“In a word: Spectacular.”

Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
british columbia
“In a word: Spectacular.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago & had an absolutely amazing time. The location was spectacular and the staff went out of their way in every aspect to make our stay amazing & memorable.

First off, I have to get this out of the way: To a couple of reviews that malign the amount of mexicans... you do realize that this resort is IN MEXICO. Are you aware of how racist and ridiculous your review sounds? We noticed larger amounts of locals at certain times during our stay (weekends etc) but who cares? Not to mention the fact that we are visitors in THEIR COUNTRY. How incensed would you be if a visitor came to Canada from another country and then put up a review saying how terrible a hotel was because of the number of Canadians. We are all human beings & must not judge based on race, but rather the individuals themselves. Point of fact: the most boorish adults and poorly behaved children we saw during our trip were all American or Canadian. Frankly, I am still in shock at a couple of very thinly-disguised racist reviews.

Thankfully, OUR experience was nothing short of amazing. The food was wonderful and the variety was excellent. Meals, drinks and anything you could want were forthcoming and plentiful. Everyone was extremely responsive and attentive. The nightly shows varied in quality but they were interesting to watch & a good way to unwind before bed.

We arrived just after the earthquake so we understood the problems (elevator, plaster chipped/fallen etc) and Im quite surprised to see some reviewers blaming the hotel for this!! From what I understand (from guests who were there during the event) the staff was amazing & professional and kept everyone feeling calm and safe. Despite this major event, the staff was able to keep things running smoothly almost seamlessly... truly impressive.

The only negative (and this minor) would be the wifi which really only worked well in the lobby. Ultimately though, it wasn't a big deal, and i understand its something they are working on. Having 4 functioning elevators would have been nice but I am sure the earthquake had some effect on this.

Overall, it was terrific value, amazing location and wonderful staff that made our stay very enjoyable. We especially loved visiting Javier every morning at the Windows restaurant - he and the other staff there made our daughters feel like "princesses" and they would wake up every morning & look down from the balcony to make sure he was working. :)

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone thinking of traveling to Ixtapa.

Room Tip: The family suites (there are only 21 out of 280 or so) are well worth the upgrade if you can get one...
25 Thank Jayy27
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Jayy27,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own, I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on TripAdvisor. We Value your time and opinion.

for us it is very gratifying to know that our guests leave our hotel with positive feelings and thoughts of coming back soon. We are Infinitely grateful to give us the opportunity to assist you and your family and be part of the Unlimited Fun experience

Please be completely sure that we will send your congratulations to Javier, we are very proud to have him as part of our staff, him like the rest of our team works with great passion and dedication.

Hopefully we will have the honor to give you a warm welcome back to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The three of us stayed at the Sunscape Dorado between April 19-26, which included Easter Sunday. It was our first visit to Ixtapa. Our family suite room was on the 20th floor and had a superb view of the ocean from two balconies! tt was a lovely room, kept immaculately clean, and so quiet. I would highly recommend this room type and floor to anyone. Every resort vacation we go on we tend to worry, because one of our family has trouble sleeping but in this hotel she slept very well most nights. We found this hotel surprisingly quiet compared to other Mexican resorts we’ve been to, especially considering we arrived on Easter weekend!

This hotel interior is beautiful. It reminded us of a Las Vegas hotel with the glass elevators and beautiful balconies with hanging vines. However, as we found, what made our holiday so enjoyable was the friendliness of the staff! Most of the staff we interacted with were so friendly and sweet! Below I will be thanking some of them in detail because they made our stay special.

The restaurant food we tried was all very good. I overheard a lady at the next table saying she hadn't had a bad meal anywhere at the resort. We tended to go to the buffet restaurants more (Windows/Tamarindo) over the a la carte restaurants (Bluewater Grill/Oceana). The selections were fine for us, especially the fish dishes, which we enjoyed very much.

The hotel beach was wide and so clean. It reminded us of the beach in Cancun, which is quite a compliment. However it is not a good beach for swimming because the waves are too strong. The kiddies had a blast with their boogie boards though and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

We did have a very relaxing and enjoyable stay at the Sunscape Dorado, in spite of being stuck in the glass elevators for a few minutes and experiencing an earthquake aftershock – both firsts for us! A huge thank-you to the following staffers who helped make our stay so special. Javier Guemon, Alberto, and ‘Grandfather' Benito – all at Windows/Tamerindo/Bluewater - who treated us like royalty and went ‘above and beyond' for the three of us (Mary/Ruth/Rebecca)! The wonderful girls at the Coco Cafe – Rubi and Kalina – who were so friendly in serving us coffee and pastries! The always-smiling Guadelupe, who made sure our room was incredibly clean and well-made. Ysenia, the nice “omelette lady”. Ramiro, the sweet and patient “elevator guy”. We do miss you all. We also want to thank the following for their great service: Alicia (Bluewater), Vincente (Tamarindo), Antonio & Tomas & Saul & Manuel & Esmeralda & Maria Luisa (Windows), Daniel & Isaac (Oceana)and Raoul (front desk). Thanks also to Jose, the Westjet agent, who arranged a very nice tour of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo for us, and got us that bottle of wine!!

If we come back to Ixtapa, we will definitely return to the Sunscape Dorado!

Room Tip: We found the beautiful family suite room (1 king bed and 1 day bed) on the 20th floor to be very qui...
7 Thank MSol98
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear MSol98,

First of all I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on TripAdvisor, we value your time and opinion.

For us the comfort and wellness of our guests is the most important thing as we work so hard to achieve your fully satisfaction. It is so nice to read that you felt happy with our staff services and facilities, as we have said it, your satisfaction is the most important thing for us, and the best reward that we can have, to see our guests happy and enjoying at the most their vacation for us is a pleasure. Please be completely sure that we will give your compliments to the staff members that you have mentioned, we are very proud of them, and they will be very happy when they know that their names have been mentioned by you on TripAdvisor.

Once more thank you so much for your comments, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to give you a warm welcome back in the not too distant future, and please remember that Sunscape Dorado pacific Ixtapa is your home away from home.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 11 May 2014

When I booked this trip I had no idea it was Easter weekend, but it was a pleasant stay in spite of being busy. This is my 5th stay at an AM Resort property and my 2nd stay at a Sunscape property.

My flight arrived early so I was at the hotel earlier than the normal check-in time. Initially they had trouble finding my reservation, but eventually they found it. I was disappointed to find out that my room wasn't ready even at the check-in time of 1500. I still had to wait a while longer. I was anxious to get unpacked and settled in since I had started travelling the night before. Once I did get to check-in the bellboy very quickly whisked me up to my room.

I will review the various aspects of the resort:

BEACH - I loved this beach! Although it doesn't have the turquoise waters that the Riviera Maya has, it's very pretty in its own right. There are decent-sized waves, and I loved listening to the waves crash while up in my room. Also, if you head to the beach, then walk a little ways to your right (maybe 5-10 mins?), there is a massage place that will give you an hour-long massage for 200 pesos (around $15). That's a super deal. I went every day I was there except the day I took the excursion to Ixtapa Island. I also went Parasailing for a very good price. There is also a guy who will take you out on his waverunner for 300 pesos, but I didn't do that on this trip. If I had been there one more day I might have.

POOL - I didn't use the pool at all, but enjoyed the snack place nearby. I wanted to go down those water slides like all the kids were doing, but it looked really crowded there, so I didn't go.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT - I didn't participate in too many of the activities, but I did go to the Cafe Art class and two shows. As most people already know, there is a Sundial Newsletter that is placed under your door later in the evening detailing the next day's activities. It also has the activities for the Explorer's Club for kids, discounts on spa activities/gift shop items, suggestions for excursions, drink of the day, evening show, etc. I had one excursion booked beforehand so I wasn't there the whole time, but enjoyed the activities I did participate in. I wanted to go to the walk on the beach activity, but by the time I had decided to go they had removed it from the Sundial.

RESTAURANTS - Trying all the different restaurants is always a treat! What this resort does differently than any of the other restaurants at the other AM Resorts I have been to (at least so far) is serve you up their own specialty drink when you arrive at the a la carte restaurants, It was different at each restaurant.

-Windows - I only went here for breakfast, but I went every day. I thought it was very good and they have a decent variety of things to choose from, though it seems to be relatively the same every day. There is someone there who will make you fresh omelettes and/or quesadillas, and another person who will make you pancakes (they refer to them as hot cakes), or French Toast. Their French Toast is delicious! Also, since there are Mexican tourists there as well, you get other items besides the traditional bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, deli meat and cheeses, etc. The only negative was the coffee; it was the worst I have had at an AM Resort. You're better off to go next door and get something at CoCo Cafe.

Bluewater Grill - I ate here a couple of times for lunch. The chips with guacamole and margaritas were my favorite.

Oceana - I really only like shrimp as far as seafood goes, so I couldn't find a lot on the menu that I wanted to eat. I had some shrimp crepes and dessert. Both were good. Service was really slow here though the waiters were very friendly.

Da Mario - This was great, because it was upstairs from the lobby and hardly anyone was there when I went. I had a vegetable appetizer, mozzarella sticks, pasta, and something with pistachio in it for dessert. All were very good and service was wonderful.

Gohan - This was a very nice restaurant as you can sit outside and watch the sunset while you are eating. I had Shrimp Pad Thai and thought it was very good, though I could tell the shrimp had been frozen. They also had veggie tempura for an appetizer (I love tempura!), and it was very good. I had the pecan tart for dessert.

Tamarindo - I stopped here for a late lunch. It was buffet-style and kind of hit or miss as far as the food being good. The carrot soup was very good, but some of the other entrees were just so-so. The waiter was very nice and even informed me when they were about to take up the buffet so I could go back if I wanted to.

Barefoot Grill - I loved this place. It was great for grabbing a quick snack if you didn't feel like having a whole meal.

CoCo Cafe - So glad to see this place again since they did not have one at the Sunscape in Cozumel. I went there frequently for cappuccino, pastries, and they even had pretzels.

I did not use the bars much as I usually order my margaritas with lunch/dinner. I never went to the nightclub.

ROOM - overall it was fine and I loved my ocean view. I was on the top floor (21st). I did not have any problems during my stay. Maid service was good. I like how they have a DVD player in the room, because usually I will bring my workout videos with me. I did hear people outside sometimes, and kids ringing the elevator bells, etc., but it wasn't too noisy. Sometimes I could hear music by the pool but it wasn't too bad. I thought it was strange that there was no iron or ironing board in the room, but they are quick to bring you those items if you ask for them. Some people were complaining that the beds were hard, but I thought they were ok and slept just fine.

GIFT SHOP - I did wander through the gift shop. It is fairly small, and as par for the course for resorts is a little overpriced, but there are specials on certain items advertised daily through the Sundial.

INTERNET - It didn't work most of the time for me, but sometimes I could connect. The best place to connect was the lobby, but it didn't always work there either. I could use it once in a while at around 3 am in my room, but this was very rare. Usually it would not work at the restaurants either except for Windows during breakfast.

SPA SERVICES - I always try to do one of these on my trips, and because I could get massages down the beach for not much $$, and because the facial was on special for $59, I decided to do that one. It was nice, especially since they do the extractions, but my only pet peeve is that they used latex gloves, and I absolutely hate the smell of latex and it's especially bad right by my face where I can really smell it. It seemed like the service was a bit rushed also since I was the last appointment of the day. But, with that said, the spa is very nice and you get to use the spa circuit for free with any appointment (sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, etc.). It never seems to be very crowded probably because the prices are so high, and their coupons aren't really worth it in my opinion since you can't use them with the Sundial specials and only one for a certain amount of $$ spent per service, etc., so I didn't even bother picking them up.

PHOTOS - I have done the photos on 4 out of 5 resort stays and am so glad I did! Epitacio is very good and takes wonderful pictures. I love having great vacation photos! There is usually a special for one free photo and different packages available.

TRANSPORTATION - I didn't venture out much, but a cab ride to the resort from the airport, I believe was around $35, and then going back it was much cheaper, so you are probably better off not to book round-trip at the airport. I wish they had more private companies offering transportation, but I didn't see this in Ixtapa. When I checked the Amstar web site it was $220 for a round-trip private transfer and no group options were available.

EXCURSIONS - I booked the tour to Ixtapa Island, and also a Combo Tour. The tour to Ixtapa Island was very nice and included lunch. The Combo Tour unfortunately was cancelled due to not enough people. Both of these were booked through Amstar.

Just a couple of other quick notes - it does get very hot there so be prepared for that. I went in April and temps ranged between 103 to 106F (39 to 41C). You don't feel as warm by the beach since you have the ocean breeze, but it is probably more noticeable by the pool area. Also, the elevators are a bit annoying as there are only four and not all of them are always operational, but I'm told they are fixing them in May 2014.

Overall, this was a very nice stay in a place I had never heard of before checking out the AM Resort web site. I'm very glad I got to stay here and see Ixtapa. It's too bad I didn't see much of the surrounding areas, but maybe on a future trip. Would I stay here again? Absolutely, but I like to try out different places, so it might be a while before I can get back to this one.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Daniela3883
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Daniela3883,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa staff and my own, I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review of us on TripAdvisor. We value your time and opinion.

we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your holiday and your experience was totally satisfactory. In sunscape Ixtapa, our commitment is to create remarkable memories in each of our guests and friends. Each of the aspects that you have kindly commented, please be entirely sure that they will be shared with all the areas involved because for us the comfort and satisfaction of our guests is overriding and one aspect we care very closely.

It would be a great honor to welcome you once more at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Generally, we have not taken all-inclusive vacations; however, our two weeks at the Suncape Dorado Hotel was altogether a great experience. The rooms have great views and are spotless. The food was varied, well prepared and delicious; the choice of restaurants (no reservations needed) was terrific. The beach front location afforded incredible views of the ocean and several nearby islets. There were always fun activities going in at the main pool. Most notably, the staff at the hotel were friendly, courteous, and endlessly helpful. ALL staff went out of their way to ensure guests' comfort and a good time. Michelle and Sandy were particularly attentive. We took two tours and both were very informative and provided a variety of experiences new to us (and we have travelled extensively in Mexico). It is true that the internet service was substandard and that the four elevators were rarely all operating at the same time. The hotel is aware of these two problems and repair staff were working hard to fix them. We would be happy to return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the 18th floor or higher facing either slightly west or slightly east.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JNB64
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear JNB64,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share a nice review of us on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience at our resort and pleased to know that our staff helped you to have a good time during your vacation. Please be completely sure that we will give them your compliments, specially to Michelle and Sandy.

We would love to welcome you back once again at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Hotel is located just off the beach, beaches are very clean and beautiful views. Staff goes out of their way to make it special, extremely helpful, I would rate the staff five star!!
Pool is clean, two water slides, very kid friendly, family friendly place to stay. Lots of food variety, a kids smorgasbord too. The food was very good.
The only thing that was a bit frustrating was the beds are quite hard, other than that excellent choice.

Room Tip: The hotel is updating the rooms, the lower floors have been updated
2 Thank Gaylene W
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Gaylene W,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on your experience with us . It is always a pleasure to read our guest's feedback.

We are very pleased to know that your stay with us was of your total satisfaction, it is always an honor to read that our guests recommend us through their experiences with us, it is also nice to know that we fulfill your expectations and your stay turned of to be pleasant and comfortable, We appreciate your kind comments on our staff service and facilities.

For us it would be an honor to have you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Ontario
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Sunscape, had a wonderful time. The staff are so friendly!
Room was on the 18th floor, partial ocean view with a king size bed. It was spotless! min bar was restocked daily.
Loved the no reservation policy, it was a nice change from other resorts where you are only allowed one or two al a cartes.
Food was good, breakfast was awesome! Enjoyed ordering off the menu at lunch in the Blue Water Grill, they have an amazing pear salad.
Italian was good,did not eat at the seafood a my husband doesn't like fish, but heard good comments from other guests. Room service is available, but we did not use it.
Resort was packed as we where there during Easter. After a few days, I was forced to get a wake up call every morning to go down to get a chair for the day. This is the most frustrating thing, chairs are reserved for hours with no one sitting in them ! Shade was hard to find and it was very hot
during our stay. This is one area that needs improvement.
Ixtapa is small but beautiful. We would definitely return to this area and stay at Sunscape.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank playaaqua
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear playaaqua,

We would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the community and us on TripAdvisor. your opinion is very important to us as it is to know that you enjoyed your vacation.

For us it is a great honor to read comments like yours, they make us feel that we are on the right path, working hard every day to please all of our guests and create them memorable experiences, as for the drawbacks that you experienced during your stay, please be completely sure that we will share them with the areas involved to make the necessary improvements in order to provide an excellent service.

It would be an honor if we could give you soon a warm welcome back to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Me and the family just returned from this resort on April 26, 2014. All I can say is this was the MOST HORRIBLE RESORT that I have ever been to in the last 10 years of my travels. The hotel was very run down. The staff was not very helpful nor did they go out of their way to assist you in any way. You had to chase them. The TV's did not work, fridges were not cold, there was no iron or ironing board in the room, the air conditioning units did not work and made lots of rattling noises to the point that you could not sleep at night. The sliding doors did not lock and out of the four elevators you were lucky if only two worked at one time. There was always a race to catch the elevator. It was very small and extremely claustrophobic in there. The bartenders did not know how to mix drinks so everything tasted bad. Also, as far as the internet was concerned you were lucky if you received a signal. Everyone complained about that as well. If you end up going to this resort be careful of BIG BEN on the beach. He is the guy that tries to sell you a seven hour fishing trip with snorkeling, transportation, etc. for $350.00 American. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE. The guys went out and they were gone for only five hours and the guys that assisted with the trip were speaking in Spanish and my daughter's boyfriend who speaks and understands Spanish heard them alert each other to search their bags. Clearly they are out there to rob you blind. I HOPE MY COMMENTS HELP IN YOUR DECISION NOT TO GO TO THIS RESORT. Even if I was offered a free trip back there I would not go. Oh one more thing the food was not too bad at this resort.

6 Thank Alyssa E