“The Royal Ain't so Royal.”
Review of Park Royal Ixtapa

Park Royal Ixtapa
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Park Royal Ixtapa
Jan 31-Feb 14

First time to Ixtapa and it won’t be our last time! We loved the area for its laid back style, people and the weather. The 2 weeks we were there was fantastic. Not a bad day in the sunshine! My tenth trip to Mexico and the first time a sweater was not needed or a storm didn’t kick up.
The Royal Was Ok…I would stay here again if the price was right but I don’t think I would make a huge effort otherwise. There was some positive things but some really crappy things as well.
Crappy-
The bed was unbelievably hard. The first room we had I knew would be hard so I asked for a mattress pad at check in. The first morning we left that room to be moved to a room that you didn’t hear the disco all hours of the night. The room we moved to was a little better for the noise but the bed was still too hard. (You can still hear it but it is more dull-even with ear plugs in) I asked numerous times for a mattress pad…I finally had someone at the desk tell me that they didn’t have any…later that day a maid came and put numerous layers of blankets to soften it…that didn’t work.
The disco. Who goes there???? It seems unreal that a resort would keep a disco open that people don’t attend. I know that there must be some people that go some nights because those inconsiderate jerks like to whoop and holler in the hallways once the noise of the disco goes away.
The beach chairs were terrible. It is amazing to see what the people that were in the know did to make it better. I think the air mattress market in the area boomed because of the Park Royal! I know that the next time I go to Mexico there will be air mattresses in my suitcase either to make my time on the beach better or if worse comes to worse I will sleep on it ;)
We watched the Mexican families come in on the weekends and take over the resort and the pools and leave a trail of cups and mess around the place. Water fights in the pool and the security warning people about slipping because of it. Bartenders would ignore an English speaking guest to serve a Mexican guest not caring that we were there first. Rude.
Housekeeping in our room was terrible and so was the upkeep in general of our room. The faucet was barely hanging on in the bathroom. We did tip but it was more out of expectation rather than she deserved it. There were no bugs but that was actually surprising since I found a candy melted on the bed base the first day in our room after she had just cleaned it and found the matching candy a few days later that was never cleaned up.
The water in the showers was brutal!! I think we taught some people some new swear words. I can handle a little fluctuation but the water would go from nice to scalding in seconds. Not nice and between the hard beds and the scalding showers I was swearing pretty regularly every morning. We got the smell and smoke from other people smoking in their bathrooms thru the vents constantly so I am sure they heard my swearing.
We weren’t hassled by the time share people and they could be friendly but they are right in the way of coming and going in to the elevators and going in to the buffet restaurant. Do they really need to be there?? And then when they weren’t there the women were in the tiny little lobby washroom fixing makeup and primping in the bathroom. Do they not have a bathroom that staff can use?
I think management is putting all the money that we supply to go there on our all-inclusive holidays to upgrade the Royal holiday’s rooms. The golden bracelet people always seem to have a positive spin on things there. Maybe that is because they have all the good things we want….

Running out of alcohol was strange!! Who runs out of red wine at an all-inclusive resort? Beer at the pool bar? Tequila? It really made us wonder about the management at the resort. Is it going to be open next month? Next year? I would think twice for that alone.
Good-
The food was great here! It was the best thing about the Park Royal. The staff at the restaurants were great as well. They were friendly and always made you feel welcome. There were always lots of choices for each meal and I can’t think of anything negative to say about the food. The ala carte restaurant was good for what was available and there were some dishes not available ever. We ate many meals there but it got a little boring especially when they were supposed to change the menu and never did. For men make sure you have shoes! 1 out of our group had dress sandals but was made to change to running shoes. Every time after that we counted the men in sandals. Gold bracelets….We didn’t like the way it was different for different colors of bracelets. Have 1 rule and stick with it.
We met some crazy fun people here and thankfully they were outgoing and made the entertainment in the evenings a little better. The times that these people were involved the entertainment crew spoke English otherwise the English speaking guests were ignored. I think the entertainment staff thinks that all English speaking people come from Minnesota and area! We will be on the lookout for those folks next year at a different resort and will be watching for their fart machine too.

Overall the area was wonderful!
We loved the ease of getting on a bus and going where we wanted to. We went to Ixtapa Island and spent the entire day there. We got massages, snorkeled and swam and had a wonderful time drinking cold beverages and eating lunch on comfy lounge chairs after we met a waiter on the bus on the ride to Playa Linda. He showed us the ropes and we would do that again in a heartbeat. We went in to Zihua a few times to shop and wander around and took a cab to the marina to go fishing as well. We had a great day of fishing and we caught 3 sailfish to take off our bucket lists! Only negative was when after getting up @ 0500 our tour rep called at 1000 pm while we were sleeping to see how it had been.
Parasailing on the beach was cheap! 20 bucks a person. Massages down the beach were 20 bucks for an hour! Great massages there too. Deep!
We went for dinner at the General’s and Momma Norma and Debora’s. Both were really good.
I can’t wait until next year to go back to Ixtapa but I see some real need for the Park Royal to make some changes. It would be nice to see WIFI in more than 1 tiny area of the resort. The beds need to be improved on greatly! Mattress pads can’t be that hard to come by! Do something about the water system. You really shouldn’t run out of alcohol at a buffet or pool bar. Do you really have the need to staff a disco? Do something with the time and space required for that.
We will be watching the reviews and prices to see what happens for next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sherryd
Ronald C, Gerente at Park Royal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Sherryd:

Reviewed 22 February 2014

My boyfriend & I were here Feb10-17 2014. The best vacation ever!!!! Hotel is beautiful & very well kept.everyone who works there is very friendly & always cleaning. Our room was fantastic!!!! The weather was +31 everyday & not a cloud in the sky...no rain the whole week there. The beach is also fantastic....we don't have 1 complaint about Park Royal...it was a FANTASTIC vacation. Only complaint we did have was the flight. Sunwing is great to fly with but we are both average size ppl & it was a very uncomfortable journey!!!! Next time we know to go ELITE PLUS....extra $40 per person but MORE leg room for sure :) We WILL be back to Ixtapa but might try another resort just to see if it's AS GOOD AS Park Royal!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ronald C, Gerente at Park Royal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Karen R:

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was an extended family vacation to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Our children and grandsons joined us, so we had 3 units, 1-25, thru 2-1-2014. We choose Ixtapa for the beach and were not disappointed. It was clean and warm and the sellers would walk away without a hassle (unlike the timeshare people inside). There is a strong under tow, so beware. The servers and wait staff could not have been more accommodating and kind, just great. Of the 3 restaurants only the buffet was opened always. It's fine for breakfast and lunch. The Italian restaurant does not serve those under 12, so we did not eat there. Our children did and they were out of every thing they wanted to order. The buffet for dinner was unimaginative and boring with a lot of leftovers showing up. How can you be on the ocean and be severed tilapia? We ate dinner out 3 nights. The rooms are horrible! The beds are so hard, I even stacked up extra pillows one night to sleep on. There definitely is a smell in the rooms and mold in the bathrooms. We were promised a different room and that never happened. Our shower plugged and the sink faucets leaked all over every time you used them. The whole set up of the resort is designed for the excursions, timeshare sales people. To get anywhere from the elevators you have to run a gauntlet of people. Just say no isn't enough, we thought we were working with a staff member on booking an excursion. But sadly it was timeshare, and we had a hard time getting on with our vacation, just wasted our time. We also ended up paying more at the resort for the trip, than if we had bought it on the street. Once you finally get to the pool, be careful it is very slippery despite the valiant efforts of the staff. We had 2 in our party fall, thankful no serious injuries. The pool is very crowded for a resort this size, so we spent a lot of time at the beach. We definitely will return to the area but not to this resort, or any other Royal Holiday for that matter. We did not venture into Zihyuatanejo other than back and forth to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gay B

Dear Gay B:

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Park Royal January 31-February 13th 2014. This is our fourth stay at the Park Royal and once again it was great to be greeted by name by most of the staff. The service is above excellent at this resort. We love coming back year after year to see the same staff and be treated like royalty. The staff work so hard at keeping the resort clean and will accomadate you as much as possible. We also love coming around the same time every year to see the GREAT friends that we have met!!

NOW...It is so unfortunate to report that this resort has gone down hill so bad!! I am not sure where to even start. HOW DOES AN ALL INCULSIVE RESORT RUN OUT OF ALCOHOL??? And food??? The Italian resturant does not have everything on the menu?? Even after it has been cut down to hardly anything. (I will say, that some of out group did have excellent meals here, some did not.) This resort also has a really bad bug problem, bugs are everywhere, ants everywhere in the bathroom, some sort of bugs in the bed, (you will wake up with bite marks on your body.!) The rooms have always had a slight musty smell, this year it was defiinate mold smell. Although the staff try to mop by the pool as much as possible, the tiles are so slippery, many in our group fell this year, and the pool....had many things floating in it and the tiles around the outside were very dirty. In the past we would see them cleaning the pool daily. NOT THIS YEAR!!

The hotel was overall pretty slow during the week, and would fill up on the weekends. It appeared as though the hotel would sell out to the locals, who would take over the pool/swim up bar and the elevators (pushing every button so that it would stop on every floor.) The staff would cater to these guests, playing music to them and speaking only spanish during this time, around the pool/lobby bar and in the chill out lounge. (Note to others--take excursions during the weekends--go out on the weekends.)

This was the first year that we have been approched by the Royal Holiday Team Members, we have always been told that they were not suppossed to bother people with the green wristbands. I guess that has changed. And we realized this year, that they have a hard time accepting "NO!"

We have always loved the Park Royal, and all of the staff that we have met here through our years as well as the friends that we have met. It is very unfortunate to say that we will NOT be returning to this hotel. Good Bye our friends hope to see you at our next hotel as we will for sure be returning to IXTAPA!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chris N
Ronald C, Gerente at Park Royal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Chris N:

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for 8 nights in an Presidential Room on the 14th floor. The room was quite large with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a living area (with pull out couch) as well as two balconies. The beds were a bit small and harder than we would have liked. They put towel creations in the rooms every day, which I love.
The hotel is located at a middle beach area between the marina and the Ixtapa shopping district, both within walking distance. The beach is clean and beautiful.
The food is good. We think that people who don't like the food here just need to try something different as there are so many choices. We do, as always, feel that the snack bar should offer a wider variety of choices (soft serve, popcorn, etc). The bartenders did a great job making me NA drinks as I am currently pregnant.
The staff at the resort are just fantastic as they are at all Park Royal resorts. The resort is clean and well-maintained. You do have to watch out for the sales people; they will hound you. We are members and got around this by being very clear that we were on vacation and would not be sitting through any kind of sales pitch. It is very typical to be hassled in the Mexico resort areas to purchase/sign up for 'deals' (which always have a catch).
Overall, we were very relaxed and enjoyed our stay immensely.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gina M

Dear Gina M:

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The service here is really great--they are always cleaning, helping, working. We were there for a volleyball tournament/trip and the staff treated us so well.
Bathtubs are small and the beds are hard--but other than that, it was perfect.

Also, I really hope next year they have wifi in the rooms, and not just in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank kat00731
Ronald C, Gerente at Park Royal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear kat00731:

Thanks for sharing your experience at Park Royal Ixtapa. For us is very important the opinion of our visitors and we will consider your comments.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have been to this hotel 6 times. Twice with family and 4 times just us. If you want a five star it's not the place to stay. If you like to just relax and enjoy the country and the people this is the place. The people are wonderful and the hotel is close to town.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family