“Escape the crowded beaches to Ixtapa Island”

Ixtapa Island Escape
Ranked #9 of 30 things to do in Ixtapa
Kenai, Alaska
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Escape the crowded beaches to Ixtapa Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Do not pay the high hotel rates to visit Ixtapa Island..Ride the bus or taxi to Playa Linda and book your own ticket on the water taxi to Ixtapa Island. Relax at your leisure on the island. The restaurants on the island have beaches with Palapas and umbrellas with lounge chairs-(free if you order a meal with them.)
They provide you with your water, beverages or beer and have menus. They can even arrange snorkle gear for you...again this is on Ixtapa Island after you have ridden the water taxi. I ignore the guys who want a tip for helping you on or off the water taxi...you can too. .

Visited February 2014
6 Thank ROBB99611-83352

Alexandria, Minnesota
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Isla Ixtapa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Snorkeling is the word, though great beaches, interesting food, massages, and nature walks are included at no extra charge.
We took the water taxi, and yes there is a young man waiting to help you off then ask for a tip. There are many people who offered more service and didn't ask for a tip. I really think charging a bit more for the trip and paying the helpers would not be so hard on the reputation. We did give a tip to the helper of 50 centavos as we had been warned but noted that most did not, and did not appreciate the solicitation. No one asked on the return trip and it seemed much more professional.
There are numerous restaurants on the smooth beach side and a couple on the snorkel beach side. Rebecas, the snorkel side, did not rent table but did want you to order. The shrimp, ceviche, and guacamole were great and moderately priced. I really like the lemonade there.
Snorkeling was so fun, there are fish everywhere. You can guy fish food (which looks amazingly like cat food) to draw the fish but really not necessary as there are lots of fish to see. There are guided tours which offer a raft to hang onto and guide.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank TravelerMinnesota
Lelystad, Flevoland, Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Swimming in an aquarium”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had this tour island with swimming, snorkling and sunbathing. The tour includes pick- up, lunch and guide. Our guide is Miguel, he speeks good English. He brought us at Playa Linda, from there we took a small boat at the island. Upon arriving at the site. He told us information about the beach and rules and regulation that it is not aloud to snorkle alone. A swimming vest is compulsary and a complete swimming gears needed because of lots of sea urchin. According to Flip, my husband it is like swimming in an aquarium. He saw a lots of tropical fish, blowfish, eel, etc. I find the water in this area not so clear as in La Ropa. It is because the water is brackish(fresh and sea water).

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Elsa v
mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“An afternoon having lunch on a Yatch near the Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We went with my friends yatch near the Ixtapa Island , it´s a 30 minutes from the beach and apart the food we take with us , you can order a lot of Mexican food there and they bring it from the Island to the boat , it´s really a relaxing time to be there waiting the sunset.

Visited June 2013
Menasha, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An island. Not sure what you are escaping. See Marc Anthony.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

It was a rough boat road to get there from Zihua. Got there, and they expect a tip for grabbing your hand for helping you off the boat. (Get a real job.) We went to the snorkeling side of the island and it was a bit wavy. Of course we start walking to pick out a place to land on the beach, and one guy after another is almost desperately trying to sell us a table (One of whom stated that the conditions were "perfect" for snorkeling). We do find a place to crash on the far side of the beach to limit the harassment. (I will come back to this later). My gal smartly passed on the snorkeling, but I went anyway because it wasn't like were were going to come back anytime soon to experience it. I snorkeled to one side of the cove, then to the other. When I reached some coral, There were some nice small fish, a few colorful ones. Kind of like you would see in a fish tank. Dummy me, the closer you get to the coral, the wavier it gets, and I got a little scraped up. That was fine. I needed a little excitement.
The one very serious recommendation I have is this: When you get to the beach, walk past ALL of the guys trying to take your pesos for a table until you get to the last place on the beach, to your right as you face the beach. There was only one other family sitting at the place having a bite to eat. No one came out to help (believe it or not, it was a relief at that point.). One guy was prepping to go snorkeling, and I asked him if there was someone I should talk to, since we were using one of the tables. He said that he would send someone out. Anyway, we had the BEST guy come out to take care of us. Marc Anthony (not kidding) came out and asked what we wanted to drink, gave great advice for snorkeling, and was funny. He actually but out a bucket of beer in ice and said that we could just pay for whatever we drank. He checked up on my gal while I was out, and he helped me with my scrapes when I got back. SUPER COOL GUY. My only recommendation for this island: On the snorkeling side, go visit Marc Anthony. He is what made the experience worth it to us.

Visited May 2013