted 2nd cleanest beach in the world in 2013 we had heard while we were there. It is beautiful to walk up and down, super cheap massages to the right down the beach, 30 bucks for 2 people for an hour, you can also go parasailing for $20 bucks. The waves can be quite large on some days but we went swimming and boogie boarding every day and had lots of fun, they have a lifeguard on duty as well.
The Sunscape is located in the middle of Ixtapa so all you have to do is walk across the street and there are tons of shops and restaurants, we went to Franks and The General's and it was sooo good. It was so nice, that we didn't have to take a cab everywhere like every other place we have been. We went shopping in Zihuatanejo as it is much cheaper and you can take the bus for 9 pesos and ask the driver to tell you where to get off (cinco de mayo street) and spend a day cruising all the shops and checking out the little restaurants everywhere. We also took a cab and went to Playa Linda and took the water taxi, (40 pesos a person) to Ixtapa Island,but we would probably not do that again, the crocodiles are pretty cool but the island is very commercialized and not a lot of beach at all, its much nicer to stay on the beach in Ixtapa at our resort, it was also to rough for good snorkeling on Ixtapa island and there were lots of jellyfish. We went on the zip line adventure and it was a blast with Abraham (our guide) ! And he had an awesome parrot there that I thought was really cool :)
I will also add that I have never felt as safe in Mexico in general as we have here in Ixtapa. I was able to run on the paths in front of the hotels by myself and not be harrassed and we walked Zihuatanejo ( me and my girlfriend without our husbands) with no feeling of danger at all.
All in all this was the best holiday and the Sunscape was the best place have ever been and will probably not go anywhere else in Mexico again! We have been to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta etc. and it doesnt campare to us at all! The weather was amazing (bring sunscreen), there was always someything to do. The resort was clean and maintained and we loved it all!

Room Tip: There is not as many King Beds so try request them, beds can be hard for some (I was fine) But then...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cassy K
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Cassy K,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own i would like to thank you so much for taking the time to give us the feedback of your stay on TripAdvisor. We value your time and opinion.

It is very satisfactory to read that you enjoyed our resort as well as Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. The warmth of our people is what makes our destination and resort special, we make our best to show our guests how important they are to us and how essential to us is that their vacation turns into a comfortable and pleasant stay.

Please be completely sure that we will give your compliments to Simon, Antonio and Alicia, they are commited people and they will feel happy to know that you mentioned them in your review.

For us it would be an honor to have you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 10 days. Got a little tired of the buffet but the alacarts made up for it. Staff was very good. Resort was very clean. Explored both Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. Had lots of fun at Alex's bar in Ixtapa. Ixtapa Island was a little overrated. Went fishing with Big Ben. It was what you would expect. Fun though. Had lunch on Las Gatas Beach. Loved it there. Great sand and snorkeling. Also spent time on La Ropa Beach. Also very nice. If I had to make any suggestions, it was sometimes hard to get a drink at the bars due to all of the kids. Maybe make them a separate area with slush machines near the snack shack/kiddies pool.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mark v
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear mark v,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own, i would like to thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor, we value your time and opinion as it helps u to identify our opportunity areas and make improvements to provide a better service every day and achieve the satisfaction of our clients.

It is so nice to know that your stay with us was pleasant, even if there were some things that were not completely of your liking, as for the comments you made, be completely sure that we will look upon your suggestions with all the areas involved and work on those details.

It would be an honor to have you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We've just returned after spending a week (March 26, 2014) at this resort. We had no idea what to expect but very much surprised at the excellent service. All staff were so willing to do everything they could to make the stay comfortable and relaxing. Good location and very clean. All staff very friendly and we had no trouble despite the fact that we could not speak any Spanish. Food and the variety of venues just fine. "No wristband" required which was unusual and felt good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Hirji,

I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on TripAdvisor, your opinion is very relevant to us as is the most accurate way to identify the ares where we can improve our service.

Thank you so much for giving yourself the opportunity to live the "Unlimited Fun" experience and meeting our concept of freedom, I can see that you enjoyed it and also your time here in Ixtapa and our services.

For us it would be an honor to have you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The bad- very hard beds, almost like sleeping on concrete, ALL the beds in the resort are the same they told us. If you like a firm mattress, you will be fine! Very loud at night across the street as it is across from some night life, bring some earplugs! You have to stalk the elevators to watch which ones are coming to your floor, only 3 out of the 4 elevators were working and they stopped on pretty much every floor going up and down (overall you're not waiting more than 10 minutes so nothin to whine too much about when you're in a lovely resort)! All chairs are swiped by like 8am, so get up and get down there, put your towel on a chair to save it, go back to your room to sleep after if you aren't an early riser, don't feel bad about it either cuz EVERYONE is doing it!!! The spa is WAY overpriced do not go there, walk down the beach if you want a massage its much more reasonable, they have higher prices than back home there!!! They only stalk your room with three waters per day and will only bring you four at a max IF requested, all-inclusive should include all the water you need, go across the street and just buy some its cheap and it'll save you alot of time. They don't play much music at the pool and when they do you can barely hear it, for me that was a real downer but its not like it ruined the trip by any means!

The ok - the food was definitely edible, it is still resort food buffets so its not like you're going to get spectacular (I have a very sensitive stomach), best resort food I have had so far though.

The good- awesome staff, super friendly all around, good service, delicious drinks and swim up bar, good location as you can go across the street shopping and there are some great restaurants nearby (Generals and Deborah's Chili Bean), amazing weather every day not a cloud in sight, bring your water shoes the beach is HOT! Room service is very fast and good! Breakfast buffet is by far the best so don't miss it!

Room Tip: Not many king size beds so request one upon booking :)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KrisAnns
Dear KrisAnns,

To start my reply i would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on TripAdvisor. We value your time and opinion.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your time here at the resort despite the inconvinients that you mentioned, be completely sure that we will share them with all the areas involved in order to make the necessary improvements in each area. Your opinion about us helps us to be better every day.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We just returned from a week of absolute bliss at the Sunscape in Ixtapa, March 28-April 4! The service at this resort is phenomenal, very attentive and everyone was super helpful and soo nice!!! The food is delicious, wether you eat at the buffets or at the a la cartes, all were very good and lots of variety and love that you don't need to make reservations! The pool is very clean and we had no problems finding a chair ever and we were with a group of 4! The rooms are nice, awesome showers and nice balconies, the beds are hard but just ask for a pillow topper and it makes a huge difference. As for everyone complaining about the elevators, they are not that bad, really, you are on holidays where are you in such a hurry to go to! We never waited more then a minute for them and we were on the 9th floor out of 11 so we had no issues. The entertainment team has activities all day to keep you busy and laughing, shows are not the best but they do try very hard to put on a good show. They did not chince on booze here, drinks were always delicious and they used good liquor! The beach is so clean and it is beautiful to walk up and down, super cheap massages to the right down the beach, 30 bucks for 2 people for an hour, you can also go parasailing for $20 bucks. The waves can be quite large on some days but we went swimming and boogie boarding every day and had lots of fun, they have a lifeguard on duty as well. The sunscape is located in the middle of Ixtapa so all you have to do is walk across the street and there are tons of shops and restaurants, we went to Franks and The General's and it was sooo good. Shopping in Zihuatanejo is much cheaper and you can take the bus for 9 pesos and ask the driver to tell you where to get off (cinco de mayo street) and spend a day cruising all the shops and checking out the little restaurants everywhere. We also went to playa linda and took a water taxi, 40 pesos a person to ixtapa island but we would not do that again, the crocodiles are pretty cool but the island is very commercialized and not a lot of beach, its much nicer to stay on the beach in ixtapa at our resort, it was also to rough for good snorkeling on ixtapa island and there were lots of jellyfish. We went on the zip line adventure and it was lots of fun, Abraham was our guide and he was awesome!

The weather is beyond compare, so hot and sunny every day! Bring Sunscreen or you will fry!!!
The resort was also very clean and well maintained!

I would recommend this resort to anyone! It was such an amazing time and we loved ixtapa so much we are looking into buying property there. Everyone is so friendly and there is always something to do!!

Last but not least I want to give a couple shout outs to some employees who stood out for us...Simon the bartender at the swim up bar, thanks for being so much fun and always making a mean cocktail! You became a friend and we will see you again. Antonio our server by the pool, so attentive and always running to make sure you have everything you need, you are an amazing man Antonio, thank you for taking such good care of us. Last but not least, Alicia, waitress in Windows and Bluewater Grill for lunch, you were so much fun and took such good care of us, thank you for everything you made us feel like family.

We will be returning as soon as possible to the Sunscape in Ixtapa!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mindy A
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Mindy A,

On behlaf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own, i would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write sucha a nice and detailed review of us on TripAdvisor, we value so much your time and opinion.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed our resort and Ixtapa despite the little drawbacks that you mentioned, rest assured that we will work on them in order to optimize our operation and offer a service of excellence, we will also give your compliments to Simon, Antonio and Alicia, they will feel so honored to know that you have mentioned them in your review in a possitive way.

It would be an honor for us to have you back at your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.